Female Gsp Or Vizsla

WOWO1973

Hello everyone!

Tossing up between these two wonderful breeds and are extensively researching the better breed to serve our needs.

A little more about myself and my fiance..

Both professionals living in the suburb of Armadale, Melbourne.

We have always had our eyes set on a Vizsla or a GSP but apartment living together has hampered that. We are currently living living in an apartment block that is quite spacious and has a communal backyard along with our own private front (grassed) area, big enough for a beautiful dog to run around in.

As mentioned, we are both very active people and exercise everyday as fitness is apart of our lives.

We both have owned dogs in the past but not for a few years now.

We own also own a 8 y/o Russian Blue female cat so the breed would have to adapt to a cat being around also and vice versa.

We both have our hearts set on a beautiful girl to complement our beautiful natures.

Hoping for some positive advice on the appropriate breed to compliment our loving and caring natures.

Kind regards

WOWO

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go a Vizsla. My experience with both breeds has been that the Vizslas are a little bit more sensible lol. Both breeds will need a lot of mental stimulation as well as exercise. Also remember that you can't run with large breeds until they are fully grown.

As best I can tell they're similar in terms of energy and enthusiasm and prone to getting weird lumps in their old age.

Got one friend with a Vizsla with major health problems including cancer and it's very young, had the first lump off when it was about 6 months old.

But that's the only one and I see lots. I see more Vizsla off lead than GSP suggesting that they're easier to train (recall) than GSP. But there is a wire haired GSP competing obedience and agility here and no Vizsla. So it might also be something to do with who chooses what.

Vizsla tend to be cling rats. They like to lean on people and they're everybody's friend. I don't know if they get separation anxiety more than GSP - both varieties like to be with people. A lot.

But if they get a good mental work out in the morning before you go out and be professional all day - that should help them be calm and sleep all day.

Wow what a hard choice.

My daughter and husband have had a Viszla in their home for 12 years and would not consider any other breed, their first girl Zhani was put to sleep last year, she had cancer and it broke their heart when she went as she was their third "child" she could almost speak to you, loved the outdoors and going on rabbit hunting, swimming in the Murray on their yearly holiday, they said that they would not get another, but within about four months they brought home their second girl Indi, this girl is so attached to them and already obeys commands, that started when she was about three months old, she went out to obedience for the first time a couple of weekends ago and graduated to grade one on her first outing, have not heard how she went last week.

Their eldest son and his partner have a male GSP, Roy is a beautiful boy, but I just think the Vislza has it over the GSP.

a

post-6593-0-93139800-1458619366_thumb.jpg

post-6593-0-55978300-1458619494_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your kind input!

Yes, it appears both are similar in size and temperament etc.

I have found the GSP to be more available and easier to find than the Vizsla along with a kinder price point.

Decisions decisions...

I have both breeds, 3 Vizslas and 1 GSP currently. My GSP is the only one I have had of the breed and I love him dearly, but he is harder work than the Vizslas. As you would know from research, both are high energy, intelligent, people focused breeds. They can both be highly strung, but my GSP more so. I find Vizslas softer and more 'needy' of their people. They need to be with you, on you, into everything. GSPs aren't far behind though :) Both breeds can be a lot of hard work, especially in the first couple of years!!

I suggest contacting the breed clubs in your state and making an effort to get to a club event and be surrounded by both breeds and see if one wins you over (or turns you off :) ).

Vizslas are becoming increasingly popular and we're seeing more and more 'breeders' cashing in on their popularity and breeding without thought, including unregistered litters :mad:mad Please do your research for a good breeder if you do decide on a V and be prepared for a wait for the right pup. GSPs are much more readily available, although of course you still need to do your research for the right breeder.

Edited by FHRP

would they work in an apartment?

With a lot of time and hard work, they could. Would I generally recommend it? No. I didn't read the original close enough, thought they'd moved out of an apartment :o

Two neighbors in same street have one of each (male & female) both beautiful and rather placid.

Grandparents for many years had a male GSP and he was terrific especially around kids.

Just to clarify, we are still in an apartment(ground floor).Big enough rear and front yard to run around in.Plus a park a few doors down.

We are both very active people so exercising the dog will not be an issue.

Forgive me if I assume you've not already done this but have you checked these links out? Been along to shows and other places?

Vizsla

https://www.facebook.com/HVCVic/

http://www.hvcv.com/

GSP

http://www.gspclubvic.net/home

Gun dog club

Lots of events coming up for the Gun Dog Club: https://victoriangundogclub.wildapricot.org/events

Bear in mind you're after a very specific kind of dog - a working dog. Most dogs, including these two breeds, need to "work" which is more than just going for a long run.

I think liking the breed & living with both is a big next step ,being an apartment dog is going to require alot of dedication in puppy hood to teach it manners .i don't consider either breed easy to live with & a GSP is either a joy or a needy nightmare ,The Viszlas we have boarded are certainly quieter in the voice but more active .

As long as your prepared to do the hard work on a a very active gundog breed it may work but be prepared for many bumpy roads & also be prepared that many breeders may not be willing to sell you a pup given the living arrangements & this would be due to knowing the needs of the breed .remember its not about convincing the breeder your a great home is about you being very honest that you wont give up if it doesn't click & not work out .

As for the cat who knows ,does the cat have access outside or purely an indoor cat

Our daughter's girl Indi lives indoors, yes it is a home but she does have access to outside whenever she wants it, the training has been done by her husband and started from the day she came home at eight weeks of age, you would have to be prepared to do the hard yards in training her and take her to obedience.

When she comes here and is inside is no more trouble than my two little Frenchies.

Will there be someone home for most of the day? if not then I would not even contemplate any dog as they do need company, completely different to an independent cat.

Puss is purely an indoor cat...

So the dog will be reliant on you to give it outside access, when you work will it be outside or inside ,given you say front yard would the dog be over stimulated by what it can see ??

What you need to do is make a list of all the pitfalls .

We tell all our puppy owners to think about the hard stuff,the what can go wrong there is no point sugar coating to owners all will be easy when some breeds can require alot more dedication in the early years .

I have been a gundog owner for nearly 20 yrs & had the complete lazy to highly active wouldn't sit home in a small yard .

Plenty of great owners work & make great pet owners being at home doesn't mean a better owner or dog infact it can mean worse it comes down to the right breed for the right owner & giving it the time it needs .

Mjosa nearly all the Frenchie breeders i now who are wonderful people work ,we board plenty of Frenchies owned by working owners ,fab dogs well adjusted with good manners being at home doesn't equate to better owner ,infact i see far to many owners who think because there home thats all the dog needs & they live a stale boring life doing nothing & that includes no companionship because just being there doesn't equate to quality time

No, there will not be anyone home for most of the day.

My neighbors both work and their Vizsla are fine if left alone as long as they are entertained before and after work and receive plenty of exercise.

I have currently resigned from my professional career and are taking some time off to pursue another career so i do have the time to put into the development of a new pup.

:)

There are people who know these breeds far better than I do but "placid" is not a word I'd apply to a youngster of either breed.

Unless you own your apartment, I'd be giving serious thought to how much damage an only young dog of either breed will do to a smallish yard during the day. My guess would be "a lot".

Judging dogs by mature versions that have company can be fraught with danger. You have to get to mature!

Edited by Haredown Whippets