Dog Likes To Dig...

Willem

our garden isn't so big and the dogs likes digging (from time to time), hence the lawn needs a lot of TLC and fresh seeds to keep looking like a lawn. The problem I had was when repairing the patches using new grass seeds I had to wait nearly 2 weeks before I could mow it again as otherwise I would have 'vacuumed' the fresh seeds...

Now I saw that ALDI had this manual old fashion lawn mowers (AU$ 59) and I thought I give it ago. I was concerned about having to push it, but actually it is harder to push our old petrol lawn mower (alone starting it is a PIA) than this manual one - it works actually like a dream. It doesn't vacuum the fresh seeds, it is easy to push, the clippings are a clean cut and perfect for the guinea pigs, it's light weight and follows perfectly each slope - I like it :thumbsup: !

na, she digs because she want's to hide her bone, or just play with the grass (she likes to throw a hassock in the air just to chase it :laugh:) , chasing some worms, beetles ...IMO it is pretty normal for a dog to dig. She is indeed very energetic and playful, but even if we would walk her 3 times a day she would have some energy left for some fancy games :D ...

na, she digs because she want's to hide her bone, or just play with the grass (she likes to throw a hassock in the air just to chase it :laugh:) , chasing some worms, beetles ...IMO it is pretty normal for a dog to dig. She is indeed very energetic and playful, but even if we would walk her 3 times a day she would have some energy left for some fancy games :D ...

Kokoda is like this, he loves to dig. Occasionally in the yard, occasionally whilst out walking.

He gets PLENTY of exercise, and mental stimulation too. He just loves to dig :laugh:

Tara loved to run around then stop suddenly and start digging like mad and hence had few holes in lawn

took a little while to stop her but we put Hot Prapika powder in the hole and it stopped her ,

Sam had one huge hole under a tree near bedroom window that wasnt a risk of anyone hurting themselves ,and one in the shade house ,so we let him keep them as it was a cool spot for him and he didnt seem to dig anywhere else

Dogs are digging from boredom and to much energy. New lawnmower won't fix problems.

Big long walks in the morning and arvo will help with digging. :)

Nope not all dogs dig from boredom, one of my greyhounds digs holes because she enjoys it.

Just today we went for a good walk along the foreshore, walked back along the beach where she had a dip in the ocean yet as soon as we got home she was straight out in the yard to do a bit more excavation on her current project :)

Friend's vet once told her "healthy dogs dig".

You could always try giving her a sandpit to dig in. If it confines the digging to one place that's a good thing.

Mind you, mine love to dig for scarab grubs in the lawn.

Dodger had a coal seam gas exploration license on my last yard.. I'm sure of it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest RosieFT

Mine digs because she can smell where we are keeping the hose - in the wooden bike shed - and she is determined to get to it. *sigh* Took us awhile to work out why she was digging around the shed... can't leave the hose out as she shakes it to get any droplets to come out and destroys it.

She loves water...

Friend's vet once told her "healthy dogs dig".

You could always try giving her a sandpit to dig in. If it confines the digging to one place that's a good thing.

Mind you, mine love to dig for scarab grubs in the lawn.

Dodger had a coal seam gas exploration license on my last yard.. I'm sure of it.

Ha, ha...I hope our dog will find some gold one day :D ...

Dogs are digging from boredom and to much energy. New lawnmower won't fix problems.

Big long walks in the morning and arvo will help with digging. :)

Nope not all dogs dig from boredom, one of my greyhounds digs holes because she enjoys it.

Just today we went for a good walk along the foreshore, walked back along the beach where she had a dip in the ocean yet as soon as we got home she was straight out in the yard to do a bit more excavation on her current project :)

This.

I currently have two professional excavators- one who just seems to love the job and the other who isn't overly keen on digging but will spend hours carefully constructing herself subterranean hidey spots, often furnished with stolen towels (because why sleep on any of the seven beds she currently has access to? :mad ).

Our lawn looks terrible, we fill in the steep holes so that no one breaks an ankle in them but otherwise.. :shrug: Digging is normal, it might be an unwanted behaviour but it's not a reliable indicator of poor mental well-being by itself and shouldn't be treated as such.

Ernie gets an hour and a half walk/run every morning. He then gets ½ hour of ball games when the girls get home.

He digs. My god how he digs. My backyard looks like the last days of the Battle of the Somne.

Katie my Kelpie was a digger too - until she hit about 5. I tried all the tricks - putting her poo in her digging spot, a sandbox, and even upside down mousetraps - nothing worked.

I don't care anymore. While I'm sure my lemon arsed retired neighbours don't like the look of my backyard - tough. Ernie will either outgrow it or he won't. It's one of his few faults and there's no real way to stop him. In my opinion, he digs because a) he likes it and b) he really likes it. No amount of enrichment toys or trying to tire him out works so it's just like learning to get along with a flat mate who has an annoying habit. Digging, to Ernie, is like drinking out of the milk carton in his boxer shorts - unpleasant and unsightly but liveable.

Edited by Stressmagnet

What is this 'lawn' you speak of? :laugh:

I agree that some dogs just like to dig. One of our bitches does this weird yelping squeal while she is digging. I have to be careful how I move my feet when I am out in the backyard because otherwise she pounces on them thinking I am about to start digging a hole.

Our other bitch just likes it when another dog digs so that she can stand behind them catching the dirt in her mouth.

I believe the positive effects of digging 'for fun' (natural behavior and mental stimulation, she likes the garden / to be in the garden) outshine by far the downsides - yes, it is some work to fill up the holes and throw some fresh seed on it, but she doesn't overdue it so I leave her this fun. I believe it is one of the things you have to put up with when you like dogs. ...holes in the lawn, pet hair on the carpet requiring more vacuuming, picking up poo etc....you can't have fun with dogs without some associated duties...

I brought my young kelpie the sandpit. Great idea until she went to town in it and half the sand goes out. But it was great to hide things in for her to find.

Eventually she stopped using it and its gone now.

I was worried the lonely pitbull next door might want to dig to us. But no, one day only got home to kelpie digging to him to lick noses. Covered that area and lucky she didnt try again. Cant beleive she was the one digging under fence. Little monster.

What is this 'lawn' you speak of? :laugh:

I agree that some dogs just like to dig. One of our bitches does this weird yelping squeal while she is digging. I have to be careful how I move my feet when I am out in the backyard because otherwise she pounces on them thinking I am about to start digging a hole.

Our other bitch just likes it when another dog digs so that she can stand behind them catching the dirt in her mouth.

I thought my idiot dog was the only dog that would do this! laugh.gif