Fyi Pictures On Dol And Google

Rainy

Just a heads up for people that didn't know (i didn't )

Google search does pick up photos off Dol.

I had a little surprise yesterday when a friend pointed out that someone was using a photo i posted here for Australia Day promotion.

I wasn't concerned about mine but i know some people dont want their photos shared without being told.

Cheers

Did not know that either.

But I do know that scammers go into peoples web sites and take photos from there to make them look genuine breeders, hence I took my web site down after being used in a scam a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't even know how to find a picture of Scottie on google - LOL.

But it is a good reminder to be wary of what you put online. I'm as cautious as possible about adding apps which will auto upload, back up or offer to do other things with my phone. I'm always worried that "that photo I took of that thing" (nothing x rated - but I do usually take a photo of the tags of my bras when their new so I remember the style and size - they fade over time and it's helpful to have it handy when you're shopping and you come across a sale ;) )

Anyhow - always worried something embarrassing will end up on facebook accidentally.

Some of my photos are on Google...I found this out one day, simply by searching chocolate border collies. Some of the photos are from early DOL posts & others from my website. Lots of other dogs I recognise on there too. It doesn't really worry me that much. Much the same as Facebook...if you don't want the world to see it, then don't post it on the net.

Is it okay to use a photo from the net that you liked as wallpaper on your computer? Do you need to get permission?

Theoretically you should get permission tho it's a fine line between downloading the picture as part of viewing it on the web (you can't look at it unless your browser gets it for you), and then saving it for use as your desk top.

I think most photographers would be fine with that use.

What they don't want to see is their photograph used as a giant poster to advertise something they don't approve of, and with no credit or compensation.

I think off topic doesn't get indexed by google. It is possible to stop google from indexing certain pages / folders you have on the internet by including a file called

robots.txt

containing:

user-agent: *

disallow: /

You can also put a meta tag in the page.

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/control-crawl-index/docs/robots_txt

But it means when people put stuff into google - they won't find your page.

Some web crawlers (anyone can make one) will/can ignore robots.txt