New "dibs" Dog Food With Fish Oil & Turmeric

I give Sonny NZ green lipped muscle powder daily as well. They advice not to use those commercial Turmeric capsules for some reason. From memory the curcuminoids levels are too high & taken for an extended period of time can be damaging to their liver.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thank you all very much - really appreciate your posts. I'm going to try a spot in town just along from my new office to see if I can pick up the tumeric during the week. Will report back on how we get on. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Pure tumeric doesn't have a lot of the active ingredient though (cumercin - sp)). I buy tumeric extract for myself and the stuff is potent but expensive - about $50 for 60 tablets.

By all accounts it's not good for long term use for humans or dogs. Plus there is this argument too:

If you buy the 95% curcumin, you are buying an extract from turmeric. The body can’t utilise this much at once … in fact the companies know this and count on a small portion of it being absorbed. And then you must consider that curcumin when still in the whole food (turmeric) has other components that work alongside it when digested, to give you a better result.

When your body prepares itself to take food, the brain sends the signal to the stomach to get ready to digest. You consume turmeric with oil, pepper and other food – you get maximum absorption and maximum health benefits.

And the turmeric powder or paste can be tailored to suit your needs – taking little and often keeps it in your system – it’s also very beneficial to feed animals turmeric this way.

If you take a pill with a glass of water, some gets absorbed and the rest is excreted through normal bodily functions – it’s convenient and it does help. Tablets and capsules do have their place but it is smarter (and more money savvy) to source good quality turmeric and take it as powder or paste with your food.http://www.turmericlife.com.au/start-here/turmeric-faq/

Even making your own Golden Paste with 3-5% you'd still split the daily dose in half because absorption is an issue.

I get mine from here - organic, 5%, $29 per 1kg and that will last you a very long time.

Delta Charlie, I buy my Turmeric for my Golden Paste from Country Park Herbs online. 2 kg for around $40. Great quality & excellent service. They are in Bungendore. I buy Banabarn cold press Coconut oil from QLD on E.bay. 3 litres for $53.

This will last me ages. Works out costing next to nothing & very easy to make. My 2 have been on it now about 6 months now & have never looked or moved better. Especially huge difference in Sonny who suffers Arthritis in his hips. He is back to his boncey self again. I've been able to drop RHV I was giving them so its saving me $$ too. Hope I was able to be of help ????

Hey BC, just letting you know that I was in the Rural Traders (was Raymond Terrace but now at Heatherbrae) and they sell their 1kg turmeric for $17. If you buy a few things or they get to know you they are pretty generous with their 10% discounts too.

For anyone that's interested since having Stella on Golden paste for approximately 6 months now & have built up the dose to 1 teaspoon morning & night I have been able to wean her completely off Kalma medication. She was taking up to 1 tablet, 3 times a day on any given bad day. Now I only need give her a quarter of a tablet randomly if she is having a moment. While she will never be a calm dog by any stretch, I'm thrilled with the progress we are making with the help of Turmeric ☺

Edited by BC Crazy

I just paid $15 + postage for a kg of 5% tumeric from Country Park Herbs. Carol was terrific - offered to send 2 kgs for cheaper so the whole deal was more cost effective - until she found out it was for a dog not a horse! Then she said 'no a kg will last for ages and be plenty for a westie'. Great honesty and great service. So I've bought some coconut oil and will hopefully get Mac started on it next week. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone - really appreciated.

I just paid $15 + postage for a kg of 5% tumeric from Country Park Herbs. Carol was terrific - offered to send 2 kgs for cheaper so the whole deal was more cost effective - until she found out it was for a dog not a horse! Then she said 'no a kg will last for ages and be plenty for a westie'. Great honesty and great service. So I've bought some coconut oil and will hopefully get Mac started on it next week. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone - really appreciated.

It will be interesting to see what you think WM. I don't notice much difference in Scottie but I also take it myself and do feel better on it - which is why I give it to him still - I would have probably given up by now if I wasnt feeling it.

Hope it works for Mac & crew.

Thanks SM - yes I think its worth a try - even if it means that Mac's last months are just a little more comfy. Anyway we'll see! Will report back with how we get on. smile.gif

I saw no difference in the others, but within 4 days Henry was much more spritely!

• 1 month later...

I'll need more turmeric shortly and went to the ebay store to check the cost compare with WM's Country Park Herbs. the ebay store had very bad feedback and appears to have gone down the gurgler

This is the store http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=rosa_herbs_spices&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

I reckon I will go back and edit my recommendation in post # 5

Off to check out at Country Park Herbs