Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

Dog racing of any kind is not only banned but illegal in most US states for a reason. Its about time we followed suit.

Hazy et al I absolutely understand and respect your position on the greyhound racing industry so please don't hit me. But this is absolutely sub-human and unacceptable in the 21st century. While I know it has yet to be proved this is the doings of a greyhound racing trainer, IMO its highly unlikely to be anyone else. And if it is, then the federal government must step in with a transition plan to wind down this industry over the next few years - there clearly is no other option. While I feel for those reasonable trainers and their families, I'm sorry but this industry cannot continue in any shape or form. Nick Xenophon where are you????

Hazywal hasn't even replied in this thread and to suggest that we believe that the disposal of (presumably healthy and rehomable) dogs is acceptable is pretty damn rude. We've both spent god knows how much of our time and money saving greyhounds :mad

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could just be gossip but I think I read on FB before that they had found at least one microchip in the carcasses.

I don't know how realistic I am being here or how far I think things should go but I'm starting to think we need to take a long hard look at a lot of things we do with animals. We are supposed to be a civilised society but we use farming techniques to poorly breed companion animals, and greed and corner cutting to save money/make more money in both the greyhound and horse racing industries (remember the public outcry after last Melbourne Cup?). Maybe as a species we are incapable of putting the needs of animals first when it comes to money and if that is the case we need to make sporting activities involving animals and mass breeding of companion animals illegal because we can't be trusted to follow the rules already in place. We have ruined these things for ourselves. We have nobody else to blame for bad media or the loss of income. We are causing the senseless deaths of innocent creatures for fun, entertainment and money. I don't think I can continue to pretend that is ok with me anymore.

It makes you wonder about the mental capacity of the people responsible for this. Surely they understood, sooner or later the bodies will be found and it wont do the industry any good even if they personally dont get caught. :confused:

This is what makes me think they were probably legally killed. You'd have to be all kinds of stupid to illegally kill and dump even a single greyhound if you were a trainer.

There are bullets scattered around the site, how horrid

Dog racing of any kind is not only banned but illegal in most US states for a reason. Its about time we followed suit.

Hazy et al I absolutely understand and respect your position on the greyhound racing industry so please don't hit me. But this is absolutely sub-human and unacceptable in the 21st century. While I know it has yet to be proved this is the doings of a greyhound racing trainer, IMO its highly unlikely to be anyone else. And if it is, then the federal government must step in with a transition plan to wind down this industry over the next few years - there clearly is no other option. While I feel for those reasonable trainers and their families, I'm sorry but this industry cannot continue in any shape or form. Nick Xenophon where are you????

Hazywal hasn't even replied in this thread and to suggest that we believe that the disposal of (presumably healthy and rehomable) dogs is acceptable is pretty damn rude. We've both spent god knows how much of our time and money saving greyhounds :mad

Maddy your reaction is precisely what I was trying to avoid and it doesn't help the discussion. In other threads I remember Hazy (maybe you?) have very calmly and reasonably explained alternative views on the greyhound racing industry which I listened carefully to but I still reached a different position to your general defence of the industry - nowhere did I say you thought that this mass killing is acceptable. This sort of knee jerk reaction is unhelpful particularly when I tried very hard to recognise alternative views on the industry. So IMO you need to calm down and read posts correctly.

Could just be gossip but I think I read on FB before that they had found at least one microchip in the carcasses.

I don't know how realistic I am being here or how far I think things should go but I'm starting to think we need to take a long hard look at a lot of things we do with animals. We are supposed to be a civilised society but we use farming techniques to poorly breed companion animals, and greed and corner cutting to save money/make more money in both the greyhound and horse racing industries (remember the public outcry after last Melbourne Cup?). Maybe as a species we are incapable of putting the needs of animals first when it comes to money and if that is the case we need to make sporting activities involving animals and mass breeding of companion animals illegal because we can't be trusted to follow the rules already in place. We have ruined these things for ourselves. We have nobody else to blame for bad media or the loss of income. We are causing the senseless deaths of innocent creatures for fun, entertainment and money. I don't think I can continue to pretend that is ok with me anymore.

I agree LG - good post - I think it was Lyn White from Animals Australia who said that she can come to no other conclusion but the mixture of animals, prize money and gambling turns men into monsters - or words to that affect - and I agree - I think that's the combination which must stop.

ETA accurate quote: "Putting together animals, gambling and prize purses is a toxic mix. It's capable of turning men into monsters," said Lyn White from Animals Australia.

