Two Female Dogs ?

whiskyshaver

Im thinking about getting a female american staffy pupp and currently I have a 5 year old female, german shepard x amstaff.

I've been looking around the internet doing some research and a lot of people are saying not to go with two bitches, personally I think my current dog will get along fine with another addition because she's been raised around cats and other animals and doesn't seem to have a problem with them. she is quite intelligent and very obedient but at the same time she's also independent - as in, she's contempt playing outside, entertaining herself.

I just wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts in this, should I go with a male amstaff pupp or risk it and get the female ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way would I risk it!

And even if your current girl is fine, doesn't mean the new addition will be. I have seen intra-household aggression between females and its terrible consequences. There is no way I would go there when it can be so simply avoided by getting a male.

Guest crazydoglady99

Interesting.

My girl who is a kelpie x pound dog has only ever had issues with staffy bitches. They are just too full on/in your face and don't back down.

From that experience - I would say - don't risk it.

It would probably start out fine, but once that pup gets a bit older 9-18months you might have some big problems.

**might because who really knows**

No way would I risk it!

And even if your current girl is fine, doesn't mean the new addition will be. I have seen intra-household aggression between females and its terrible consequences. There is no way I would go there when it can be so simply avoided by getting a male.

Yes, this. Sometimes everything is fine until the younger bitch approaches maturity. I wouldn't risk it. A male pup is a far less likely to be a problem.

Two of mine were fine for 4 years... then all hell broke loose and they had to be permanently separated.

The older of the two has since passed, but my youngest is not allowed to run with the other two because she's a pushy bitch.

The 10 year old and the 5 year old are currently getting on just fine, but I can see the occasional push from the younger one - luckily the older one doesn't actually see her as a decent threat to the status quo, or we'd have fun juggling 3 dogs that needed separation... errr!

My next dog is going to definitely be male... no more females together in this household after this lot shuffle off - simply not worth the bloody hassle!

T.

The problem is that I've only ever handled female's, and personally I find they make better guards.

Most of the males i've encountered through friends and what not, have a tendency to push the boundaries and become far too distracted around bitches on heat.

Im hoping that my current girl will take on a sort of 'mother' role to the younger pupp ? (she in not desexed and I don't plan on desexing the pupp either).

Also I've heard that favouring the older girl and giving her priority will establish her as dominant and hopefully the younger wont challenger her, provided she knows her place.

Any thoughts on the tactic ?

Edited by whiskyshaver

Why do you need guards?

All the dogs I've owned over the years have been guards, I'm not a fan of letting animals live in the house.

But don't get me wrong, even though I train them as guards they double as family pets and I never allow aggression. I just like them to bark at strangers approaching the house

The problem is that I've only ever handled female's, and personally I find they make better guards.

Most of the males i've encountered through friends and what not, have a tendency to push the boundaries and become far too distracted around bitches on heat.

Im hoping that my current girl will take on a sort of 'mother' role to the younger pupp ? (she in not desexed and I don't plan on desexing the pupp either).

Also I've heard that favouring the older girl and giving her priority will establish her as dominant and hopefully the younger wont challenger her, provided she knows her place.

Do you plan to breed?

Do you plan to breed?

possibly will breed the pure amstaff when he/she is old enough, but probably not the older girl

No younger will still challenge older if they feel it is in their own best interest. No way I would have 2 intact bitches of a bull breed. And if you are leaving them outside to their own devises a large amount of the time they will sort things out to suit themselves. Whether that is peacefully is a lottery.

You can't do anything to prevent it, other than keeping them separate. I'm not sure what you want people to say - you asked advice, everyone gave you the same answer, but you still want another bitch.

Yeah just trying to cover all angles I guess, like I said I've never owned a male and I'm not too sure in the differences

You can't do anything to prevent it, other than keeping them separate. I'm not sure what you want people to say - you asked advice, everyone gave you the same answer, but you still want another bitch.

Yeah just trying to cover all angles I guess, like I said I've never owned a male and I'm not too sure in the differences

For starters you would have much less chance of coming home to a dead dog sometime down the track