52/2016

trifecta

Sorry all but I know I seem to have dropped out of this thread after just the one photo. The recommended book has arrived but I have not even opened it because January was a very difficult month and it has continued on into February. I had heart problems and had to have medical tests (still ongoing), my warfarin levels went topsy turvy, then someone ran into the back of me and I was without a car for a few weeks, then my granddaughter had meningitis and was in hospital. ATM it all looks clear so I will try to get back into it, although your photos all look fantastic and I sort of feel I am a kinder kid in with the year twelves. :) Snook that photo of the milky way is amazing.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry all but I know I seem to have dropped out of this thread after just the one photo. The recommended book has arrived but I have not even opened it because January was a very difficult month and it has continued on into February. I had heart problems and had to have medical tests (still ongoing), my warfarin levels went topsy turvy, then someone ran into the back of me and I was without a car for a few weeks, then my granddaughter had meningitis and was in hospital. ATM it all looks clear so I will try to get back into it, although your photos all look fantastic and I sort of feel I am a kinder kid in with the year twelves. :) Snook that photo of the milky way is amazing.

Woah - what a huge start to the year!

And yeh - I get that bold part - but hey - we all start somewhere :) At least they're the nicest bunch of year 12 kids on the planet :)

Magic work everyone - inspiring. Star shot, alpacas, mouse, dog, horse, cats, baby, flower (in no particular order, love them all).

But I can't play just now, I don't have a camera. (End of civilisation)! The Nikon battery chargers are in storage: I can't find them or the lens boxes. Have bodies and some lenses, the charger is the holdup. Now the two Sony mirror-less have both just died of shutter failure, need to get down to Melb to Shutterbox to have them fixed.

I will join those of us who are needing a break to re-group, and will probably post three a week (in a month or three) to catch up.

OH is thinking about a new carry-around camera (which I would snaffle til I get the Nikon sorted). Looking at specs of shortlisted point/shoots and the Pana Lumix FZ300 seems the most useful of the compromise choices. It does have the small sensor, but upgrades it (?) for 4K work somehow. Has a (35 eqiiv) 600 2.8 optical zoom for birds, and an easy way of isolating a reasonable quality still from a movie clip. The point/shoots with the larger sensors don't have some of the good feature this Lumix has. Including dust-proofing, dust being the cause of the shutter fail in our Sony x2. If anyone has any experience of the FZ300 I'd love any feedback.

Edited by PossumCorner

Ooooh boy I'm a bit behind!

4/52

Not the best shot, wish I'd gotten her nose more in focus but it makes me smile!

tumblr_o0bocmNggC1uao4k2o3_1280.jpg

5/52

I've recently started running a vegan insta and have been enjoying having something other than the dog to take photos of so here's a glorified insta breakfast photo laugh.gif

DSC_0062_edited_zpsoe05cohx.jpg

6/52

My beautiful baby :)

tumblr_o2dup9l64h1uao4k2o1_1280.jpg

Edited by dididog

My poor old girl who likes a quiet life has been through the wringer this week :( Errant fireworks on the night of Australia Day followed by storms on Friday, culminating in the biggest storm of all time last night going on for more than four hours. :eek:

4/52

24699357076_ec2d0845ac_b.jpg

Resting on Flickr

Wow she's gorgeous. I can see Ivy in her face :) What age is she now?

Edited by Ivy~Badger

Marles was 11 last November, I~B.

Snook, spectacular shot, but do take care roaming around the countryside at night - guess you had Justice with you :D

Lovely pics from everyone..... and do not be disheartened if you fall behind or think your pics aren't good enough, we all want to have fun here and take time out from the daily grind for ourselves.

I went to the Braidwood races yesterday. Country meetings like these are becoming a thing of the past, but they mean so much to the townsfolk who all turn out to support the day.

6/52

24642468209_d70cf13107_b.jpg

Braidwood Races 2016by Groenendevil on Flickr

7/52

Hubby picked it. Not my 100% first choice but I've stock piled a few which may make an appearance. It's one of our new walking spots - lots of scrub/bush which backs onto what I can only assume is part of the local university. Lots and lots of twists and turns and pops of vivid colour. It's a little bit like the secret garden. I really struggled to make my camera capture what I was seeing. While holding the dog leash, and keeping an eye on the dog, and later, also incorporating holding a poop bag. :laugh:

All that aside, this is just before the park / walk. It's the main road into town from our part of the world.

24709679160_b1b2a1a451_c.jpg_Keep IMG_3404 - Copy by Superspanger, on Flickr

I have been reading an article titled "The Top 5 Photography Tips For Absolute Beginners" and it discusses the rule of thirds. I am trying to get my head around this. It also says that all cameras have a grid option, but I can't find one on my camera. Maybe it is just too old and too cheap. When I look at your photos I am looking for the rule of thirds, and sometimes I am not sure. Trifecta does your photo at the races have the top horizontal grid line at the tops of their heads and Scottsmum is yours going down the first vertical to the lower horizontal?

I hope you don't mind my basic questions. I promise I will try hard to find answers elsewhere before I ask here.

Here are my grid lines - I did try to make sure that there was one post in each third when I cropped it on my computer later on.

post-51207-0-20431700-1455491926_thumb.jpg

Far from knowing much about it all - but what Snook says sounds like good advice.

Also think a lot of composition is just personal taste - I did a free online course where all these people were really into cropping - everything had "too much dead space" for their liking - it was basically the only thing they'd recommend - "crop it tighter" but I did take their advice on my first photo (bumble bee) and did end up liking the end product almost as much as the first.

I've got three versions here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsktxMZ3i

I always save a copy of my files and just muck around - cutting and cropping, bumping filters up and down - comparing the original to the hot mess you've made with your editing options :)