How Old Until Pups Can Eat Chicken Wings?

joey13

I was supervising super close because I was nervous!

I might try necks? Are they supposed to be softer? I'll def get some frames too. Maybe the wings can wait for a few more weeks!

She's still very small.

Go bigger not smaller. I prefer quarters or frames (I start my 3.5 -4 week old pups on meaty quarters/thigh pieces etc). And don't hover! The hovering and the small pieces is making this way worse than it ever should be. Doing that you are just creating bad eating behaviour (and bluntly YOU may actually end up the cause of the issues you fear). Relax a little, go bigger, and give her a chance to figure it out with a lot less stress than she is getting from you at the moment.

Edited by espinay2

I was supervising super close because I was nervous!

I might try necks? Are they supposed to be softer? I'll def get some frames too. Maybe the wings can wait for a few more weeks!

She's still very small.

Give her a large wing and back off to an observation only distance... she's scoffing the darned things because she's worried you might take it away from her...

You can easily get from one side of the yard to the other in time to assist if she does something silly.

I'll guarantee that if you throw her a wing and stay away from her, she'll be just fine... I have over 200 raised pups to back me up on that one, OK?

Do NOT give her necks if she's got a habit of not chewing properly!

T.

joey -

BIG bones!! leave her to it - watch from a distance :)

if you cut up bones, you are asking for trouble .... as yes, they can get stuck/swallowed .

For a small puppy .. big wings , or chicken carcasses/frames . That way there's almost NO chance of gulping/choking..and up to a half hour of fun ! :)

My sisters 2kg 8wk old cavalier can eat a chicken wing and turkey neck. They are pretty much bigger than him haha he is ferocious when he eats them too!

So i would say a bully can- dont cut it up. And even better grab a chicken frame :)

So I've just given her 1/4 of a chicken carcass/frame and I think we have success. She has taken it into her kennel and is working on it quite vigorously but I'm hearing lots of crunching

Good!

Thats exactly what you want :D