Edited by westiemum

Like the live baiting, this appalling find of dead greyhound remains en-masse :cry: is not an isolated instance :mad and is part and parcel of the greyhound racing industry "wastage" :mad . I have made my position on the greyhound racing industry very clear in the other greyhound racing thread, this industry needs to be shutdown. Whilst it continues operating, thousands of greyhounds will continue to lose their lives every year and thousands more will continue to live a life of misery and the financial considerations of the industry will continue to be placed ahead of the welfare of the greyhounds :mad

Maddy your reaction is precisely what I was trying to avoid and it doesn't help the discussion. In other threads I remember Hazy (maybe you?) have very calmly and reasonably explained alternative views on the greyhound racing industry which I listened carefully to but I still reached a different position to your general defence of the industry - nowhere did I say you thought that this mass killing is acceptable. This sort of knee jerk reaction is unhelpful particularly when I tried very hard to recognise alternative views on the industry. So IMO you need to calm down and read posts correctly.

If you don't want a hostile reaction, don't word things in such a way that it makes it seem as if we support any part of it. We don't, simple as that. Again and again, we've tried to explain why it has to be handled with great care and every time, get accused of being pro racing by people who have no idea of how the industry works and what the consequences will be for the dogs if groups like AA get their way.

I thought shooting a dog as a method of euthanasia was legal in Australia? As was disposal of non-medical waste? I see why they're suddenly on this like a fat kid on a cupcake but it's a bit too little too late. Taskforce pffft. When I was at vet school the university lab manager would go get fresh greyhounds every week, a boot full of them, for us to use for dissection. One had about 5 puppies still inside. Where was the 'taskforce' then?

I thought shooting a dog as a method of euthanasia was legal in Australia? As was disposal of non-medical waste? I see why they're suddenly on this like a fat kid on a cupcake but it's a bit too little too late. Taskforce pffft. When I was at vet school the university lab manager would go get fresh greyhounds every week, a boot full of them, for us to use for dissection. One had about 5 puppies still inside. Where was the 'taskforce' then?

Down here, there was legislation proposed to outlaw shooting of dogs but I believe it is still legal.

However, under GAR, trainers are not allowed to destroy their own animals (unless under specific welfare guidelines). A vet could shoot the dog and that wouldn't be a problem, so far as I can see (unless there is some other rule that specifies means of destruction by the vet. If there is such a rule, I'm not aware of it).

Edited to add.

Some states have local amendments to rules. Victoria does seem to specify means of destruction by a vet. Regarding destruction for humane reasons, Tasmania has this LR:

36.4 If a greyhound is seriously injured and is suffering, and there is no alternative other than for the greyhound to be euthanased, such euthanasia must be performed expeditiously by the most appropriate means available and performed humanely.
Edited by Maddy

I have not been following this thread but this post horrifies me. See bolded part. That is so shocking and students are often attracted to vet science because they love animals. :mad Those poor students!

Dog racing of any kind is not only banned but illegal in most US states for a reason.

I'm fairly sure there is still a lot of sled dog racing. I also seem to remember an incident in the US where 100 huskies were either shot or had their throats slit after a sled dog tourism business went bust.

As for the Queensland incident, while it might have been legal to shoot the dogs, at least dumping their carcases in a nature reserve should be treated as a severe case of littering, given the health hazards from the rotting carcases.

I have not been following this thread but this post horrifies me. See bolded part. That is so shocking and students are often attracted to vet science because they love animals. :mad Those poor students!

I remember sharing a house with a vet student in the eighties. Someone turned up at the door saying they had a dog for her. Ok I thought, guess she is getting a dog and forgot to mention it. Turned out to be a dead greyhound in a bag. Common practice.

If you don't want a hostile reaction, don't word things in such a way that it makes it seem as if we support any part of it. We don't, simple as that. Again and again, we've tried to explain why it has to be handled with great care and every time, get accused of being pro racing by people who have no idea of how the industry works and what the consequences will be for the dogs if groups like AA get their way.

Read your own words Maddy. The bolded words are your interpretation of what I said when I was actually trying to acknowledge another point on view. You deliberately jumped to the worst conclusion and I'm not letting that stand. There are huge variations of opinion on what should happen to disband or regulate this industry all of which are worthy bog discussion. You do not help your cause at all by attacking people who are actually trying to acknowledge other view. And appalling events like this move many people closer to AAs position - and its naive in the extreme to think it doesn't. As I said, read posts properly.

Edited by westiemum