Variety In Dry Food

Jemmy

Guest donatella

Our family dogs were raised on goodos, pedigree and scraps and all lived over 15 without any bouts of gastro. Guts of steel

I don't know, that's what I've read?

Most of them have such similar ingredients i dont understand how they could be detrimental when switching between

Our family dogs were raised on goodos, pedigree and scraps and all lived over 15 without any bouts of gastro. Guts of steel

kind of related, recently i found out that at one of the large dog agility comps people often take their own water as the dogs often get sick from it.

My dogs didnt bat an eyelid for the week they were drinking it. And i put this down to variety in their diets.

I never even thought that tap water could affect my dogs :laugh:

terrible owner i am!

Most of them have such similar ingredients i dont understand how they could be detrimental when switching between

kind of related, recently i found out that at one of the large dog agility comps people often take their own water as the dogs often get sick from it.

My dogs didnt bat an eyelid for the week they were drinking it. And i put this down to variety in their diets.

I never even thought that tap water could affect my dogs :laugh:

terrible owner i am!

I put it down to deluded owners. My dogs drink from puddles and dams. A change of water doesn't phase them in the slightest. I don't put that down to variety in their diet.

I think travel and arousal at trials is a far more likely cause for upset stomachs.

Why stick to one brand of kibble?

Why is changing kibble bad for a dog? It's not.

My dog has a bit of a sensitive tummy, if I find a brand that's working for him I stick to it.

Even switching between flavours of the same brand doesn't always work.

My dogs are on rain water and ground water. Treated town water stinks and they either won't drink or don't drink enough so I do always take our water. If I have to I will buy them bottled water. Can't blame them I won't drink the putrid stuff either!

It's a common myth. Historically pet food manufacturers stated their products were designed to be fed exclusively. The reason being they want your repeat business.

We know porridge is good for us but eating it exclusively isn't good for us, it's not a balanced diet. Personally I believe variety (of decent quality foods) is the best way to ensure a balanced diet.

Feeding a single kibble over a long period can make your dog intolerant of specific ingredients, and would eventuate to making them ill (vomiting or diarrhea) if they're switched to a different food. Some ingredients can become toxic over time, which is far more likely to happen if a poor quality kibble is fed exclusively.

I rotate foods all the time and have never had issues doing so.

Ah, thank you :) I'll keep this in mind for the future.

The dogs have quite sensitive stomachs so I don't think I'll change the foods too often, but when the 20kg bag runs out we'll check some new brands perhaps.

We used to only purchase from our local Petbarn store on loyalty and price.

Information from DOL has enlightened us on premium food knowledge and price. :)

Thank you to pet circle.com to enable us to purchase the premium foods for the best price. :)

I am forever changing dry foods and flavours, no tummy upsets here thankfully and no fussy eaters.

Yeah it's funny, despite all the warnings to change foods over slowly, we've never had an issue with changing dry foods over frequently :shrug:

me either. It all gets chucked in the big barrel which holds around 30 kilo's, maybe more. I buy on special and fill the barrel, keep buying on special and when the barrel is nearly empty tip out the dusty, broken bits for the birds and refill.

Ernie gets the Grain free Salmon kibble and has done since around 8 months. He gets odd 'flavour treats' such as sardines, an egg or tuna or the (very occasional!) drippings from the roast pan. He gets two chicken necks on top.

So his diet has been same same since pupoydom.

Since he scoffs everything - I'm assuming he's happy. Mind you, he's a Labrador and a frat boy so I'm pretty sure he'd be happy as long as it's FOOD FOOD FOOD!

Ernie gets the Grain free Salmon kibble and has done since around 8 months. He gets odd 'flavour treats' such as sardines, an egg or tuna or the (very occasional!) drippings from the roast pan. He gets two chicken necks on top.

So his diet has been same same since pupoydom.

Since he scoffs everything - I'm assuming he's happy. Mind you, he's a Labrador and a frat boy so I'm pretty sure he'd be happy as long as it's FOOD FOOD FOOD!

What brand are you using Stressy? Grain free salmon sounds delicious :rofl: