Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

m-j where the hell will 10 - 15,000 unwanted greys go every year? I think a law of that nature is bound for failure as there are simply not enough homes available for them all to go to. Perhaps some breeders will be forced to curb their breeding numbers if they already have a kennel full of duds looking for a home? But I say to you again that there are already laws in place for ALL dog owners and there are additional rules in place for dog breeders and conditions placed on anyone who is a member of a dog related activity and yet all these terrible things are still happening. No-one is policing these things now. These are the people who are ruining it for the entire industry because great trainers and breeders pale in comparison to the number of dodgy ones unfortunately. The majority you talk about now are the wrong doers and I don't think you can turn that around as the baddies will always look for ways around the rules. The industry has effectively killed itself at present (unless something radical comes about).

A couple of you have touched on the financial gains (or lack thereof) of the industry. So who is making the money off these dogs? The punters? Trainers? Breeders? Owners? It sounds all so lucrative but I still can't see the pecking order? With horse racing I'm thinking it would be the owners up top (prize money and status) but with dogs it seems different.

Good dogs do make lots of money but they are a very very very small %. This why slow dogs are destroyed to make room for the next Brett Lee hopeful. For those that don't know Brett Lee is the worlds fastest Greyhound, his service fee (straws) was $32,000 last time I looked, not to mention what he actually won for his owners. Thousands of offspring over many years but none are as good as dad. It is very hard to get a good dog, but that doesn't stop people from trying because if they do make it financially it is worth it, at least the unprofitable dogs won't die if legislation is introduced and the industry is monitored and policed, by an independent body.

Sorry Im just not getting this bit - unprofitable dogs will still die and in fact I wouldnt be surprised if more dogs die from now on than prior to the last round of bad press .If they are taken to a vet and dealt with legally and disappear the bad press goes away.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a genuine question. If registration costs are raised, what makes people think that trainers will choose to rehome or place their dogs into rehoming programs rather than opt to euth as many do now?

There are some that use industry funded programs or rehome privately but I've heard first hand what trainers think of GAP and other rescues and it's not positive.

Yes I was at the vet about 3 months ago and a greyhound breeder bought in 8 dogs to be PTS and said they would prefer to do that than go anywhere near rescue.Turns out they also breed GSD and do the same with their ex breeders rather than have any attention on them for not keeping them.

It happens all the time. The two biggest rescues in NSW, not GAP, are loathed by a large majority of trainers.

They are viewed as the enemy and with suspicion and rightly so by owners and trainers.

Oh I agree 100%. I've said it a million times over the years but it falls on deaf ears. They want to publically threaten owners and trainers and then expect them to hand over dogs? pffft aint gunna happen. You reap what you sow :shrug:

I have a genuine question. If registration costs are raised, what makes people think that trainers will choose to rehome or place their dogs into rehoming programs rather than opt to euth as many do now?

There are some that use industry funded programs or rehome privately but I've heard first hand what trainers think of GAP and other rescues and it's not positive.

Yes I was at the vet about 3 months ago and a greyhound breeder bought in 8 dogs to be PTS and said they would prefer to do that than go anywhere near rescue.Turns out they also breed GSD and do the same with their ex breeders rather than have any attention on them for not keeping them.

It happens all the time. The two biggest rescues in NSW, not GAP, are loathed by a large majority of trainers.

Seems to me that if you want more breeders to hand over dogs to rescue for rehoming rather than quietly asking the vet to PTS then you cant have a situation where the people who are doing what you ask are beaten up and judged etc.

Correct. Their stupidity is actually killing more dogs, they don't see it that way though. Too busy high fiving each other.

You can, however, introduce new rules to your association that members must abide by.

As I mentioned previously, it is not against the law to shoot a greyhound but it is against Greyhounds Australasia rules and the consequences can be very serious.

What is needed (for the association) is an independent body to oversee disciplinary processes- people who do not profit from the industry in any way.

