Amazed Yet Sad

Yonjuro

My good friend has been batting cancer for the last 12 month and after major surgery and a very long time on Chemo she was given the all clear. During the treatment she had to be very careful of getting scratches etc due low immunity and high risk of infection, so contact with Ronin was avoided to be on the safe side as he LOVES people and get very excited when we have visitors. We were all super happy when her tests came back that the cancer was gone!

So last week she finally is able to visit and Ronin was very calm, greeted her very gently and gave her a good thorough sniff which, although not highly unusual - his manner was. He looked at her and just stood by her allowing a nice pat, I thought nothing of it at the time except that he was such a good boy but unusually calm. When we spoke to her this week she was very upset that her levels have started to rise again, and the doctors are quite concerned.

We are all upset about this, but I am also amazed that Ronin knew something was wrong, of that I have no doubt whatsoever :(

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes dogs can be a bit fixated with people who are getting chemo because they get a different smell. I know my dogs thought my Mum smelled peculiar when she was getting chemo. Fingers crossed for the best outcome.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes dogs can be a bit fixated with people who are getting chemo because they get a different smell. I know my dogs thought my Mum smelled peculiar when she was getting chemo. Fingers crossed for the best outcome.

Thanks Pie,

She finished her chemo and was given the all clear 3 months ago - after Ronin's sniffing she has been back for routine tests and her levels are rising agin :(

Sorry about your friend Y .. Let's hope even though the news is not good that it's not as bad as it sounds. I think your right with mr R dogs know when things are not right .. Best wishes to your friend.

Sorry about your friend Y .. Let's hope even though the news is not good that it's not as bad as it sounds. I think your right with mr R dogs know when things are not right .. Best wishes to your friend.

Many thanks happypaws

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Y. And I have no doubt Ronin knew something was up before you both did. I'm sure I've read that dogs are able to tell somehow if someone isn't well. I hope it isn't as bad as you both fear and all fingers and Westie paws crossed for you both here.

Dogs are really amazing. I was reading recently about dogs that will detect blood sugar spikes in diabetics, and I think a study of them correctly pinpointing cancer. Hope the news is the best it can be, given the situation.

Dogs know when someone is not well.... and some can detect things we cannot.

One of my Rottweilers was especially intuitive when anyone was unwell. One day a mutual friend came over with another friend... Blossom was usually all over him like a rash - she loved him to death. This day she was vary wary of him and backed away from him and barked every time he tried to pat her... and 2 days later he had a massive heart attack and required an emergency quintuple bypass... she knew!

My brother's dog knows when my brother is about to have a turn, and will actually go get his meds if they are at home. If they are out, the dog will start acting a certain way to let my brother know he has to get his meds asap.

Hopefully your friend's relapse has been caught early and can be treated successfully.

T.

Yonjuro - happy to help her through this. Just PM me. I too was given the all clear and then had a relapse within 3 months. It's not.a Death sentence no matter what 'they' say - I'm proof of that. I was given 18 months over 8 years ago and while yeah, I'm still doing chemo - there's way more to my life than cancer. Sending a hug to your mate, she must be feeling shell shocked but you just tell her my story and tell her that someone has to be at the top of the bell curve - why NOT her?

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Y. And I have no doubt Ronin knew something was up before you both did. I'm sure I've read that dogs are able to tell somehow if someone isn't well. I hope it isn't as bad as you both fear and all fingers and Westie paws crossed for you both here.

Thanks Westiemum

Dogs are really amazing. I was reading recently about dogs that will detect blood sugar spikes in diabetics, and I think a study of them correctly pinpointing cancer. Hope the news is the best it can be, given the situation.

Thanks Jemmy

Dogs know when someone is not well.... and some can detect things we cannot.One of my Rottweilers was especially intuitive when anyone was unwell. One day a mutual friend came over with another friend... Blossom was usually all over him like a rash - she loved him to death. This day she was vary wary of him and backed away from him and barked every time he tried to pat her... and 2 days later he had a massive heart attack and required an emergency quintuple bypass... she knew!My brother's dog knows when my brother is about to have a turn, and will actually go get his meds if they are at home. If they are out, the dog will start acting a certain way to let my brother know he has to get his meds asap.Hopefully your friend's relapse has been caught early and can be treated successfully.T.

Thanks Tdierikx, Truly amazing what our four legged friends are capable of.

Yonjuro - happy to help her through this. Just PM me. I too was given the all clear and then had a relapse within 3 months. It's not.a Death sentence no matter what 'they' say - I'm proof of that. I was given 18 months over 8 years ago and while yeah, I'm still doing chemo - there's way more to my life than cancer. Sending a hug to your mate, she must be feeling shell shocked but you just tell her my story and tell her that someone has to be at the top of the bell curve - why NOT her?

Thanks Stressmagnet,

I will let my wife know about your kind offer. Our friend is quite a private person, but it always nice to know there are people able to offer support.

So many conditions are now being helped by having assistance dogs. I think it is wonderful across the board, but specifically on two points: 1) the person must be able to have so much more confidence because they have help from a very special creature; and 2) the bond that would form would be so satisfying and close.

Hopefully your friend's relapse has been caught early and can be treated successfully.

Absolutely this, Yonjuro. We always knew the Ronin was special :thumbsup:

As usual, SM, you come out with something that stops us in our tracks and makes us think and re-evaluate our thoughts and actions. :thumbsup:

Yonjuro, I get the whole private thing. You'd be surprised at how little I really share about the last 8 years. But cancer can be lonely and a bad diagnosis even more so. People aren't sure what to say or do, so often they pull away. It's understandable but very very saddening for those on the receiving end.

If I may put on my Pointy Advice Hat - just be there if she withdraws or goes quiet. Rock up to her place with a meal or a bottle and if she's not accepting company - stick it in her hands and leave. If she's not adverse to company but is sad or angry, that's ok - just nod and make noises. Just don't assume that other folks are doing what you are, because I can tell you - a bad cancer diagnosis makes friends desert in droves. It's like the bad news is contagious.

The friends I've kept are the ones that ignored me when I told them to go away in tears and the ones who let me say sad things and the ones who drove me to appointments or who helped me with makeup or who just hung in there.

Yonjuro, I get the whole private thing. You'd be surprised at how little I really share about the last 8 years. But cancer can be lonely and a bad diagnosis even more so. People aren't sure what to say or do, so often they pull away. It's understandable but very very saddening for those on the receiving end.

If I may put on my Pointy Advice Hat - just be there if she withdraws or goes quiet. Rock up to her place with a meal or a bottle and if she's not accepting company - stick it in her hands and leave. If she's not adverse to company but is sad or angry, that's ok - just nod and make noises. Just don't assume that other folks are doing what you are, because I can tell you - a bad cancer diagnosis makes friends desert in droves. It's like the bad news is contagious.

The friends I've kept are the ones that ignored me when I told them to go away in tears and the ones who let me say sad things and the ones who drove me to appointments or who helped me with makeup or who just hung in there.

Thanks Stressmagnet, great advice much appreciated :)