Nsw Pet Registry Now Online

~Anne~

Do you think the new system will let me change the microchip from the original owner/pound to me? Even though I live in Victoria?

T and I will be going up to NSW on a short roadtrip if they want us to do it in person. I'd just feel a lot more relaxed if both registries had her real owner and contact details - me. :(

I'm never getting a NSW chipped dog again, too much of a bother :(

Thistle to change ownership the original owner needs to create a profile, claim the dog, then 'release' the dog (I'm fairly certain they put your details in when they 'release' it). You then create a profile and 'claim' the dog.

If you can't get them to do it or you aren't in contact with the original order you can just go in to council and do a stat dec and fill out the change of ownership form without the NSW owner's details.

With this new system it'll be way easier online to keep a NSW chip up to date if you're interstate :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no idea who the original details belong to (obviously the council can't just tell me for privacy reasons) but the rescue reckons it was just the pound manager...but they lost all the paperwork :( (or more i suspect are poorly organised in regards to paperwork)

I'm happy to do a stat dec and all that. I did that last year but when I emailed to get the address to post it too they told me this:

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

The NSW Companion Animals Register (NSW CAR) is a NSW Government database provided for NSW local councils to record registration information of cats and dogs resident in NSW. The NSW CAR only records council registrations and is not a national register of microchips. Information recorded on the NSW CAR is confidential and not widely available for access by authorities outside NSW.

The National Pet Register notified us via email that this animal had been registered with them. As a result this record on the NSW CAR was marked “out-of-date” with a note that it has been listed on a national register. This will assist NSW authorised officers to contact you should your pet be picked up in NSW.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

NSW Companion Animal Register (Operating Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm)

Office of Local Government | Locked Bag 3015, Nowra NSW 2541

e: [email protected] | p: 1300 134 460 | http://www.olg.nsw.gov.au

It doesn't sound reliable to me. But I didn't end up posting it. Still got all the emails though. I guess I just can't fathom why they can't update it with my details? Can't notes be overlooked? I'd be beyond devastated if I lost her.

(and there's the point of pride that she's my dog, i don't want someone else's name on her! What if she gets lost and taken back to the pound in NSW? :( :( )

But I guess on a re-read years later it is better than nothing...

Edited by Thistle the dog

I've no idea who the original details belong to (obviously the council can't just tell me for privacy reasons) but the rescue reckons it was just the pound manager...but they lost all the paperwork :( (or more i suspect are poorly organised in regards to paperwork)

I'm happy to do a stat dec and all that. I did that last year but when I emailed to get the address to post it too they told me this:

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

The NSW Companion Animals Register (NSW CAR) is a NSW Government database provided for NSW local councils to record registration information of cats and dogs resident in NSW. The NSW CAR only records council registrations and is not a national register of microchips. Information recorded on the NSW CAR is confidential and not widely available for access by authorities outside NSW.

The National Pet Register notified us via email that this animal had been registered with them. As a result this record on the NSW CAR was marked “out-of-date” with a note that it has been listed on a national register. This will assist NSW authorised officers to contact you should your pet be picked up in NSW.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

NSW Companion Animal Register (Operating Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm)

Office of Local Government | Locked Bag 3015, Nowra NSW 2541

e: [email protected] | p: 1300 134 460 | http://www.olg.nsw.gov.au

It doesn't sound reliable to me. But I didn't end up posting it. Still got all the emails though. I guess I just can't fathom why they can't update it with my details? Can't notes be overlooked? I'd be beyond devastated if I lost her.

(and there's the point of pride that she's my dog, i don't want someone else's name on her! What if she gets lost and taken back to the pound in NSW? :( :( )

But I guess on a re-read years later it is better than nothing...

That is a really weird response from the OLG as the guidelines for us council officers specifically state that if a person moves interstate and sends a change of address/ownership form we should update the registry with their interstate address.

The fact that she's on the NPR is helpful if she's ever lost in NSW as we've all got access to those private registries as well, but the worry I would have is that if the pound sees that she does have a NSW chip entry they may not actually search the interstate registries like they would if there was no data on her chip. On top of that, they probably wouldn't be able to allow you to reclaim her until she had done her 14 days in the pound because you aren't listed as her owner on the chip.

