Chihuahuas

I'm noticing a trend towards the deer type as opposed to the apple head chihuahua. Any particular reason? The nose is getting longer, the head is getting narrower and the ears are definitely taking a life of their own. I've been looking for an apple head chihuahua for my mum for the last 10 mths, mum's very partial to the breed and it's the only breed she's ever owned, she lost her beloved Bobby 12 mths ago and she's now ready for another to spoil and dote on. I'm not knocking the deer type but imo they look like a mini foxie esp the short coated type.

Not sure why the apple head is disappearing I think they look a lot nicer, the deer type to me don't look correct. It took me ages to find my girl, I waited until an older pup was available (Claudia was 8 months old when we got her) so I knew exactly how she would turn out.

Guest donatella

If you give up on the Chi hunt , you might want to look into the Poms, in the right lines they have that Apple head, short nose, the coat is very easy maintained with regular groomer visits.

Keep looking, the right one will come along.

Chihuahua are my heart breed. I have owned three, Billy a red long coat, Rita a black/tan smooth, and Joseph a tri long coat. They were all correct breed type with Apple heads and molera. I wonder if there is a push away from the apple dome head in some uneducated circles who may think the molera is wrong or cruel? I can only assume that the molera may be lessened in the deer type? I definitely have more chihuahuas in my future!

Donatella, I love Pomeranians but they are worlds apart in temperament from the correct chihuahua temperament. I am guessing the op really wants that chi temperament, as well as the correct conformation to go with it.

Guest donatella

At this stage it appears looks seems a priority, I am only throwing in my 2 cents, I'm sure the OP will take what they want from it

I have a handsome young Chi.

The pics old but he's developing a lovely headpiece.

He's by a KFinch dog

Just WoW!!!!

I was lucky enough to be at the Sydney Royal in April & spent time watching the Chi's struting away.

Fine dog you have

:thumbsup:

At this stage it appears looks seems a priority, I am only throwing in my 2 cents, I'm sure the OP will take what they want from it

didn't you notice this bit ?Talking about chi's ?

<<mum's very partial to the breed and it's the only breed she's ever owned, she lost her beloved Bobby 12 mths ago and she's now ready for another>>

Guest donatella

didn't you notice this bit ?Talking about chi's ?

<<mum's very partial to the breed and it's the only breed she's ever owned, she lost her beloved Bobby 12 mths ago and she's now ready for another>>

Didn't you notice it's a forum and I can comment as I please? Why don't you concern yourself with your own business and the OP will take or leave what they want from my post

Edited by donatella

If you give up on the Chi hunt , you might want to look into the Poms, in the right lines they have that Apple head, short nose, the coat is very easy maintained with regular groomer visits.

Yes, you're quite right in saying "in the right lines they have that Apple head, short nose"….some Poms I've seen do have that slightly pointier nose. The right Pom is mesmerising to look at but mum's heart dog always has been and always will be the Chihuahua. Poms are quite sprightly, gorgeous little creatures, love the way they move.

Edited by Perfumed Lillium

Guest donatella

Yes, you're quite right in saying "in the right lines they have that Apple head, short nose"….some Poms I've seen do have that slightly pointier nose. The right Pom is mesmerising to look at but mum's heart dog always has been and always will be the Chihuahua. Poms are quite sprightly, gorgeous little creatures, love the way they move.

I understand completely, I'll always have poms. Good luck in your search, keep an eye in rescue too I fostered a guy just as you describe a few years back a37057054aee7427af3af59c0ae263db.jpg I nearly kept him he got on with my girl great!

My sister own's a chi, fantastic little dog, loves babies and kids and personality plus! She got her though from a puppy shop before they knew better.

post-4191-14320730913057_thumb.jpg

She is on the left lol, I have been asked more times then I can count if my griff is a chi lol.

Edited by Alibi

I probably shouldn't have opened this thread, I miss my chis :( My first one was when I was a kid, we got him from a breeder he had the more apple shaped head than my second boy who was from a pet shop so not 100% sure if he was pure, he had the more deer shaped head. Both big chi personalities though.

My second boy, only lost him a couple years ago :cry:

e72db09a433c2821cbc36b2dd89ed84b.jpg