Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

I'm just curious would anyone be against the industry if all the dog's owners (owners decide the fate of the dogs not the trainers) were made to be responsible for their dogs, just like any other dog owner?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just curious would anyone be against the industry if all the dog's owners (owners decide the fate of the dogs not the trainers) were made to be responsible for their dogs, just like any other dog owner?

the dogs are already the responsibility of the owner - but some of the owners just leave the dogs with the trainer to get rid of when past their used by date

and no - absolutely nothing would change my stance on the industry

I thought shooting a dog as a method of euthanasia was legal in Australia? As was disposal of non-medical waste? I see why they're suddenly on this like a fat kid on a cupcake but it's a bit too little too late. Taskforce pffft. When I was at vet school the university lab manager would go get fresh greyhounds every week, a boot full of them, for us to use for dissection. One had about 5 puppies still inside. Where was the 'taskforce' then?

I have not been following this thread but this post horrifies me. See bolded part. That is so shocking and students are often attracted to vet science because they love animals. :mad Those poor students!

Exactly the reason a friend of mine didn't make it through vet training, this part of it was way too distressing.

I thought shooting a dog as a method of euthanasia was legal in Australia? As was disposal of non-medical waste? I see why they're suddenly on this like a fat kid on a cupcake but it's a bit too little too late. Taskforce pffft. When I was at vet school the university lab manager would go get fresh greyhounds every week, a boot full of them, for us to use for dissection. One had about 5 puppies still inside. Where was the 'taskforce' then?

Good point that it's not as if shooting or otherwise 'disposing' of greyhounds was something new & formerly a closely guarded secret. I've posted before that, years ago, a decent owner/trainer next door, brought home to be a pet, a 'failed' grey named Boofy.... because he was going to be shot.

It seems that public expectations about how dogs should be treated has caught up with the greyhound 'industry'. I heard someone on talkback radio saying the public should be as horrified if this were scores of 'shot' & decomposing labradors.

The logistics of what's done with surplus greyhounds aren't helped by a set of stats I saw that Australia is the third largest producer of greyhounds in the world.

Edited by mita

So apart from the wastage and disposal of the dogs and repercussions from greed and lack of empathy from the scumbags that own the dogs, (which are all very valid reasons to dislike the scumbags that do this) what is it that makes you think the industry/sport is repulsive? Bearing in mind there are people involved in this sport that do the right thing and their dog's welfare during and after racing is important to them.

Shooting may not be illegal but a mass grave with bullets strewn to me leaves it open to the imagination that dogs were shot in front of each other, that is what I consider inhumane. Noise, stress, smell of blood etc is not an appropriate environment for an animal to be euthanised in

Shooting may not be illegal but a mass grave with bullets strewn to me leaves it open to the imagination that dogs were shot in front of each other, that is what I consider inhumane. Noise, stress, smell of blood etc is not an appropriate environment for an animal to be euthanised in

But even if this could be proven to be more than imagination - having a dog witness the death of another dog is not illegal and the carcasses had different stages of decomposition as well so there isnt anything to show it wasnt one dog at a time.

The entire situation would most definitely appear to be totally horrible and un acceptable - but whether or not there is anything to be done about someone shooting their own animals, when a quick shot by an experienced shooter is considered a quick non suffering death especially in rural areas, in a reasonably secluded rural area, where shooting might be something to be expected, in a reserve like this around here there are people out shooting every day of the week, and leaving their spent cartridges and bullets everywhere with the bodies in a reserve just as shooters often do with foxes and roos etc

What are they going to charge them with?

But even if this could be proven to be more than imagination - having a dog witness the death of another dog is not illegal and the carcasses had different stages of decomposition as well so there isnt anything to show it wasnt one dog at a time.