Send me a PM - happy to help you get all this up to date and if you like I can just get you to email the forms directly to me at work and I'll update it all for you.

Stupid me put Ms as title on the profile, but my dogs are chipped to me as Miss, so nothing comes up without having to search each individual dog...

AND the stupid thing won't let me change my title to Miss... grrr! Time to give up on the flawed system and not go any further...

You'd think it could automagically come up with all pets under the bloody address, rather than some stupid and pedantic exact match to title/name combos... what moron wrote this thing?

T.

Stupid me put Ms as title on the profile, but my dogs are chipped to me as Miss, so nothing comes up without having to search each individual dog...

AND the stupid thing won't let me change my title to Miss... grrr! Time to give up on the flawed system and not go any further...

You'd think it could automagically come up with all pets under the bloody address, rather than some stupid and pedantic exact match to title/name combos... what moron wrote this thing?

T.

It's not a flawed system. It's just an issue with the datamatch. The details are being pulled from the NSW CAR. It's pretty simple to get it fixed - just ring your council and have the original details amended.

The new system will prevent this kind of future issue.

Regardless, the new system is here to stay. Vets, councils and authorised identifiers will all be using it. It's your choice to use it or not use it if you're a pet owner, but it certainly makes a lot of sense to begin using it.

T.

It's not a flawed system. It's just an issue with the datamatch. The details are being pulled from the NSW CAR. It's pretty simple to get it fixed - just ring your council and have the original details amended.

Regardless, the new system is here to stay. Vets, councils and authorised identifiers will all be using it. It's your choice to use it or not use it if you're a pet owner, but it certainly makes a lot of sense to begin using it.

Well Im a way off seeing that the new system will prevent these kind of things happening in future because you still have to get exactly whatever the person entering the data typed in to claim it. Right now its not making a lot of sense to me to start using it as a breeder.

Went to get some pups chipped yesterday and asked my vet about - not interested and wont even look at it not eager to do the councils work for them and data will not be entered online by their clinic.

Well... I KNOW that my current 2 dogs' details are correct, as I had to register Harper and Pickles with council the other week... and checked on Trouble's details at the same time... so I won't be faffing about with the clunky front end that's currently on offer online thanks...

T.

T.

Well Im a way off seeing that the new system will prevent these kind of things happening in future because you still have to get exactly whatever the person entering the data typed in to claim it. Right now its not making a lot of sense to me to start using it as a breeder.

Went to get some pups chipped yesterday and asked my vet about - not interested and wont even look at it not eager to do the councils work for them and data will not be entered online by their clinic.

Vets are resistant to use any database because it means they have to do data entry. With the new system, the breeders details come up when the breeder ID is entered. It doesn't have to be retyped for every pup in the litter, like the current system.

As for doing people put of work, some councils actually now charge to do the data entry. So by all means, vets can still send them to the council to do but they shouldn't be surprised when they start getting billed for it.

As for the new system, it is THE system so it doesn't matter if your council enters the details for you or not, it is still on the new system. It's just that YOU will not choose to acces it yourself. It's no biggie, as I said. Continue to use the council as you choose.

Yes I have always understood it is the only system but right now its miles easier for me to send in the form - which as yet don't have a breeder numbers on it , nor is there any need to show ID to get pups chipped, nor is it necessary to be the breeder or the owner to take puppies to the vet and get them chipped in anybody's name.

T.

my friend just wasted most of yesterday.

so soothing to my frayed nerves to see her so frazzled at her attempts.

I couldnt even get it to digest my address. it says type your address, then click on window with address choices for automatic download into the magic boxes you dummy arent allowed to fill by your stupid self. for me the box dropped but it wouldnt even deign to notice when I clicked on the correct line of addresses.

it happily digested her address, then automatically filled the locked boxes intself.

EXCEPT instead of her street name in that spot its where the name of her suburb is, where is her suburb? in the spot for her street name?

marvellous

Edited by asal