Difficult With Chemical Smell In Food From Tablet

Hi I have a miniature poodle & used Advocate until she had a reaction to it so I changed to Panoramis tablets. The problem is when I crush the Panoramis into her food it gives off a chemical smell & she will not eat it. I think I will 1/2 the tablet & give this over 2 days but does anyone else have this problem with Panoramis & what do you do?

Thank you Steph for your fast reply - my dog is a miniature poodle & the Panoramis is about as big as a 5c coin & very thick - maybe I could break it into 4 & try the cheese trick - I'll see how I go

I used to feed my dogs canex tablets - huge pink horrible things. And smelly.

But they don't smell so much when you place them inside a teaspoon of peanut paste (xylitol free), and then put that inside a sardine with olive oil.

And never mind the size of the package - I don't think my dog bothers chewing it. She just swallows it as fast as she can in case I might change my mind and ask for it back.

All meds here go into plastic cheese slices - and down the hatch they go - no stress, no trouble. Even the really big ABs only need to be halved and wrapped up in plastic cheese and whoosh down they go. I keep a packet of the Homebrand cheese slices in the fridge just for this purpose!

Thank you for these great ideas keep them coming - I will try these - I'm sure one will work

What about opening her mouth & shoving it down her throat? If you put the tablet far enough back over the tongue it can only go down :D

Hi Trifecta it doesn't bother me to shove it down her throat as that is what I have done with all my past dogs but this tablet is so large & thick I would need to cut it into 4 pieces & after the first piece shoved down I know I would have trouble with the other 3. This is the last thing I want to do because I know I will get impatient & she will get frightened.

Hi Trifecta it doesn't bother me to shove it down her throat as that is what I have done with all my past dogs but this tablet is so large & thick I would need to cut it into 4 pieces & after the first piece shoved down I know I would have trouble with the other 3. This is the last thing I want to do because I know I will get impatient & she will get frightened.

Gee, sorry, didn't realise it was so big :eek:

Could you switch over to Comfortis, tablets aren't too big.

To tablet my dogs I either mix them in cat food or if they need to be pushed down their throat I coat them in butter first.

Thank you a good idea but Panaramis covers many things fleas, heartworm & others - a good idea re coating tablets in butter.

Max gets his pills coated in cream cheese. For some antibiotics he has had them crushed, mixed with a little water and syringed into his mouth when the vet couldn't dispense them in a paste (which is usually for cats).

Thank you all good ideas I will give them a try.

I'm currently using senteniel spectrum chews - a bit like the old drontal ones. Evil hound will happily eat them without peanut paste or sardines. A bit scary really.

I used to have a horse who could filter worming powder from pollard powder. Ended up getting his wormers by injection - easier for everyone except the vet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using senteniel spectrum chews - a bit like the old drontal ones. Evil hound will happily eat them without peanut paste or sardines. A bit scary really.

I used to have a horse who could filter worming powder from pollard powder. Ended up getting his wormers by injection - easier for everyone except the vet.

Thank you I am checking out Sentinel.

I've found that the only food I can rely on for giving tablets to my Danny is Kraft Cream Cheese Spread - not the Lite one though as that doesn't have any flavour.

On the occasions when Danny does turn his nose up at this, I just smear it on the roof of his mouth and because it is thick by the time he tries to get it out, he has swallowed it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Still more great ideas coming in thank you - today the monthly Panoramis is due so I cut the tablet in half - ground it into a powder then worked it into a little peanut butter - I tried her with a little piece & she ate it then spat a little out - then I made her dinner & put the rest of the peanut butter in the middle of her dinner expecting to find it there when she finished. To my surprise she has eaten it with her dinner & when I put this in the peanut butter the chemical smell was not obvious. So tomorrow is the other half & I might put it in the cream cheese to keep her guessing. I have 2 Panoramis tablets left then I am trying Senteniel.

Edited by 2kellen2