Bomb Proof Recall

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see some videos Corvus - it sounds gorgeous. How long did it take to teach do you think?

Huski - what method or methods do you use?

My own dogs are taught a recall in drive but there are a number of ways to train recall, different methods work better for different dogs and owners.

Here's a semi-decent one of Kivi the naughty spitz recalling at the beach some years ago. That was pretty typical at the time, but he has got faster and more enthusiastic about everything in the last couple of years, including recalls.

I also found this one from a trip where we had the GoPro on Erik's back. If you don't get seasick. You can't see Kivi because Erik is too busy racing him back, but you can see Kivi enjoying his artisan sourdough at the end. :angel:

Er, I meant to say it took about 12 months to get it pretty strong with Kivi, but he's hard. Erik I never actually did proper recall training with. He has always been pretty happy to recall.

Edited by corvus

I worked really hard on Elsie's recall, and am doing the same thing for recall training Ping my little Podengo. I tried a few different things including some modified Susan Garrett recall games, some stuff from Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed program and bits from the RRR DVD too. Elsie's recall is pretty bombproof around everything except while mid chase after hares, I used to be able to call her off mid chase every time, but I have been really slack in my recall training with her over the last year and it's showing now. If I call her early enough I can get her back, but if she is in full flight and yelping after them I don't have a chance :) We walk 3 or 4 times a week in a forest that is rampant with hares and she chases at least 10 on every walk, so gets a lot of opportunity to practice chasing... I really should do more work with her!

Hi stressmagnet....

Im just posting this to give you a little moral booster - It is quite possible to train a recall from just about any situation, although it's best done with a "leave" foundation base. See link below, when I used to post here some years ago 'Ernie' & 'SteveK9' were giving good guidlines for that sort of thing alone with a few others whose usernames I cannot recall, no idea if they still post here, see link for recalls from predatory chases & a couple of other things & take some hope from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33iI12-N-U

Hi stressmagnet....

Im just posting this to give you a little moral booster - It is quite possible to train a recall from just about any situation, although it's best done with a "leave" foundation base. See link below, when I used to post here some years ago 'Ernie' & 'SteveK9' were giving good guidlines for that sort of thing alone with a few others whose usernames I cannot recall, no idea if they still post here, see link for recalls from predatory chases & a couple of other things & take some hope from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33iI12-N-U

Are you training a recall using an E collar :confused:

Ernie seems to need a loud 'OI!' To get his attention. I need to remember I got him from a kennel situation when he was 6 mos old - and I know he'd had little if any formal training. He us only now getting what it means to be in trouble. It's hard to train a dog who has no concept of when you are actually NOT pleased with him. Also given his age (12mos), I also think he is just a boneheaded youngster.

His recall is getting better - when prefaced with a loud OI!!! and his 'leave it! Is getting really good. He actually left a dead maggotty bird alone this morning,

As for an e-collar - I'd rather avoid using one at this point. I think used correctly they can be a good training tool, but I don't think we are at that point yet. I will say that the recall prowess of the dog (s??) shown is really impressive and I like the lavish praise heaped on the returning dog.

My lapphund would not have the faintest idea when someone is not pleased with him, and if he did grok, he likely wouldn't care. It's hard to be angry with him when he's so gleefully unrepentant. So, we don't depend on him knowing or caring when we are displeased. He is what he is, and that means we have to work a little harder to make him want to do the things we most want him to do.

Leslie McDevitt's Whiplash Turn and Leave It from Control Unleashed are definitely other good places to start.

Also, someone just told me RRR is now available as video on demand through Amazon. As of, this week, I take it, because I checked last week! http://www.amazon.com/Really-Reliable-Recall-Unavailable/dp/B00TE8X13M/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1430215536&sr=1-1&keywords=really+reliable+recall

Edited by corvus

Or come when I say 'cheese'?

I definitely want to have something which motivates Ernie to come instantly. And I'm not going to give up.

This is what I did when I was training my team.

Squat, clap my hands and call "come cheese". It worked for us.

I think it depends on the dog. My two bullies were perfect. The third always hesitated somewhat :laugh:

I have also found that the command 'wait' works better on some dogs.

My lapphund would not have the faintest idea when someone is not pleased with him, and if he did grok, he likely wouldn't care. It's hard to be angry with him when he's so gleefully unrepentant. So, we don't depend on him knowing or caring when we are displeased. He is what he is, and that means we have to work a little harder to make him want to do the things we most want him to do.

Leslie McDevitt's Whiplash Turn and Leave It from Control Unleashed are definitely other good places to start.

Also, someone just told me RRR is now available as video on demand through Amazon. As of, this week, I take it, because I checked last week! http://www.amazon.com/Really-Reliable-Recall-Unavailable/dp/B00TE8X13M/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1430215536&sr=1-1&keywords=really+reliable+recall

Can I watch this on my iPad? I've never bought videos from Amazon before - tho I'm an old hand at iTunes.