Snakes

swazzie

Sorry for morbid post

A very good friend of mines mum lives out in Ipswich

Her two dachshunds caught a brown snake in the yard.

One of the dogs got bitten and died soon afterwards.

The other one is not well , from other issues at the moment so it's especially sad.

Poor dog- hate bloody snakes,

Appartently people are seeing lots of brown snakes out that way already this year - mind your poochies.

We literally stepped on one during a jog last week, turned a bend and it was hanging out on a path. I didn't see if it bit or not before it slithered away so rush to the vet for a test. Thankfully negative, but we were apparently the first of the season in.

Yes, I agree it is the hardest thing to handle, the guilt, the haunting visions, the helplessness,everything. I will never get over my own loss, and live in terror as soon as snake season comes around. We try so hard to keep our Dogs safe, but still it happens.

A friend found 4 baby snakes in town in Armidale a week or so ago. Keep safe everyone, and my condolences to Swazzies friend, and I hope her other one will be okay.

Di

I know this will make me sound horrible but I have a front yard where snakes can live and I am right next to a huge series of parks and water courses where they can also happily live. But I only have one backyard for my dogs and I don't want snakes there. The problem is my dogs think they are protecting us from the snake.

We already had our own expensive vet visits for two dogs as a result of a large unharmed python a couple of years ago. I am also a little afraid of anything but greenies and the huge ones terrify me so I don't want them here for me or my dogs. It is hard though because I do like the idea of providing a natives friendly yard but you can't then choose which natives visit.

Edited by Little Gifts

I don't blame or hate snakes for just being what they are, but I think it's understandable to be scared of them or upset/angry that they killed a pet. I know if it came down to a choice between my dog and a snake, the snake wouldn't win.

I just try and avoid them by keeping grass short and not leaving food etc in the yard.

Have to admit I'm irrationally scared of them .

I didn't grow up here so that is probably where some of my fear comes from, I can't really tell the dangerous /non dangerous apart( aside from knowing what a python is)

In saying that, I appreciate they are a part of the eco system and must live somewhere.

My friend is pretty devastated and the dogs were trying to protect their mum( friends mum)

She lives beside a property that backs into scrub and despite continually asking , they don't keep their grass down.

So she gets many snakes each year.

She's had it now and will move before getting another dog .

Swazzie, it helps to know and be able to recognize which snakes are in your area, and which ones are highly venomous (Elapids) or mildly venemous (Colubrids)

Red Belly Blacks for example are generally placid, non threatening and no one has died from a bite for over 70 years.

Where as a Brown snake is very reactive, very defensive and is highly venemous.

A really good website is this one: has good pics for identification, what areas they inhabit etc etc

I've linked ELAPIDS, but also good to have a look at the Colubrids.

http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com.au/elapids.html

I stood on a red belly when I was a kid and we both ran off in fright! Well he slithered more than ran. He was sunbaking on a rock at our creek and we were down there playing. I've had numerous snake encounters over the years, including with death adders, which is probably why they scare me.

Locally to me, Tiger Snakes (black Snakes) strike first ask questions later and will stand up and strike before removing themselves. The dugites (brown snakes) will generally just escape as fast as possible and only arc up if they are cornered attacked. Give me a brown over a black any day. The Tigers flatten their heads at you and raise up to strike when you are metres away.