P I T A Vs P E T A

samoyedman

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/04/sarah-palin-peta-facebook-photo-row-trig-eat-dog

post-11908-0-64096400-1420438479_thumb.jpg

Sarah Palin has responded to criticism from the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) over a photograph she published of her son Trig stepping on a family pet.

“Dear Peta,” the former governor of Alaska and Republican vice-presidential pick in 2008 wrote in a statement published on Facebook. “Chill. At least Trig didn’t eat the dog.”

In response, in a cutting reference to the politician’s infamous struggles with questions on world affairs, Peta president Ingrid Newkirk said Palin’s words showed she “knows Peta about as well as she knows geography”.

Palin also claimed hypocrisy from Peta over its treatment of the comedian and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres and President Barack Obama, saying the latter “revealed he actually enjoyed eating dead dog meat”.

The Facebook post that caused the initial controversy showed Trig, 6, who has Down’s Syndrome, stepping on the family’s black labrador, Jill.

“May 2015 see every stumbling block turned into a stepping stone on the path forward,” Palin wrote. “Trig just reminded me. He, determined to help wash dishes with an oblivious mama not acknowledging his signs for ‘up!’, found me and a lazy dog blocking his way. He made his stepping stone.”

Sarah Palin’s post shocked some viewers.

Sarah Palin’s post shocked some viewers. Photograph: Facebook

In response, Newkirk said: “It’s odd that anyone – let alone a mother – would find it appropriate to post such a thing, with no apparent sympathy for the dog in the photo.”

In her reponse to Peta, Palin said: “Hey, by the way, remember your ‘Woman of the Year’, Ellen DeGeneres? Did you get all wee-wee’d up when she posted this sweet picture? Hypocritical, much?”

The picture Palin referred to was posted on the Facebook page for The Ellen DeGeneres Show in July last year, and showed a toddler stepping on a dog. The accompanying caption reads: “Well, that’s one way to reach a sink.” DeGeneres was Peta’s Woman of the Year in 2009.

Palin continued: “Did you go as crazy when your heroic Man-of-Your-Lifetime, Barack Obama, revealed he actually enjoyed eating dead dog meat?”

In his autobiography, Dreams From My Father, the president wrote about eating dog meat – which he said was “tough” – in Indonesia, in his childhood.

“Peta simply believes that people shouldn’t step on dogs,” said Newkirk, in a statement, “and judging by the reaction that we’ve seen to Sarah Palin’s Instagram photo, we’re far from alone in that belief. ”

Palin was John McCain’s running mate in his defeat by Obama in the 2008 election; she quit as governor of Alaska in 2009, to become a star of reality TV and the extreme right of US politics.

In her statement to Peta, she continued: “Aren’t you the double-standard radicals always opposing Alaska’s Iditarod – the Last Great Race honouring dogs who are born to run in wide open spaces, while some of your pets ‘thrive’ in a concrete jungle where they’re allowed outdoors to breathe and pee maybe once a day?”

For Peta, Newkirk said: “Palin’s Facebook response shows us that she knows Peta about as well as she knows geography. Yes, we campaign against the Iditarod because when the dogs aren’t being driven – sometimes to death – most live chained or inside cages for their entire lives.

“And we’re a vegan organisation, so we sit on pleather couches, wear stylish vegan kicks and consider fish friends, not food. (Also, by the way, we just sent a case of vegan caviar to Vladimir Putin – and no, you can’t see his house from yours, Ms Palin.)”

Peta did not doubt the care given by Palin’s family to Jill who, Palin concluded, was “Trig’s best buddy … loved, spoiled and cared for more than some people care for their fellow man whose politics may not mesh with nonsensical liberally failed ways or don’t fit your flighty standards”.

“Jill is a precious part of our world,” she said. “So is Trig.”

Edited by samoyedman

the photo doesn't bother me, if the dog didn't like it he could move. I recall as a small child climbing on to our GSD's back while he was standing and he just gave a shake of his shoulders and tipped me off so I clunked my head on the kitchen door, or the cupboards, not sure which, but I didn't do it again. I'm still as hopeless as an adult, cant sit on a horse if it doesn't want me there. :laugh:

the photo doesn't bother me, if the dog didn't like it he could move. I recall as a small child climbing on to our GSD's back while he was standing and he just gave a shake of his shoulders and tipped me off so I clunked my head on the kitchen door, or the cupboards, not sure which, but I didn't do it again. I'm still as hopeless as an adult, cant sit on a horse if it doesn't want me there. :laugh:

Agree. That dog doesn't look the least stressed. If the kid was really putting weight on, it would move or object, not sit there relaxed with tongue lolling out. Not that I want to be caught siding with Sara Palin ;)

I find it a bit hypocritical of PETA to slam Palin yet say nothing about the photo that Ellen showed the world of another child standing on a dog.

As to the actual dog in the photo, he could move if he didn't want to be stood on, but I do agree that she should have said not to do it to begin with.

--Lhok

In the photo posted by Ellen, the kid is much smaller than the dog it is standing on though. Palin's kid is bigger than the dog he is standing on which I think makes it seem worse as it looks like that kid could do some damage to the poor dog.

Palin's kid is not actually standing on the dog, he just has one foot resting on it's back. I don't think the dog would appear so relaxed if that kid put his whole weight onto it. The situation could really end badly for both the dog and the kid. Palin needs a good hard slap for thinking that is ok.

Edited by HollyMilo

• 2 weeks later...