Can Raw Cause Issues?

fluff1234

We got our husky girl 1 yr ago now, she has just turned 5. I was told she had prior raw bones in her diet but I think she had a lot of cooked foods too. I feed my other dog, raw and dry, which he was raised on from the breeder and has been for the last 18mths. They have blackhawk for their breakfast and raw4paws for their evening meal. However Our husky girl frequently gets the runs, usually coincides with when she has raw? It isnt constant, just her normal bowel motion but it comes out solid and then goes runny liquid, once she has been, then thats it, once she has been, she does a few spots of liquid when she would normally go toilet, BUT she is not constantly going, just once or twice a day, but what she does is runny. She does have a few days when we do dry day and evening and the day after she is usually solid and bowels back to normal. They would be fully raw, only we cannot afford it, but now wondering if she should just have the blackhawk and no raw? I truly believe raw is best, but unsure and confused with her bowels!! Thanks

Edited by fluff1234

Some huskies do have sensitive stomachs, and even slight changes will cause the runs. I say some, as my boy was fed raw and kibble right from the time he was on solids and he never had issues, but I also introduced him to every meat and offal type that I could get my hands on quite early - he is on fully raw now.

If the meat/organs isn't fed with some bones then this can contribute to the soft stools, there is also the theory that a dogs stomach acidity will change to accommodate the raw meat and bones when they are primarily on raw.

You mention cost, but if you shop carefully the raw shouldn't cost much more than high quality kibble, also noting that huskies will need around 25% less food than most dogs of equivalent size. I normally spend maximum around $7kg on average.

I think probiotics are a great addition to a dogs diet or raw green tripe if you can get it and this may help with tummy issues

Anyway, as DDD said "One food might suit one dog, but not the other. Same as humans. Trial and error." and this is especially true with huskies

I would think generally speaking that either all raw or all kibble might suit your dog best - but I am really guessing based on what I know from a lot of Husky owners :)

I feed all my dogs raw- of the three- one needs less bone than average, one gets an average amount of bone the other has to have more than average of gets loose stools.

So maybe the premade raw just doesnt have enough bone in it for her.

She may also be sensitive to the meat in it- Which flavour do you use?

Chicken, beef and lamb can cause issues. Beef and lamb due to richness, chicken is the most common allergen.

Edit for typos

Edited by denali

thanks, we have been using the chicken as its the cheapest one. I am going to look into trying to find a cheap source of meat if I can, see if I can afford to do just raw. She is currently on half a cup of kibble am and 250g or raw4paws in the evening, she is overweight anyway, was when we got her and has lost some, but still needs to loose more, so the vet had us cut her cup in the am to 1/2 cup.

She does have a large appetite and will eat and eat but gains weight easily.

We did get a roo bone from the vets, they said it could replace a meal and was low fat, those raw but dried ones and both dogs got the runs all day! Roo seems to upset her from trying it.

Which probiotics do you recommend please? The complete has bone in it, thinking of trying to make my own with advice from the Brisbane husky group :) IF I can source a good meat reasonably priced, the blackhawk is pretty cheap.

Some huskies do have sensitive stomachs, and even slight changes will cause the runs. I say some, as my boy was fed raw and kibble right from the time he was on solids and he never had issues, but I also introduced him to every meat and offal type that I could get my hands on quite early - he is on fully raw now.

If the meat/organs isn't fed with some bones then this can contribute to the soft stools, there is also the theory that a dogs stomach acidity will change to accommodate the raw meat and bones when they are primarily on raw.

You mention cost, but if you shop carefully the raw shouldn't cost much more than high quality kibble, also noting that huskies will need around 25% less food than most dogs of equivalent size. I normally spend maximum around $7kg on average.

I think probiotics are a great addition to a dogs diet or raw green tripe if you can get it and this may help with tummy issues

Anyway, as DDD said "One food might suit one dog, but not the other. Same as humans. Trial and error." and this is especially true with huskies

I would think generally speaking that either all raw or all kibble might suit your dog best - but I am really guessing based on what I know from a lot of Husky owners :)

Which probiotics do you recommend please? The complete has bone in it, thinking of trying to make my own with advice from the Brisbane husky group :) IF I can source a good meat reasonably priced, the blackhawk is pretty cheap.

I like the protexin green label, but the yellow (?) one I think is more concentrated so it may work out more economical in the end. There are a few other doggie ones that are mean't to be good but I have no experience with them.

And yep, Huskies need less food due to their excellent metabolism so they will stack on the weight if you are not careful :)

Any food can cause issues but worms is the main concern with raw food so worm regularly.

I find with my tiny dogs that too many bones causes constipation not diarrhea.

Over about 20 years of trying many ways of feeding I didn't find raw was any better or notice any difference really with both my dogs & cats.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a good thing to mix raw with a decent dry food. A mixture offers a more balanced diet.

If your husky has an intollerance then try eliminating certain foods from the diet and give it a go for a couple of weeks instead of changing foods daily. Is the Black Hawk grain or grain free? Most allergies are grain based, but it may be chicken if that's what you're feeding raw. It may be trial and error for a while.

We did get a roo bone from the vets, they said it could replace a meal and was low fat, those raw but dried ones and both dogs got the runs all day! Roo seems to upset her from trying it.

To be honest I would avoid those types of 'dried' bones and try something like a meaty raw roo tail, or whole lamb necks or flaps.

I think it's a good thing to mix raw with a decent dry food. A mixture offers a more balanced diet.

Sorry but what rubbish, a properly researched raw diet provides a well balanced diet and certainly doesn't need the addition of kibble to 'balance' it.

Some people/dogs don't always adapt or cope with being raw fed, so for some sticking to kibble works better for them.

Sorry but what rubbish, a properly researched raw diet provides a well balanced diet and certainly doesn't need the addition of kibble to 'balance' it.

Some people/dogs don't always adapt or cope with being raw fed, so for some sticking to kibble works better for them.

I totally agree CrazyCresties, & what's more raw & kibble should not be fed in the same meal. The two elements of the diet, ie raw & kibble are digested & absorbed at different rates. Feeding together may predispose your dog to gastric upsets.

+1 for avioding dried treats. They probably can be used in place of a meal, in the sane way maccas or kfc can... occasionally.

But i personally wont use them any more after one of our old dogs got terrible pancreatius after eating one.

Try your pooch on fresh, human grade roo.

My current boy has an off belly and a mix of kibble & white meat works for us.

Good luck

Some dogs don't tolerate a fully raw diet - my boy doesn't. I also think the whole " don't mix raw and dry" thing has been debunked as even elements in a raw diet are digested at different rates (offal vs meat vs bone). I just experimented and found what works for my dogs.

If she gets the runs on the raw, change what type of raw you are feeding until you find the one that she digests best. It could easily be the level of fat or rich marrow that is causing the runs with her. You are using chicken, change that to raw meaty lean beef or roo bones and see if that makes a difference. Chicken and lamb RMB usually have a high amount of fat in this country.

You may need to experiment a little before you find what does work for her.