Backing Up

Hi.

I am trying to teach Hamish to back up on command. I walk in to him with a plan to click and treat when he backs up. Whenever I walk towards him he sits and if I move closer he bounces back in a seated position. Any ideas of how I can keep him standing?

This is how I've taught back up:

Use a corridor. Make one if you don't have one - you can use a wall and a coffee table or chair on its side, or a crate, anything to make a corridor. This gives them less options about where to go and how to move.

I kneel or sit down and shape the behaviour, so if you are using a marker you can mark and reward for any foot movement, then any foot movement backwards, build it up so they are walking backwards. Throw your rewards between their front feet rather than have them come forward to get it from your hand. You have to be careful of your timing and placement of reinforcement so that you don't reward a sit or drop.

I've just done a PDF file up on this for my class. If you wanted to PM me your email address I can send it to you :) I tried all sorts of methods including the against the wall & treats between her front legs, but all that did was confuse her. Obviously works for some people. I was taught a simple way at a doggy dancing class & it took me all of 5 minutes to teach backup to my girl who I had previously been struggling with. Using a clicker & shaping.

Great videos Sheena! Are you working towards a hand stand with that last one?

I'm having issues with backing up straight... Somehow my girl deviates to my left (just like Bindi in your second video). In frustration she taught herself to reverse back around me :o

I am working towards a handstand. In that last video you will notice that the first time she deviated off the mat, I accidently clicked, but the next time she did it, I didn't click & she came back & did a straight one. She will also back around my legs. Loves that one so much that I can't do a reverse heel, cause when I start to move my foot backwards, she reverses around me & I have to watch I don't step on her :laugh: She will also do a reverse leg weave & a reverse away from me followed by a spin & reverse back between my legs...though she often misses my legs in that one....but we are working on it. The way to get 'straight' as well as 'distance' would be to put a rolled up towel behind, starting off close behind..clicking & treating when her back feet touch the towel, then gradually move it further back etc. etc. Once you have distance you can then reduce the width of the rolled up towel, so that they have to concentrate on going back straight. :)

Cool video. I saw a border collie back up a wall a couple of days ago. It is a pretty neat trick.

Tried with the chair today. He started getting lazy and going around the back. doh.gif Oh well baby steps.

Thats not lazy...thats smart :laugh: Just make sure he doesn't self reward with the treat. Just start off sitting in the chair & dropping it right between your feet & click him for getting it, then put the next treat a little further in, click him for getting it, then a little further & this time click him while he is moving backwards & he has to go back in to get the reward. Make sure you click while he is moving, otherwise you are not marking movement :)

Edited by sheena