Barking/jumping Up/nipping During Agility Runs

sheena

180 cue (digga digga) AND a tight 360 turn cue (check check)

Erm

just a maths / geometry query on this one...

for me I send dog to jump with check check and she comes straight back to me ie 180 degrees turn ie from running north, she jumps running north and comes back around the wing/post now running south after a 180 turn in the opposite direction...

A 360 turn for me would be like a

nana - running north, go round the jump wing, turn south and take the back of the jump wrap all the way round the jump wing/post and turn to continue running north

Diga diga - is the old swing - turn (away from me?) usually 45' (angle turn) to 90' (square turn) really handy out of tunnels and onto dog walks - tho that can be a 180 turn too. Or off dog walks and into tunnels.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digga Digga is 2 jumps on the same line so yes definitely 180. Check check is going back in the direction you came from so full circle - theoretically 360. A very tight na na would probably be 360 plus 180 because you do a full circle around the upright and continue on in the same direction.

The biggest issue with turn cues is dilution. So if you use a check check where you should use a digga digga you end up diluting your check check. Similarly if you use a digga digga where you should use a tiss tiss you will dilute your nice tight 180.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Digga Digga is 2 jumps on the same line so yes definitely 180. Check check is going back in the direction you came from so full circle - theoretically 360. A very tight na na would probably be 360 plus 180 because you do a full circle around the upright and continue on in the same direction.

The biggest issue with turn cues is dilution. So if you use a check check where you should use a digga digga you end up diluting your check check. Similarly if you use a digga digga where you should use a tiss tiss you will dilute your nice tight 180.

That's a great reminder, TSD. I haven't got digadiga in place yet, but definitely something to watch out for.

And where's the 'green with envy' emoticon. Could almost wish I lived on the mainland .... no, not really.

Digga Digga is 2 jumps on the same line so yes definitely 180. Check check is going back in the direction you came from so full circle

Erm Not mathematically or navigationally... eg north is 0' or 360'... to do a three sixty - you have to have turned a complete circle (like a spin) and continue in the same direction eg running north - spin through 360 - continue north...

180 is a U turn. ie face forward/north then turn 180' and you're facing the opposite direction ie south.

A line is a line - no turn required - not a 180' angle in the corner of an infinite triangle (cos the other corners will never meet up).

wow!!!...that's fantastic teamwork....how many years of training (approx.) has this dog?...

I think Nakita is 8 now? She's always been quick but since Katie switched to H360 a few years ago they've excelled as a team. That's my instructor by the way. I'm very lucky!

...that gives me some time to catch up :) (our dog will be 1 year in December)...however, I shouldn't get too ambitious considering time and my work commitments, first goal is anyway fun for the dog and me. I believe one great thing regards agility is that you can see the fun a dog has during a run and training straight away...

Digga Digga is 2 jumps on the same line so yes definitely 180. Check check is going back in the direction you came from so full circle

Erm Not mathematically or navigationally... eg north is 0' or 360'... to do a three sixty - you have to have turned a complete circle (like a spin) and continue in the same direction eg running north - spin through 360 - continue north...

180 is a U turn. ie face forward/north then turn 180' and you're facing the opposite direction ie south.

A line is a line - no turn required - not a 180' angle in the corner of an infinite triangle (cos the other corners will never meet up).

My DOG :eek: I am flat out working out my lefts & rights. :laugh: I find the easiest cue words to remember are the ones that come naturally to me. I could never get my head around all that...maybe if I was a bit younger. I can only remember two things at once & one of those things is remembering to breath :laugh: However, I am sure I will survive running Cricket...may just have to invest in a suit of armour. :(

Yeah my left and right tend to come out as

left left yes

or left left other left...

Same as on the hockey field...

and I could never figure out why SG had "side" and "close" for her heelwork...

I ended up with "finish" and "other side" which I think might be where "side" came from.

I actually have "back" & "close" for left & right with my girl, as I got it from Greg D. It's just plain left & right with Cricket, so I have to remember who I am running. It doesn't get used often but can come in handy on equipment as long as I don't call too early. I still can't understand why GD uses back & close for his left & right. I also have "go Back" & "back up". For heeling I use "heel" (lhs) & "side" (rhs)

I could never figure out which way "spin" goes or "twist" and suspect that Lucy and Ethel would sometimes forget or have opposite directions...

So for me - spin means the way my arm is going and twist means the way my arm is going - or - the other way...

There was some stuff about making sure the dog is always turning towards the handler but when you go the whole 360' through a complete circle... at some point - the dog is turning away from the handler even if the dog started by turning towards the handler.

And it all was relative. And really hard when it was being demonstrated by an instructor facing you, so it all looked back to front ie if you got your dog to stand in front of you and turn the same way as demonstrated it would be the opposite to intended - same as when you're doing aerobics when the instructor has to do it all mirror - she says step left and she steps right but it's left from her class's point of view if they're facing each other.

And if the wall is too close to allow a step left - and you step right - you will confuse the hell out of the instructor. :)

But we are talking about the line of the (face of the) obstacles. And that's SG's interpretation. I think you are overthinking it Mrs RB!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Regarding the use of verbals...I practice saying them when I'm in the car at traffic lights. It's just like practicing articulation on a wind instrument. So much easier come performance day.

That's not a bad idea :laugh: This handling system uses a lot more verbals than my last one did and it is taking a while to get used to! :laugh:

Regarding the use of verbals...I practice saying them when I'm in the car at traffic lights. It's just like practicing articulation on a wind instrument. So much easier come performance day.

That's not a bad idea :laugh: This handling system uses a lot more verbals than my last one did and it is taking a while to get used to! :laugh:

:thumbsup: And it's not an age thing either - heaps of younger folk tell me they have the same problem and I tell them the same thing. It's a bloody sight easier than running :rofl:

:thumbsup: And it's not an age thing either - heaps of younger folk tell me they have the same problem and I tell them the same thing. It's a bloody sight easier than running :rofl:

I'm not sure that it's easier than running :laugh: but I think it should help give clearer information about where we are going and prevent a lot of confusion and incorrect obstacle choices/directions especially with a dog that may lock onto obstacles quickly

H360 sounds like what I need! Whats the best way to start? All I can see on SG's website says 'join the notification list' for next available course :(

Do she have a book/DVD or something?

Where are you CBD? Might be someone teaching it? Otherwise definitely register for the online course. Her courses are excellent in my experience - I think she much prefers them to DVDs as she constantly hones her skills and approaches to both dog training and teaching. It's very refreshing!

I think she is opening H360 again soon? There was a survey floating around recently from her, so my guess is she is getting ready to open it again.

Alternatively, Shape Up Agility (Justine Davenport and Jessica Patterson) who are also based in Canada, run online courses as well. It is the same handling system as H360(They train with Susan, and run seminars at her facility), the main difference that I can tell is that there is not quite so much intricate detail, and they use some different verbal cues, but it is essentially the same.

http://www.shapeupagility.com/online-lessons