Snake Proof Fencing.

bridgie_cat

Hey DOL friends,

We have just had an extremely traumatic and terrifying incident with a good friend whose 2 dogs were bitten by a snake in her yard. Luckily both survived, but we had a couple of days there at the vets where we did not think they would make it. They were very very sick.

Anyway - now you have the context - she is in need of snake proofing advice re her fencing. She has already gone to many lengths with netting etc to proof it but didnt realise the snakes could be climbing over!! So - the question is - how high do fences need to be, should there be an outward angle on the top to stop them coming over? Has anyone got any idea what will keep them out?

Thanks for any advice - these dogs are my friends but they are like family to me!

Bridget

I have read if you use something like chicken wire in a loose roll that snakes get stuck. Its because they can't go backwards, something about their scales I think. Not the most helpful description but you might be able to google.

As to angles etc, I don't think that would help much. I had to shoo a huge python of the road the other day (reached both sides of a wider single lane road). It could lift it's head, unsupported, quite a distance off the ground to climb. I've seen little tree snakes do the same.

Vermin mesh will generally stop large and baby snakes [5mm - 6.5mm squares]. As long as there are no bushes/trees nearby which snakes can use to get over things - generally a meter high attached to existing fencing is sufficient [also dig into the ground for extra strength as some snakes are persistent pushers to get into places]. Also providing fixed poly piping in different areas around a dog yard will allow a snake to go and hide from dogs, if by chance one gets in.

Edited by Kajirin

Please don't use netting or wire designed to trap a snake in it. It's not only incredibly cruel and painful way to die, a venemous snake caught up in that will be one angry snake and those same dogs that got bitten (by cornering or even trying to get at the snake) will now have free access to a pissed off trapped snake.

A dog run (snake proof) would be easier than trying to snake proof an entire yard. ( Ososwift had a good post on how they do their dog runs against snakes.)

Snakes can climb, my Python can go vertically 5 foot (he's 6 ft long) and they can squeeze through the smallest places.

They also climb trees, any non slippery surface can be climbed.

Also trying to snake fence your entire yard has the problem that there could already be a snake in the yard somewhere and then you've fenced it in.

That's miserable Bridgie-cat, and constant sick worry. The mouse-proof wire that also keeps snakes out is very expensive - and they can burrow under as well, I've seen that. There is no way to fence securely without spending big - more than most people would be able to or prepared to. Bird netting will catch snakes up, like Cazablanca said it comes with risk to snakes and catchers alike. But not chicken wire - nylon type bird netting is the one to use if they must - but the dogs are then at more risk if they approach so it is not a solution.

Snakes need water and frogs are their main diet - even if a very accessible low tub of water is supplied outside of the fence, it won't "bring" snakes because they are already there. But it does give them a drink without having to come into a reasonably proofed house yard. Same with echidnas if you have them around, they must drink, and a reliably filled ground level tub will protect them from coming into the yard to be attacked by dogs. Works for possums too, give wild-life its most driving basic need off-property gives them less of a driving need to seek it in the house-yard.

We have probably the same as your area, blacks and browns and tigers, and they come in for the chook-pens and feed-shed, after mice and the odd egg or chicken if they can access them. Ongoing worry, I am lucky that our two little dogs are now totally terrified of them so don't get up close and personal.

It would be almost impossible to build a snake proof fence around a yard. Look at how snakes are contained in zoos etc- high concrete or other solid fencing!

Snakes are remarkable in their agility and speed!

All I can suggest is work out why they are coming to the yard???? Is there water?are there hides holes in shrubbery/under wood or sheds?

Are there chooks/ aviaries/ people wo feed birds nearby? Any bird/ horse/ pet food will attract mice which are great snake food and which dig tunnels that snakes love to use!

.... Is there water?are there hides holes in shrubbery/under wood or sheds? ....Any bird/ horse/ pet food will attract mice which are great snake food and which dig tunnels that snakes love to use!

That's my dilemma, there is no answer to it of course. Wild birds need water left out in summer, so do my dogs when not in the house, so do the chooks when in what passes for a garden. I get heartsick looking at the drought-stricken country around, and if I had to make my back-yard as bare and featureless - well I'd give up.

So we have shrubbery, and pots of water on the ground for echidnas or anyone else who needs it, and a massive wood-heap because we rely on wood for heating and just a little cooking, and chooks, and horse feed, hay bales, snake heaven in other words. Some aspects of life I can't do without - people around here do, with yards like billiard tables, shedding so far from the house you need to drive to it, no animals within cooee. Miserable way to live whether town or country to have no aspect of a little wilderness or naturalness to enjoy in the back or front yard. Circular problems, no solutions, live with crossed fingers.

This year we may have snakes in greater numbers , now there's ground cover and more life.

must admit, since I got really serious with mouse baiting , the mouse population has dropped by about 90% ..and so too have snake tracks/snakes seen - esp in the aviary - simply no mice anymore- and that was the main source of the meeces previously .

P C it is hard - and I appreciate your sentiments :)

The bird netting works the best but in the end you can only make it harder & minimize the risks that bring snakes .

Keeping the lawns well mowed,mice away etc etc helps.

If they have chooks & aviaries then you increase the risk of snakes as with any stock feed .

And own some good snake relocation tools & that isn't a shovel

I reckon Ive had a go at most things and I dont believe that there is anything we can do here to prevent them but you can try and cut down the risks. Last year the Maremma took out 4 brown snakes in the house yard before they got to the other dogs or me.

Best you can do is make sure the whole place has nothing on the ground that they can hide under so you can stand a chance of seeing them.

Last night we were sitting on the porch and could hear the sound of the frogs so with these and mice its a gourmet meal waiting for them and at 4 o'clock this morning when I stepped out of the car at the front gate to open and close it twice in and twice out I was very aware of the long grass because of the recent rain and on full alert for sounds or movement.

First job this morning when it got light was poisoning the grass around the entrance gate to the property and Ill wear boots and long pants.

Low lying plants here are a risk - my son was weeding the Lavender last year and how the brown snake missed him was a miracle and we have had one sleeping under the Jasmine too.

Hubby wont let us use the bird netting as he is worried that the dogs will be at more risk if the snake is trapped and cranky.

After having an incredibly expensive, and harrowing snake envenomation in january this year I too am constantly worried, and don't know how best to deal with it.

Our plan of attack is to keep all grass very low, and make sure there is nothing laying around for snakes to hide in. We will also do a yard/dog run walk/check before letting any dogs out, and no dog will be allowed loose in the yard when we aren't around.

We were incredibly lucky that we arrived home as the bite occurred as our girl was down and out in less than 5 mins, and unable to breath on her own in 20.

Unfortunately as our neighbours have chickens and ducks, there is absolutely nothing more we can do because even Vermin mesh isn't a guarantee.