Licences To Kill Native Animals Victoria

Steve

My link Government issues licences to kill wombats, wallabies, kookaburras, swans, emus and parrots - PERMITS to kill thousands of native animals, including black swans, kookaburras and more than 1500 wombats were issued by Victoria's Department of Sustainability and the Environment last year in a move that has outraged animal rights activists.

Authorities also gave the nod for more than 32,000 kangaroos and wallabies to be killed.

In two cases, permits to kill up to 300 parrots were issued to protect golf courses.

Authorities also granted permits for wildlife officers to kill up to 10 Australian fur seals.

Other Australian animals marked for death included eastern rosellas, rainbow lorikeets and sulphur-crested cockatoos.

The kill list was obtained under the Freedom of Information laws by Victorian Greens leader Greg Barber who has been campaigning to have all animal killing permits made public.

In June, Mr Barber attempted to have all permits to cull wildlife tabled in State Parliament, a move that was frustrated after Environment Minister Ryan Smith said it would involve an unreasonable diversion of his department's resources.

Other documents obtained under FOI show authorities gave permission to shoot 100 brushtail possums in the Geelong Botanic Gardens, while Avalon Airport was allowed to kill 10 magpies, 20 galahs, 40 ravens and two Cape Barren geese that were interfering with aircraft.

The documents also reveal wildlife officers at Parks Victoria's Serendip Sanctuary applied to kill an emu that had become aggressive and was threatening human safety.

They were also given the right to destroy 80 emu chick nests to control population numbers.

Permits to kill more than 500 emus were issued statewide last year.

Felicity Andersen, a spokeswoman for Animal Liberation Victoria, which opposes all animal killing, said she was shocked at the scale of the slaughter.

"It's obscene," Ms Anderson said.

"There is no justification for this killing whatsoever."

Mr Barber said there needed to be more transparency over the issuing of permits to kill native animals.

"This all happens under the cloak of secrecy," he said.

"'If the full extent of the slaughter was known there would be outrage."

DSE spokesman Nick Talbot said all native wildlife was protected in Victoria but where it was significantly affecting agriculture or primary production or posing a threat to public safety and health, people could apply for a permit to control it and in some instances, this permit allowed for its destruction.

He said the permits to kill fur seals were issued to wildlife officers in case they needed to euthanise an animal for welfare or public safety reasons.

"Destruction of wildlife under an authority to control wildlife permits only occurs after all other options have been considered and each application is assessed by a DSE wildlife officer," he said.

"Should this be necessary, ATCW conditions specify the maximum number and permitted method.

"This ensures it is carried out in an ethical and humane manner and that the sustainability of the species is not compromised."

The DSE killing practices were condemned by John Kelly, head of the Kangaroo Industry Association of Victoria, which has long campaigned for a kangaroo meat industry in Victoria.

"In a protein-starved world, it's a criminal waste of meat," he said.

"It's highly likely the same number are being killed without permits."

Emily Broadbent, a spokeswoman for Environment Minister Ryan Smith said that following disagreements last year between landholders and other residents over applications to cull kangaroos, he had created a committee of experts to advise the secretary of DSE on the most appropriate management options for wildlife.

HIT LIST

Swamp Wallaby PERMITS ISSUED: 128 No. TO BE KILLED: 2239

Rainbow Lorikeet PERMITS ISSUED: 20 No. TO BE KILLED: 910

Kookaburra PERMITS ISSUED: No. TO BE KILLED: 30

Emu : No. TO BE KILLED: 538

Black Swan No. TO BE KILLED: 10

Common Wombat No. TO BE KILLED: 1612

Edited by Steve

None of the animals named in the article are listed as in any danger population-wise by the IUCN... http://www.iucnredlist.org/ ... in fact all of the ones listed in the article actually show populations increasing...

ALL are protected species in most states, however... so permits must be sought to be able to stop them becoming a pest species... and thusly open to widescale killing...

I agree with issuing proactive destruction orders to rangers in case they need to put down an animal in need of same - but surely some of the critters listed could have been trapped and relocated to areas needing a population boost? But that would cost a hell of a lot more, right?

I'm not overly fussed on killing our native animals purely because they have become inconvenient to our human lifestyles... or any animals for that matter...

T.

I hate the wastage when they cull kangaroos, I think it's criminal to just leave them where they lay, or bury them in a mass grave. Their meat and hides should be used. :(

Just taken on face value, if an emu was becoming dangerous to people then I think there could be justification in killing it

the ringlock and electric fences being used much more readily these days kill so many more emus/macropods as they effectively deny the access to water /fresh pasture, and confine the critters so they are more easily killed by rifles etc.

the ringlock and electric fences being used much more readily these days kill so many more emus/macropods as they effectively deny the access to water /fresh pasture, and confine the critters so they are more easily killed by rifles etc.

and a horrible slow agonising death if they get caught up in them too. :(

I'm currently working with a startup company on developing a virtual fence for cattle. We envisage that it will be particularly useful for fencing off rivers, waterways and riparian zones and have had a lot of interest from Catchment Management Authorities and wildlife/conservation groups.

I'm currently working with a startup company on developing a virtual fence for cattle. We envisage that it will be particularly useful for fencing off rivers, waterways and riparian zones and have had a lot of interest from Catchment Management Authorities and wildlife/conservation groups.

brilliant :)

forever in our part of the world, old 4/5 strand wire fences were the norm . Properties were large , and the good ol' merinos would usually stay in their own paddocks, fence or not! LOL

Emus/macropods could access the travelling paths they have used for centuries ....

