Injury To Pastern

I'm pretty sure this is the same thing Tag did to his leg when he was a young boy, maybe 8 or 9 years ago. He'll be 11 next month and the poor boy's done it again. Last week I noticed he had a slight limp but seemed happy and was still running around so I put it out of my mind. Yesterday I took him to the slipping track and he and the other dogs had a ball running up and down. Then I noticed him limping and spotted this. :(

Swollen pastern

20612067439_5c982588ee_c.jpg5F6A1683_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Close up of swollen pastern

20610835640_7b451d105a_c.jpg5F6A1680_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

This is his other leg and how it should normally look

20610814340_5786837170_c.jpg5F6A1684_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Normal foot and pastern, ignore the bent toes, it is the normal shape of his foot

20612075229_f5d07f3ac1_c.jpg5F6A1682_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

I'm icing it although today it wont happen until this evening because I'm out all day. Any other suggestions on treatment? Oh, rest goes without saying. He's not lame on it at a walk and it doesn't seem sore when I touch it, although I'm not poking around at it.

Edited by Kirislin

Yes I expected comments about his nails. They aren't actually very long and the bent looking toes are just the shape of his feet, the whole litter are like that. I'll take some more photos after trimmed nails so you can see his twisty toes, but they aren't my concern, it's his pastern I'm posting photos for comment and advice. I've been icing it and it doesn't seem to have any heat in it anyway, or be sore to the touch. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of tendon injury. He's happy enough, not limping at a walk but if he comes to the park he will have to stay on a lead. No running for a while.