In Sa: Rotti Attacks Westie And Westie Owner Goes To Hospital

Mrs Rusty Bucket

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/26772013/woman-attacked-at-dog-show/

Extract of the transcript - (stuff in brackets - I put in)

Dogs SA has launched an investigation after a woman was mauled at a Kilburn Dog Show.

The all breeds event (Pug Club according to the SACA Journal if yesterday was Sunday) was held here at the Dogs SA showgrounds yesterday when just before 1:00pm a woman was bitten by a Rottweiler.

It's understood it tried to attack her West Highland white terrier, then turned on her when she intervened.

The 52-year-old suffered severe bite wounds to her arm and back and was taken to hospital.

The Rottweiler was restrained immediately and has been suspended pending an investigation.

(Brian Parker, President SACA says:) "That's a nationwide ban on the dog, so the association at this stage has taken every action it can to prevent the incident reoccurring."

It's not the first attack at a dog show here.

In 2012, a 9-year-old boy was bitten by a Rhodesian Ridgeback and needed stitches.

(they play footage of ambulance with a lot of ridgebacks in the foreground but no "file footage message")

Despite the incidents, Dogs SA says it's doing everything it can to ensure its events are safe.

(Brian Parker, President SACA says:) "With a thousand dogs on the ground it's very hard to say we can stop it. We can't say that, but we do our best."

A tribunal hearing will be held within two weeks to decide the Rottweiler's fate.

Whether it should be put down is a matter for the local council.

I wasn't there, didn't see anything, haven't heard anything except for a news break tonight on the telly (ch 10 I think - but the web link is ch seven).

Hope the Westie and owner are ok.

Oh how awful for the victim, the Westie and the Rottie. Where was the Rottie's owner whilst this was taking place I wonder. She too must be devastated.

The lady who was bitten has a good attitude. I hope her recovery is relatively quick and painless.

This is a direct quote from the owner of the rottweiler

To eliminate all the stories about the incident that occurred at the all breed show yesterday in SA This is what really occurred my male Rottweiler broke free from his crate n chased a west highland terrier where his owner seen my dog coming at her dog the lady then picked him up to protect him, my Rottweiler lunged up bitting her once on her back n once on her arm by that time I already had hold of my male n he was contained n put away I then went back to help the lady n apologised to her I then went into shock myself n had to be attended to as well. In no way do I think this behaviour is at all exceptable I'm truly devastated n sorry for what has happened n will Not being showing this dog at all breeds ever again

The lady who was attacked is a very close friend of mine and had a long chat with her last night, she is fine just a bit sore and stiff, she was taken to hospital by ambulance and she said that they flushed her wounds out and gave AB's and a tetanus shot, she had not had one for years,

her sister stayed on at the showgrounds for the second show and took the Westie in for exhibition and all was well with her.

I was actually at the show with my baby Frenchie whom the sister showed for me and saw it all.

The victim at the time, after she had been attacked, kept on saying to us in the tent that she did not want it to go any further as it would shed a bad light on dogs once again.

Channel 7 kept ringing her during the day to try and make a bigger story of it than what it really was, stating she had a Staffie, think they were disappointed when she said she is a little Westie and how dare they try to implicate another beautiful breed. Guess that is journalists for you.

I'm glad we've got some sensible updates.

Glad the westie and its owner are ok. Feel a bit sorry for the Rotti owner. I know a lot of extremely gorgeous well behaved rotties that I could not imagine doing anything like that. well maybe a burglar who came over the back fence of their home might be in trouble but nobody out and about in a public space. Even one they visit regularly.

I know one rotti that I cannot trust but I don't think it's a pedigree, and I think most of it's problems are at the other end of the leash.

There's lots of things I'd love to go to the media about - but they tend to make stories into over the top dramas and often in a way that helps nobody but themselves. Some people handle that better than others and I'm glad both dog owners have chosen to inform us via other methods.

This is a direct quote from the owner of the rottweiler

To eliminate all the stories about the incident that occurred at the all breed show yesterday in SA This is what really occurred my male Rottweiler broke free from his crate n chased a west highland terrier where his owner seen my dog coming at her dog the lady then picked him up to protect him, my Rottweiler lunged up bitting her once on her back n once on her arm by that time I already had hold of my male n he was contained n put away I then went back to help the lady n apologised to her I then went into shock myself n had to be attended to as well. In no way do I think this behaviour is at all exceptable I'm truly devastated n sorry for what has happened n will Not being showing this dog at all breeds ever again

That is pretty full-on and I am glad she is taking it seriously. Hopefully she will engage a behaviourist to help her with this problem.