Grubby Ears

Dame Aussie

So Mosley has big floppy ears which our other dog cleans quite regularly :vomit: :laugh: but today the vet commented that they were a bit grubby. No infection/issue but I'm wondering what people do for this? Our other dogs ears are pristine too but they are shaped differently :/

Is a liquid cleaner the best idea? Manual cleaning?

Fleming's ears get filthy and they're sticky-up ears - gawd knows how they'd be if they flopped. I get baby wipes (fragrance free, sensitive skin ones) and give his ears from the tip to where they join his head a good wipe out every couple of weeks. I very carefully also give the straight part of the ear canal I can see a clean with them as well. Strangely enough once his canal 'bends' it's clean.

Strange boy :D

Epiotic or similar will do the job as others have said. I also use a 50:50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water which seems to work well too, although if they have a lot of brown wax and a yeasty smell I would start with the Epiotic and once they are under control use the vinegar mix to keep them clean and fresh!

I use Epiotic too on the rare occasion I need to.

A timely reminder though.....I had my Springer at the vet for hip/elbow scoring last Friday. I asked them to have a look in her ears whilst she was sedated as she'd shown some signs of mild irritation. The occasional head shake and a very slight smell but no scratching and she wasn't worried about being examined. I guessed there was a mild infection. It turns out there was a rather large grass seed that was on the verge of causing a perforated ear drum! Nasty little thing - my vets couldn't believe the size/position of it vs the lack of symptoms.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

A timely reminder though.....I had my Springer at the vet for hip/elbow scoring last Friday. I asked them to have a look in her ears whilst she was sedated as she'd shown some signs of mild irritation. The occasional head shake and a very slight smell but no scratching and she wasn't worried about being examined. I guessed there was a mild infection. It turns out there was a rather large grass seed that was on the verge of causing a perforated ear drum! Nasty little thing - my vets couldn't believe the size/position of it vs the lack of symptoms.

That must have been scary for you to be told.

Hope Em is continuing to recover.

:)

That must have been scary for you to be told.

Hope Em is continuing to recover.

:)

I was very very grateful indeed!

As for Em, she was trying to stumble up the steep back block after her GA to go hunting lol and was hurtling around like a lunatic the next morning. But the less said about the ear drops the better! There is still a risk the ear drum could perforate (unpleasant and painful but not the end of the world) but at least the grass seed out.

Inbetween no smells, also consider either the apple cider vinegar or the Caleunda tea .

Handsome Herbert has been going swimming all year.

He does a mean shake, rattle, rock & roll after the swims.

The Vet checked his ears. Only mild inflammation. He agreed that a regime of the above was effective in conjuction with the baby wipes.

Hope you have success. I've had troubles with ears with the other Vizslas. THeir miserable faces was horrible.

:(

Baby wipes & commercial ear cleaners can be a bit irritating for sensitive dogs.

A mix of half white vinegar & half warm water does the job nicely & works as well as anything else, is cheap & you never run out of it either.

For serious waxy or smelly stuff you must see the vet.

Since her first experience with the cone of shame last year Tempeh's little pei ears now play up from time to time. Our vet gave us a bottle of Otoflush to put in for the cleaning out part (squirt in, squish the ear to distribute and stand back while they shake) and some Apex PMP drops for the infection (same application process). I don't know why but Temp HATES the otoflush. Maybe it is colder or the consistency is different? Ams taught me how to cotton bud a pei's ears but if the gunk is just on the outer part (after the otoflush) I just use a tissue or baby wipe to remove it. Tempeh runs if she says anything in my hands but I found the easiest time to do it was when she was eating. She stands still and gets a little confused about whether to eat or run but the food normally wins out and it is all done very quickly and without stress while she chews.