Why Does Chicken And Rice Help An Upset Tummy?

Pretty Miss Emma

This might be a silly question, but why does chicken and rice bind up an upset tummy? I know it is bland but is it the starch in the rice or something that helps pull everything back together?!

I tend to use mashed pumpkin instead of rice - worked a treat when some certain baby puppies discovered possum poo!

It is not given as a binder but as an easy to digest food that will allow the digestive system to "rest", therefore the body can concentrate on healing itself, which 9 times out of ten just means readjusting the balance of gut flora. When the balance is adjusted, digestion returns to normal. In the other 10% of cases it is less likely to harm than fasting.

Plus if it is a bacterial "swarm" (think of those TV commercials where the good bacteria fight the bad bacteria in your gut) the lack of sugars etc. can help by reducing the favorite "foods" available to the overpopulating bad guys....

I usually make my dog fast (I'm so mean), for 12 to 24 hours before starting three small meals a day of boiled chicken and rice.

There are no weird additives in it, and it's easy to keep down and fast absorbed. I usually boil the chicken and the rice together in the same pot. I think mashed pumpkin would be a good option. It's got gut helping enzymes or something in it.

fats and oils aggravate the problem.

chicken bone (frames) broth has been known as an excellent aid for digestion in humans, my grandma used it when us kids were feeling seedy or had a cold.

here is some info anyhow...the info on the right hand side of the Marcola page is the shortened version http://articles.merc...h-benefits.aspx

eta I meant to include this link as well, read the section titled 'Nutritional facts and benefits of Bone Broth'

http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/05/bone-broth-nutritional-facts-benefits/

Edited by Boronia

chicken bone (frames) broth has been known as an excellent aid for digestion in humans, my grandma used it when us kids were feeling seedy or had a cold.

here is some info anyhow...the info on the right hand side of the Marcola page is the shortened version http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx

I'm hoping it works in large quantities! My dog has been on chicken, rice and pumpkin the last 2 days and stole a takeaway container of bone broth off the bench. It was still frozen and he managed to eat 2/3 of it...he found it, stole it, opened it and ate it in the 15 mins I ducked out (and he's not a counter surfer as a rule).

here is some info anyhow...the info on the right hand side of the Marcola page is the shortened version http://articles.merc...h-benefits.aspx

I'm hoping it works in large quantities! My dog has been on chicken, rice and pumpkin the last 2 days and stole a takeaway container of bone broth off the bench. It was still frozen and he managed to eat 2/3 of it...he found it, stole it, opened it and ate it in the 15 mins I ducked out (and he's not a counter surfer as a rule).

yep, he knows what is good for him! LOL

here is some info anyhow...the info on the right hand side of the Marcola page is the shortened version http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx

he must be feeling better, and HUNGRY...

Even the chinese use rice as an 'invalid' food. They make something called jook (spelling is not right but that's how it sounds) which is rice that has had extra water and cooking time added so that it is like porridge. Usually an easy to chew meat is added to it and maybe some soy sauce. I love the taste of it and when I used to order it in Hong Kong as a light/quick meal I would always get asked if I was sick!