Grooming A Golden Retriever

Kavik

I found that the zoom groom doesn't really penetrate down to the undercoat on a double coated dog so found it pretty useless. I use a comb and brush, easy peasy. Recently got a comb with rotating teeth which is really nice; glides through the coat. When the dogs are dropping a lot of coat I alternate between wider and finer toothed combs to get the dead coat out.

Are zoom grooms really that great for Goldens? I have one and have used it on my GSD, but was not super impressed with it, so don't use it anymore

Edited by Kavik

Undercoat rake, comb and pin/slicker brush. I've found zoom groom's to be pretty useless on dogs with longish hair, they're good for short haired dogs though! Also wouldn't recommend a Furminator for a Golden as it will rip and break the hair.

Hi I own golden retrievers I've got a almost 10 week old male named Axel and a 7 year old female named Shelley. I use the undercoat rake,a comb and slicker brush, I plan on buying the mars coat king 18 double for grooming too. With the undercoat rake,comb and slicker brush it takes me about 1 hour to throughly brush out Shelley sometimes takes a little longer then a hour depending how much dead undercoat she has.

The first thing I would invest in is a good force dryer, it will be a lifesaver. Zoom grooms are best used in the bath while the dog is soapy then again while conditioning.

The other main tools are slicker brush soft, metal comb and undercoat rake, if they want to neaten up the feet and feathers themselves they will also need a good pair of scissors.

I would also get a good quality shampoo and conditioning spray that is suitable to be left on the coat.

There is no way they will get a force dryer lol - my sister's husband (will be his dog) is not like us. I knew he wanted a dog for a while but the weekend before last he called me and said - OK we are getting a dog now! And was looking at gumtree adverts to go look the next day! I managed to steer him towards a breeder, have convinced him to get a crate (they have 3 kids aged 4 to 7 and one on the way) and a proper kennel rather than using the kids cubby house. Some good grooming tools, sure, but even I don't have a force dryer :laugh:

Invest in a good firm slicker brush, a medium/coarse steel comb, and a large pin brush.

I get a twitch just saying the F word.....please dont use a furminator all it will do is cut, split and frazzle the top layer of coat and leave the thick coat untouched in the crucial areas around the pants and ruff etc.

Teach them how to pull the coat up or push it back and groom the coat down through the layers.

Above all else, tools aside....the best advice is to, despite the puppy not having a huge coat to start with, teach the dog good grooming manners from the get go. Teach it to sit, stand or lay down calmly (whichever is their preference) and tolerate a moderate amount of vigorous grooming. Grooming should be taught as routine, always done the same way with the same routine, to give the dog the best chance of growing accustomed to it all.

Oh...and the best best advice..... no matter what tools or training..... actually make the time to do grooming regularly and thoroughly!

For $80 on ebay I bought a Lantun 2 speed dryer to 'road test' for puppy owners. Working well so far. Most pet owners don't think they are necessary (and for years I didn't have one either). And you can get away without one for sure. But boy they cut the work in thirds (i.e. more than half) and those that have purchased one have thanked me profusely for convincing them.

And Ditto what GrufLife said on the Fuminator and the training. Can't emphasise the training enough.

Edited by espinay2

Undercoat rake, comb and pin/slicker brush. I've found zoom groom's to be pretty useless on dogs with longish hair, they're good for short haired dogs though! Also wouldn't recommend a Furminator for a Golden as it will rip and break the hair.

Another vote for this.

Plus - groom REGULARLY. Once every couple of months is a nightmare for both you and the dog. Get into the habit of raking the dog out weekly, it will be quick and easy - get the kids involved! Bathing is not required so often, though.

Oh and if they get a slicker brush tell them to run it gently over the back of their hand so they get an idea of how much pressure to use before it hurts.

I have seen many owners hurt their puppies with the brushes because they push down too hard and the pups become afraid.

A good under coat rake,comb & slicker brush is all you need.

I would suggest they train the dog to be brushed on a table ,yes an extra expense but worth every cent & makes grooming so easy & simple & saves your back plus ts great for checking the dog over .

If they don't want to invest in a table whilst pup is still little place a heavy duty mat on top of the crate & brush pup there ,its crucial from day 1 to teach good manners & wanting there pants & tail brushed

its crucial from day 1 to teach good manners & wanting there pants & tail brushed

Definitely agree with this! My Aussie used to hate his pants and tail being brushed, took ages for me to train him to the point that he will sit still for a brush there! He's good now, but gee I had some trouble with that for quite a while!