Not Sure If I Should Be Happy Or Peeved...

Scottsmum

My naughty little dog managed to catch himself a bird this afternoon (a tradie saw it). It was too late for the bird by the time I got to him... But... I am super proud of him - as he was on his way to bury it I was able to call him off. He dropped it and came to me when I asked him to.

Edited by Scottsmum

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have an issue with my terrier killing things (lizards in her case), but for you to be able to call him off his prey, that is very impressive - well done Scotty! I wish I knew how to train terriers NOT to kill....

I think I get you.

I'm not pleased at Thistle's lightning quick bird killing capabilities - but I am proud when I recall her off the bird (dead or alive). I'd prefer to prevent it happening but sometimes I'm not there or I don't see the bird before Thistle does...

(She'd be such a good birder or pigging dog though. Not going down that path, but the potential is there)

A problem I have is if I catch her with something and call her off, its usually maimed and not dead, whereas if I'm not there its killed outright. Terrible topic, I hate anything having to die ????

So you don't mind cats killing wildlife then either?

My view on cats being allowed to roam is very different. By law here cats have to be on its own property 24/7 and in before 6pm not allowed out til after 6am. I'd like to see harsher penalties for roaming cats. What I'd love to see is cat numbers bought down *dons flame suit* and not see them out roaming (or dead on the road).

Guest donatella

Genuine question, what makes a terrier to kill and ones who don't? I grew up with 2 Tenterfield terriers (the boy still alive at 15) and both useless hunters, never had interest in killing anything, mice or birds. They were mother and son

Well the kill was over, he was probably like 'sweet no worries the fun is done anyway'

I'm glad he didn't bring it back for a game of tug :eek: blurgh

Genuine question, what makes a terrier to kill and ones who don't? I grew up with 2 Tenterfield terriers (the boy still alive at 15) and both useless hunters, never had interest in killing anything, mice or birds. They were mother and son

I don't know. I'd love to know too. All my terriers have been true muts - foxie mixes and I don't know why he did this today. I think it might have been injured or old - he's never shown any interest before. My old girl couldnt have caught a cold she was hopeless...

Anyhow.... I was super cross - but made a huge fuss of him dropping it on his way to bury it, coming to me and willingly going to his crate while I cleaned it up.

Their level of prey drive. If they are "true terriers" they will have it in spades and owners need to be aware of it.

Same as sighthounds. Its what they were bred to do.

Most dogs will kill a small animal given the chance. We haven't bred the hunter out of them.

My poodles have presented me with mice and on one occasion a rat :eek:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Bundy is a vizsla. He is not very fast and is a crap hunter. He has killed his first bird this year at age 6, and I was horrified, but he was just following instinct!It is what it is, I don't want it to be a regular thing so I just won't encourage it.

Edited by Bundyburger

Bundy is a vizsla. He is not very fast and is a crap hunter. He has killed his first bird this year at age 6, and I was horrified, but he was just following instinct!It is what it is, I don't want it to be a regular thing so I just won't encourage it.

No. I certainly agree with that. :(

So you don't mind cats killing wildlife then either?

Cats shouldn't be allowed to roam (and kill) Double standards :(

I cannot understand the double standard when people go mad about cats killing birds but don't mind one bit when they kill rats, mice & snakes.

Aren't they wildlife & living creatures too ?

I agree cats should not be allowed to roam & mine don't but its not for the birds sake as I believe birds reproduce faster & more than cats & most well fed domestic cats don't kill & eat a huge amount.

Having said that my cats have outside enclosed runs & I took 2 dead bird out of one bed yesterday. Silly birds go in the runs & in one the sparrows nest in the top which I constantly block & they always return. They sit on a big tree branch in there & eat the cat biscuits out of the cats bowl. Suicidal tendencies :eek:

My toy poodles also catch an odd bird but not frequently & I have to pen around one low tree they nest in every year, despite having plenty of high options.

Back on track the OP said she was proud of the dogs recall not of it killing the bird.