The entire situation would most definitely appear to be totally horrible and un acceptable - but whether or not there is anything to be done about someone shooting their own animals, when a quick shot by an experienced shooter is considered a quick non suffering death especially in rural areas, in a reasonably secluded rural area, where shooting might be something to be expected, in a reserve like this around here there are people out shooting every day of the week, and leaving their spent cartridges and bullets everywhere with the bodies in a reserve just as shooters often do with foxes and roos etc

Perhaps all they'll be charged with is illegal dumping, and maybe from the Qld greyhound board (I dont know what they're called) bringing the sport into disrepute.

So apart from the wastage and disposal of the dogs and repercussions from greed and lack of empathy from the scumbags that own the dogs, (which are all very valid reasons to dislike the scumbags that do this) what is it that makes you think the industry/sport is repulsive? Bearing in mind there are people involved in this sport that do the right thing and their dog's welfare during and after racing is important to them.

Personally I think in the 21st century any form of sport where animals are trained to perform for no other reason than human greed and entertainment is repulsive.

Among the tens of thousands of racing greyhounds across the country i'd hazard a guess that only a tiny percentage are waking up inside a nice warm home this morning. Most of them will be waking up in a tiny concrete cell with a sack bed and a coat on if they're lucky.

For our greed, entertainment and viewing pleasure.

[

Charges have already been laid. ABC reported them as relating to possession of firearm (s).... maybe, I'm guessing, something to do with licensing. And the woman charged with obstructing police in their investigation. Nothing, as yet, included about treatment of the greyhounds. It was added that autopsies are being conducted to determine cause of death.

Personally I think in the 21st century any form of sport where animals are trained to perform for no other reason than human greed and entertainment is repulsive.

Among the tens of thousands of racing greyhounds across the country i'd hazard a guess that only a tiny percentage are waking up inside a nice warm home this morning. Most of them will be waking up in a tiny concrete cell with a sack bed and a coat on if they're lucky.

I said in a previous thread that there appears to have been a change (or development?) in public perception about racing greyhounds. GL's post sums up the crux of that.

The greys are being seen by an increasing number of people, the way they see dogs generally. Animals that are specially close to humans who, in turn, care for them in a 'special' relationship. That even applies to how our police & military dogs are raised, socialized and treated.

I agree with m-j there are greyhound trainers/owners who step up admirably in how they treat their dogs ... & ensure care (& life) into retirement. I've seen one up close. But what he'd quite casually mention about the general 'wallpaper' of treatment of greys didn't fill me with confidence in the 'industry' overall.

I heard a decent owner/trainer (of many years) phone in to a talk-back radio program & he described the 'good' people he knew. But he was dismissed quickly with the comment, 'Yes, we know that'd be so, but it doesn't balance out what seems to be large scale, now unacceptable ways of treating dogs.' I felt a bit sorry for him, he'd appeared to do his best in what lay within his immediate responsibility. But, as another caller had said,'This is as horrifying as if it were scores of labradors found apparently killed & left to decompose.'

Edited by mita

Yup. Agree.

Could just be gossip but I think I read on FB before that they had found at least one microchip in the carcasses.

I don't know how realistic I am being here or how far I think things should go but I'm starting to think we need to take a long hard look at a lot of things we do with animals. We are supposed to be a civilised society but we use farming techniques to poorly breed companion animals, and greed and corner cutting to save money/make more money in both the greyhound and horse racing industries (remember the public outcry after last Melbourne Cup?). Maybe as a species we are incapable of putting the needs of animals first when it comes to money and if that is the case we need to make sporting activities involving animals and mass breeding of companion animals illegal because we can't be trusted to follow the rules already in place. We have ruined these things for ourselves. We have nobody else to blame for bad media or the loss of income. We are causing the senseless deaths of innocent creatures for fun, entertainment and money. I don't think I can continue to pretend that is ok with me anymore.

Great post ^ LG.

I expect there will be more discoveries of this nature in future.

A single person was found to have killed over 10,000 Greyhounds in the UK.

I think he was charged with illegal dumping or some other offence not directly related to killing Greyhounds.