Now, with places being divided, and the scourge of the outback (DORPERSHEEP) being popular , fencing needs to be strong and absolutely impenetrable as these darn things have no respect .I have seen them run thru a 5 strand BARBED wire fence ..wriggle under ringlock (which is why electric outrigger wires are being used) and just absolutely wreck fencing >

We will never see an emu on our little patch again , as we have had to ringlock our boundary to stop next door's dorpers marching in - contaminating our merino flock , and eating everything - just like goats :p

I hate the stuff.

When Dorpers were introduced here and the 'industry' widely held conferences and information days etc extolling their benefits (meat, shedding, twinning, profitability, all that) they did not mentioned their strength and determination and need/cost of required fencing. Funny that.

In their favour I'd say that the ones from farms near us constantly getting out onto the road do have better road-sense than the odd Merino Comeback Corriedale on the roads. They get more practice in the long paddock.

On the OP wildlife, yes Steve I find some of that pretty gut-wrenching. I'm not in favour of a kangaroo industry at all, I don't put "using" wildlife as always a good thing: just a "people are so important" thing. Australian soils are impoverished in general, better to let organic matter compost in than to profiteer on it.

SD the virtual fences sound interesting. I don't like electric collar used on dogs, the mis-use can be unpleasant. But that is what CSIRO were talking about for stock control when I worked there yonks ago, I thought it had all been shelved with funding cuts. Is it finally being trialled successfully more widely??

When Dorpers were introduced here and the 'industry' widely held conferences and information days etc extolling their benefits (meat, shedding, twinning, profitability, all that) they did not mentioned their strength and determination and need/cost of required fencing. Funny that.

In their favour I'd say that the ones from farms near us constantly getting out onto the road do have better road-sense than the odd Merino Comeback Corriedale on the roads. They get more practice in the long paddock.

On the OP wildlife, yes Steve I find some of that pretty gut-wrenching. I'm not in favour of a kangaroo industry at all, I don't put "using" wildlife as always a good thing: just a "people are so important" thing. Australian soils are impoverished in general, better to let organic matter compost in than to profiteer on it.

SD the virtual fences sound interesting. I don't like electric collar used on dogs, the mis-use can be unpleasant. But that is what CSIRO were talking about for stock control when I worked there yonks ago, I thought it had all been shelved with funding cuts. Is it finally being trialled successfully more widely??

Hi PM - yes, the original work was done by CSIRO and the company I work for has the exclusive IP to the technology. We've been running trials since January (in partnership with CSIRO) and are developing a prototype. In terms of animal behaviour and welfare, it's very very different from a dog collar (it responds to behaviour rather than location and is automated using software/GPS technology that detects animal movement e.g. the animal can lie down on the virtual fence and nothing happens), the animals get a smaller shock than an electric fence and, once they have learned (2-3 pairings in our trials) they respond to the audio cue alone. Happy to answer any questions but you can read more here: http://agersens.com/eshepherd/

I work for them two days a week - mainly focussing on animal behaviour and welfare issues - risk assessment, equipment design, designing trials and submitting ethics applications, fitting and testing collars, engaging with animal welfare organisations/research institutions/government/industry and the current bane of my existence, regulation change. Plus social media and presenting seminars/lectures and anything else that needs doing!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What sort of regulation changes? Ag or comms?

POCTA - the process varies from state to state but the essentials are that electronic devices are banned (in the Act), except for specific uses outlined in the Regulations. We can't do research in VIC because the use is banned. However, in NSW, provided we are working with a recognised research institution and go through their AEC we are exempt. They can be used without restriction in QLD and TAS.

Are they using virtual fencing on the UNE smart farm? There were some discussions around that, I think, but I don't recall if the fences were installed.

Why the Vic ban?

UNE is doing some work with sheep but it's very early on. CSIRO has also received some funding to start looking at sheep.

In Victoria, The POCTA Act prohibits the use of electronic devices on animals. The POCTA Regulations provide exemptions for certain devices such as electric prodders on certain species of livestock and electronic collars on dogs and cats but because there is no explicit exemption for electronic collars on COWS, we can't use them. Nor is there an exemption that allows us to use them in partnership with a research institution. So we have to go interstate where electronic collars are banned outright but can be used for the purposes of research. It's just how the legislation is written. Even some of the animal welfare orgs were surprised how it was written up.

I have Dorpers and they are absolute bastards with fencing but because I have Maremma in the paddocks with them I am not able to use electric fencing so we had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to re- fence everything to keep them in.

Thats all done now but would have been good to have an alternative that didnt take so much money and work.

I have Dorpers and they are absolute bastards with fencing but because I have Maremma in the paddocks with them I am not able to use electric fencing so we had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to re- fence everything to keep them in.

Thats all done now but would have been good to have an alternative that didnt take so much money and work.

We call them 'termites'. Go anywhere, chew thru anything, no respect for anyone!! I don't even enjoy the taste when one happens to fall in the freezer ...... :o Our dear old Merinos are on our side of the new boundary fence - even tho there are only posts at present!! LOL

Our first pet sheep was a stray Dorper. Finally found the original owner who was graceful enough to gift it to me or take it back whichever I chose. I chose please please take it back - the sheep in question was a Sherman Tank. Turned out it was bottle-reared and had no fear of people, friendly but dangerous. Either had no idea of its own strength, or knew and didn't care. It would have been just a matter of time before a serious injury, seriously.

Our current six pet sheep are Awassi, East Friesian, Corriedale and Merino/Comeback. All bottle-raised, they are confident but well mannered, huge difference.