Funny Old Dogs

Kirislin

Feather whippet has just had her 14th birthday and is quite frail and wobbly. She sleeps with me and my bed is fairly high, much higher than normal. Sometimes she can jump up and down, and sometimes she isn't up to it. She's clever enough to call for help if she wants to go to bed and just cant face jumping up herself. I never mind her barking for assistance, I'd rather her do that than attempt it and then fall back and hurt herself. Sometimes I'll be in here and I'll hear this plaintive yelpy type of bark and I know she is calling for help. I usually yell out 'I'm coming' and go to help. The silly old girl though, sometimes she's so happy to see me coming to help her up on the bed that it gives her the impetus to actually jump up by herself anyway. :laugh:

:D gotta love the oldies. My BC Kirra is 14 and 3 months .. thankfully going pretty well physically. Not so sure about mentally sometimes.. you get that vague look (the sort of look I'm sure I do sometimes :rofl: )

None of my oldies now jumps onto the bed, which is a bit of relief really, because I don’t have to shut the bedroom door. Danny, Jeune and Tamar used to bound onto the bed (which is also quite high) as though they had springs.

What I found with mine is that one day they could and the next they couldn’t. Tamar and Jeune can still jump off but Danny and Bunter can’t. Bunter usually starts whinging if he wants to get off and Danny is a bit like Feather, in that he gives a raucous/help-me-mum bark. I wish Bunter would bark because sometimes I don’t wake up and instead I hear this dreadful thumping and clunking because he’s thrown himself off.

I have a whole post on steps though :D :D

(My darling brave Myrtie ( :rainbowbridge: )

MyrtieonDogSteps5.jpg

Lily doesn't need steps. She has me.

She barks when she wants something which is great.

she sounds like Feather then. she's clever enough to ask for help, except that silly old Feather sometimes forgets that she needed help and ends up doing it herself.

I've got some steps but she will only use them if I help her, which defeats the purpose.

Not really - not as bad as fully lifting her up.

Have you seen my thread in Market Place about the ramp?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/265803-ramp/

Maybe you could find or make something like that?

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Jarrah can jump on the bed, but she won't do it in the dark; instead she barks; I turn on the light; she jumps up. Her night vision is failing.

Lately she has been barking at the front door rather than using the doggie door in back. I'm tempted to just let her bark, but it's very hot here and I'm afraid she'll get heat stress.

Just now I heard Feather yipping for me to go and lift her onto the bed. As soon as I walked she starts wagging her tail knowing I'll help her and she's looking forward to snuggling under the doona. I picked her up and lifted the doona and sheet at the foot end of the bed and covered her over, but no, that's no good, so she gets out, walks to the head of the bed, so I do the same thing, lift it up and she scoots under there and ends up in exactly the same place I'd just put her! Obviously she's got a sense of routine and things have to be done just the right way.

Just now I heard Feather yipping for me to go and lift her onto the bed. As soon as I walked she starts wagging her tail knowing I'll help her and she's looking forward to snuggling under the doona. I picked her up and lifted the doona and sheet at the foot end of the bed and covered her over, but no, that's no good, so she gets out, walks to the head of the bed, so I do the same thing, lift it up and she scoots under there and ends up in exactly the same place I'd just put her! Obviously she's got a sense of routine and things have to be done just the right way.

:) flooding memories of Sam doing that to me , would give a happy bark to be helped up onto modular lounge ( 40 kilo ) and "that" look of smile on his face , then my arms under his lower belly area and lift his back part up , he had HD since about 3 yrs and back disc problem last few yrs of his life , lovely 14 yrs old , and he use to stand at back car door and bark to get help getting in so could lay in warmth of car

in the end I had to encourage him to lay on a big comfy pillow on lounge floor in case he tried to get up when I wasnt home , eventually he got use to that

got to love our oldies :)

my little cavvie uses small steps for getting on the bed and off , a few treats and she got use to them