Yes to this. :thumbsup: Clearly defined ethical guidelines that members of an association must follow. With real monitoring & real consequences for breaches. Good, too, the recommendation about independent overseeing.

Certain actions may not be unlawful, but according to the agreed-on values of an association, they are not tolerated when done by its members. Which is why I've been trying to find a clear set of ethical guidelines set down by the greyhound racing clubs in the eastern states. I have found 'committees' charged with ethical scrutiny. But I'm trying to find 'scrutiny' of precisely what. Does anyone know?

Any such ethical guidelines for greyhound racing will need to take into consideration, the changing public expectations about how dogs should be treated. After all, the continuance of greyhound racing is linked with public support. There's been changes over recent decades in how police & military dogs are raised and dealt with. Even tho' they're 'working dogs', they now fit into the 'dog as companion' value.

You can introduce laws and guidelines prohibiting dogs being put down by anyone but a vet but what of the one that's living on a property 100 ks away from a vet which breaks its back, gets hit by a horse or a car and needs to be dealt with so already you have to have exemptions.Current laws with companion animals allow a vet or someone experienced in euthanasia to do the job so that gives permission to using a shooter . Then if you try to make rules about not doing anything other than rehoming them - there is immediately a whole bunch of what ifs too. What if the dog is not suitable for being rehomed for a variety of reasons ,what if you don't have the resources to keep the animal in optimal health etc?

Because the law will say they need to be responsible and each dog will have a paper trail.

GRA already has a paper trail. Any retired Grey must be accounted for.

If you want to bring in legislation that requires a paper trail for dogs, then this must apply to everyone. All breeders, owners, trainers and the general public. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and this includes the thousands of "pet" owners that dump and or dispose of their animals .

yes.

H

Because the law will say they need to be responsible and each dog will have a paper trail.

GRA already has a paper trail. Any retired Grey must be accounted for.

If you want to bring in legislation that requires a paper trail for dogs, then this must apply to everyone. All breeders, owners, trainers and the general public. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and this includes the thousands of "pet" owners that dump and or dispose of their animals .

Wouldn't it be great clean out pounds as well. Those that do the right thing have no worries.

m-j where the hell will 10 - 15,000 unwanted greys go every year? I think a law of that nature is bound for failure as there are simply not enough homes available for them all to go to. Perhaps some breeders will be forced to curb their breeding numbers if they already have a kennel full of duds looking for a home? But I say to you again that there are already laws in place for ALL dog owners and there are additional rules in place for dog breeders and conditions placed on anyone who is a member of a dog related activity and yet all these terrible things are still happening. No-one is policing these things now. These are the people who are ruining it for the entire industry because great trainers and breeders pale in comparison to the number of dodgy ones unfortunately. The majority you talk about now are the wrong doers and I don't think you can turn that around as the baddies will always look for ways around the rules. The industry has effectively killed itself at present (unless something radical comes about).

A couple of you have touched on the financial gains (or lack thereof) of the industry. So who is making the money off these dogs? The punters? Trainers? Breeders? Owners? It sounds all so lucrative but I still can't see the pecking order? With horse racing I'm thinking it would be the owners up top (prize money and status) but with dogs it seems different.

Good dogs do make lots of money but they are a very very very small %. This why slow dogs are destroyed to make room for the next Brett Lee hopeful. For those that don't know Brett Lee is the worlds fastest Greyhound, his service fee (straws) was $32,000 last time I looked, not to mention what he actually won for his owners. Thousands of offspring over many years but none are as good as dad. It is very hard to get a good dog, but that doesn't stop people from trying because if they do make it financially it is worth it, at least the unprofitable dogs won't die if legislation is introduced and the industry is monitored and policed, by an independent body.

Most of the unprofitable dogs will still die because the simple fact is too many are bred in the pursuit of greed and there are not ten thousand or so suitable retirement homes for greyhounds PER ANNUM in Australia.

