Frozen Young Coconut?

Monchichi

Hi All,

As tomorrow in Melbourne we will be having 38 degrees weather. I normally leave my puppy (1 year old Japanese Spitz) outside house during daytime while i am at work. She has access to the garden and deck (which attached to the house) so plenty of shades for her. She spents her day sitting or sleeping either inside her kennel in the deck or just on the deck itself.

However, the past week when we had hot weathers, i was off on holidays, so she spent most of her time inside with me with the AC.

I have been thinking to do some big ice block for her tomorrow, however it might melt within 1 hour?

so i have been thinking alternative way, freezing young coconut (with the top off, so when it melts she can lick the coconut juice out of it).

Have any of you ever done this before? Will it be safe for her to chew the coconut husk?

i know she loves drinking coconut juice and eating coconut flesh (when i scoop it out for her) and she has coconut oil everyday in her raw meal too.

She has 3 clam shells fill with water already, 1 clam shell with her sand to dig. However, i think she hardly use any of these when she is home alone.

Oh by the way, as soon as I'm back home normally 5pm, she stays inside with me until the next day when i'm at work again.

maybe make her an iceblock or two ?

get an icecream container // 3/4 fill it with water ..and stir in a smidgin of a stock liquid or powder- just a very little . slice/chop some apple/carrot/a little coconut, and mix into teh water . add several pieces of kibble she likes, and a few small treat things - whatever she normally has :) Freeze overnight, and leave for her.

Edited by persephone

yes, i had thought of freezing the water like ice block thing...but it might melt within 1 hour? hence, thinking frozen coconut might take longer to melt.

probably i make a bigger one and some smaller one in soft drink bottles.

thanks persephone!

trust me - a 2 litre icecream container full of water & goodies , if placed in a large bowl in the shade will last a bit longer than an hour - and longer than a frozen coconut.

making them in soft drink bottles I haven't heard of that idea - how is the dog going to chew & lick the food out ? ;)

I like the idea too! Not so much for lasting for ages, but to give them something new and interesting. Ours get the doggie icy poles every summer, always keen to spice it up!

Although Lisa makes pretty rad ones...hahaha.

I might actually do some googling later and see if husk would be okay, hmm!

I know the husks are fine for Rotties to chew on LOL..... but I'm not sure about a young Japanese Spitz. It shouldn't be toxic - I would just be careful of the usual dangers when giving hard things to chew, ie splinters, cracked teeth, blockages etc. I personally would not give it without supervision if its the first time having it, but that's just me being paranoid.

I know a few DOLers who have given their dogs coconut and should have more experience... hopefully they will offer you some insight.

Big risk of choking for a small breed like a JS.

The husk is very fibrous & with Puppy alone, not a good choice of food.

LickyLicky Gabor would cough & splutter the few times he ever ate coconut husks.

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma

1420523685[/url]' post='6624337']

I like the idea too! Not so much for lasting for ages, but to give them something new and interesting. Ours get the doggie icy poles every summer, always keen to spice it up!

Everybody's making a blog, maybe mine should be about how to make gourmet dog ice blocks laugh.gif

Everybody's making a blog, maybe mine should be about how to make gourmet dog ice blocks laugh.gif

HOLY BEJESUS. I WOULD READ THAT. I WOULD.

HOLY BEJESUS. I WOULD READ THAT. I WOULD.

:laugh: I'll keep you posted on how bored I get!

thanks everyone.

i ended up with freezing water with goodies in 2ltr ice cream container...which after 10hours in freezer only 1/2 frozen! doh!!!!

1 small dirnking bottle with mix coconut water & water. another bottle just pure water.

came back home, the bottle with coconut water emptied...while the 2 still has water in it.

with the soft drink bottles/ small drinking bottles....she will lick the mouth of the bottles, she has done this many times at night time if it's hot day. i normally mix up the water with 1 teaspoon or less of honey.

imagine baby sucking milk bottles, that's how she does it too...so it occupies her a while.

i was thinking of freezing watermelon too, but my freezer space so limited (thanks to her raw meals occupied 3/4 my freezer...and it's brand new and bigger fridge too!)

and bit of too much sugar in watermelon for small dog like her.

anyway, when i googled the husk for dog...some even say it's good for brushing the dog's teeth..naturally..hahaha

i remember, grew up in Indonesia, some dogs play with fallen cooconut and they were fine, but with my little monster here..i'm not sure yet.

i'll give one under supervision next time first. Normally i buy it for myself, we share some of the coconut juice and she eats some of the coconut flesh too after i scoop it out.

Lisa, i'll be reading your blog too! :thumbsup: