Ernie Stinks

Hey all

Some of you may know my lab boy cut himself on a stick near his penis about a month ago. A deep cut but didn't get stitched after the vet decided it was healing beautifully.

At the same time he was healing, he went up stay with a friend as I was having a shoulder operation.

Ever since he's come back, he stinks. He never used to smell bad at all, now the smell is so bad it makes my eyes water! I can only describe it as a funky sour smell. I've bathed him and his bedding - it's back. I thought it might be a yeast infection from the antibiotics, so I've been added Greek yoghurt to his meals - but it's not helping.

Obviously, I'm going to take him back to the vet - but I'd love some ideas in the meantime.

ETA: I first thought he'd been peed on by my mates undesexed males; and his bedding definitely showed that. However the bath should have fixed it. I'll also point out that his own bedding remains dry so I don't think he's incontinent.

Edited by Stressmagnet

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's that bad I would be going to the vet tomorrow. Probably hold off bathing with any shampoos or soaps etc too until you can get him vet checked.

Hopefully it's not the wound.

Have you checked his ears? Lab ears can be prone to infection and can get pretty stinky.

Edited by LisaCC

Any chance there was a change in his diet while he was away?

My Lab x used to be one of those stinky dogs until I learnt about grain free diets - she stunk that badly that she was a wash your hands straight after patting kind of dog :( I could bath her today and she'd stink tomorrow. :eek: Switched her onto grain free, no more smell, no more ear infections and no more itchies :)

Might be worth having a whiff of Ernie's ears just to make sure there's no ear infection happening. Check his mouth too - does his breath smell? Their teeth get awfully dirty very quickly if they aren't getting bones to clean them as usual.

Well he came back a tubby boy. After 3 weeks back on his normal grain free kibble and raw, he's back to looking HAWT. So his diet definitely changed-- I suspect they are the type of 'cheap kibble and leftover gravy from the dinner' folks.

I AM thinking its a yeasty thing - given change of diet AND antibiotics. But I guess I thought 2 weeks of yoghurt would have it sorted if it was. He's sparky and happy, he's just stinky!

Yea have a look in his ears and mouth again now, 2 weeks is enough time for something to grow. Give them a sniff if you aren't sure what you are looking at, healthy ears shouldn't really smell at all.

Have you noticed him scratching anywhere or rubbing anything?

Edited by LisaCC

If the vet suggests an anti fungal shampoo, i can recommend paw mediderm. You only have to leave it on for 5 mins, whereas the other one usually suggested you're meant to leave on for 10mins! I'm sure you can imagine how much fun that is...

Well he came back a tubby boy. After 3 weeks back on his normal grain free kibble and raw, he's back to looking HAWT. So his diet definitely changed-- I suspect they are the type of 'cheap kibble and leftover gravy from the dinner' folks.

I AM thinking its a yeasty thing - given change of diet AND antibiotics. But I guess I thought 2 weeks of yoghurt would have it sorted if it was. He's sparky and happy, he's just stinky!

Food definitely makes a smell difference. And the weight it brings is sort of a squishy soft all-over fat (if that makes sense).

Yeasty skin is a bit of a pest. It stinks and usually malaseb is recommended but it's got some toxic ingredients that I don't think you need to be touching. Pine Tar based shampoos are less nasty and pretty effective. :)

Guest crazydoglady99

Probiotics?

Some protexin added to his food?

I love your posts/replies/descriptions of Ernie!(makes me want a lab!!)

Edited by crazydoglady99

Aw thanks AnimalLover!!

He's currently stinking up the lounge room but still managing to stage sneaky cuddle attacks and looking at me with his best 'noble head tilt'.

I reckon it's his glands due to the crappy food he was eating. Honestly, when he came back, I was embarrassed for him. The first time ANY dog I've owned was fat. And I had to endure the 'fat Labrador' lecture from the vet with my best good girl expression because I could tell the vet didn't believe my boy wasn't always a tubster.

So in a weird way, taking him back to the vet when he's now looking fit -- EVEN STINKY -- will be a vindication. I can say 'See? You thought he was lovely before, look how good he looks when he's been eating properly. Just move that gas mask for a better look'.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Ages ago Sonny all of a sudden got this god dam awful smell about him. Like a musky, old sweat shirt kind of. All I know is he smelt off. Turns out he was allergic to grain. I changed his dry food to a grain free & with in 48 hours he was back to smelling like roses again. Maybe well worth a try Stressy :)