Most of the unprofitable dogs will still die because the simple fact is too many are bred in the pursuit of greed and there are not ten thousand or so suitable retirement homes for greyhounds PER ANNUM in Australia.

Not if legislation was changed. Look how quickly the bikie laws were introduced it was only a matter of months. The money generated from the rise in regos can fund extra facilities being started to cater for the retired dogs. If it cost the owners an extra $500 dollars per dog to actually get their dogs to retirement stage and that money went to that independent body it could be possible. The bookies and TAB could help too.

Not if legislation was changed. Look how quickly the bikie laws were introduced it was only a matter of months. The money generated from the rise in regos can fund extra facilities being started to cater for the retired dogs. If it cost the owners an extra $500 dollars per dog to actually get their dogs to retirement stage and that money went to that independent body it could be possible. The bookies and TAB could help too.

'Extra facilities for retired dogs' Are you suggestion they be sent to kennels or some sort of mass retirement home, rather than an actual family home? Not really a solution.

There are currently way too many potential racing greyhounds bred for there to ever be enough retirement homes for them.

Nothing you can say will change my mind that racing animals for sports betting can ever be a good thing for humanity.

There is already talk of sanctuaries warehousing of Greys. Unless "rescue" or industry funded groups have the means to rehome suitable dogs in an acceptable period of time (a matter of months) then for me it's not an option that's in the best interests of the dogs.

I agree with gruf. Betting on animals in any way is in really bad taste in my opinion.

I don't even think betting on human sports has served humans or sports, well. At least humans have a choice whether or not they play the sport though.

I agree with gruf. Betting on animals in any way is in really bad taste in my opinion.

I don't even think betting on human sports has served humans or sports, well. At least humans have a choice whether or not they play the sport though.

Yep. I don't like any type of gambling. Its a weird world when there are people starving yet others are just handing over their cash on a whim....boggles my mind.

At least if it's on humans in sport as you say, they have a choice.

'Extra facilities for retired dogs' Are you suggestion they be sent to kennels or some sort of mass retirement home, rather than an actual family home? Not really a solution.

There are currently way too many potential racing greyhounds bred for there to ever be enough retirement homes for them.

Nothing you can say will change my mind that racing animals for sports betting can ever be a good thing for humanity.

The facilities for them to be assessed in and live at until they are rehomed. It's a pity that I can't change the mind of you and others who think the industry should go because if the industry is closed down I'm guessing it would go underground MANY MANY more animals WOULD SUFFER and DIE in the long term.

The facilities for them to be assessed in and live at until they are rehomed. It's a pity that I can't change the mind of you and others who think the industry should go because if the industry is closed down I'm guessing it would go underground MANY MANY more animals WOULD SUFFER and DIE in the long term.

I agree, a minority would try to operate underground, but I don't for a minute believe that without major track stadiums and television coverage and government backing, that the underground could ever thrive and produce the numbers of animals as it does for the public arena.

There are too many bred for them all, or even a reasonable percentage, to ever be rehomed. :banghead:

I agree, a minority would try to operate underground, but I don't for a minute believe that without major track stadiums and television coverage and government backing, that the underground could ever thrive and produce the numbers of animals as it does for the public arena.

There are too many bred for them all, or even a reasonable percentage, to ever be rehomed. :banghead:

I agree with Gruf on both counts.

Will also point out that, like other dogs, there have been plenty of laws made that have not been enforced. Enforce those laws they do have and new laws might not be needed.

If demand goes so will supply. Demand will drop, some owners are really stingy, they whinge that it costs them heaps to raise and race a dog now. That's another reason they don't go into rescue they think that rescue organisations make money from their dogs and why should they pay to give them their dogs.

I agree with Gruf on both counts.

Will also point out that, like other dogs, there have been plenty of laws made that have not been enforced. Enforce those laws they do have and new laws might not be needed.

Exactly, except I would like to see the owners of the dogs be made accountable for their lives after racing and ways found to be able to do that.