How Calm Do I Have To Keep Puppy Post Spay?

ajj_32

Hi all,

So my five month old puppy was spayed last Thursday and she's is already driving me crazy with trying to keep her calm!! Just how much is she allowed to/not allowed to do? Is playing with a toy ok? I'm not letting her jump, even though she jumped on the couch via the tiny section that wasn't blocked off. Is it a matter of making sure the stitches stay intact or could she be doing internal damage I won't see??

Thanks for all your help:)

A big frozen meaty bone will keep her quiet for a bit longer than a pigs ear but if that's too messy deer antlers are great for inside as they're not stinky and don't leave a mess!

Bully sticks are also long lasting (unless you've got a powerful chewer) but can also be quite rich..

A little late- but running around with a traditional spay can certainly increase the risk of adhesions. We know that these can be painful in humans so I recommend to keep girls at walking speed only for 10 days post surgery. Then slowly let them go back to being feral.

As with all things- since we can't ask the dogs if they are in pain, and hormones released when they are excited mask pain so I believe in erring on the side of caution even if they are bouncing around like a nutter.

I desexed 2 adult Kelpie bitches at the same time. And yup 10 days of quiet wasn't fun but compared to 10years of life ahead of them I just told them to suck it up.

Although this is a common surgery, and so gets treated quite blasé it is still a major abdominal surgery and should be treated as such.

Edited by Jumabaar