Sign in to follow this  
grizabella

Monkeying around... and other animals

2 posts in this topic

A thread for my animal photos (aside from Bella and the Monarto chimps), because I take a lot. 

I realised I hadn't shared any photographs of the animals I worked with at AAP Primadomus, a rescue centre in Spain, earlier this year. I was part of a team caring for chimpanzees, two species of macaques, and two species of marmosets. Almost all the animals were former pets and performers, and many continue to struggle with problem behaviours as a result of their rearing. At AAP, they are integrated with their own kind, and most will be eventually moved on to a new home -along, of course, with their new families.

One of the most endearing groups of primates I worked with was Lazaros' group of pig-tailed macaques. The leader, Lazaros, spent many years suspended in a tiny cage, and the result is that his legs are slightly crippled. He is a small monkey, elderly and slow-moving, but with a lot of attitude- no one messes with him. One can't help but admire his spirit.

25427005747_6ac5f6d8be_c.jpgLazaros by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

41517633551_f3a1b4e03d_c.jpgLazaros by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Even older than Lazaros was Glenn, the oldest of his species on record at 31 years old (or more). Glenn was quite possibly the least attractive monkey I've ever seen, but it's impossible not to love him. He was a courageous little soul, and it was a great privilege to care for him

28002813309_33567090bc_c.jpgGlenn by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Then there was Calimero... a very feisty fellow! With long, spindly limbs, he was well equipped to grab and pull hair should we get too close when giving his dinner. 

25908881228_2d28a8aa31_c.jpgCalimero by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

And my special favourite, dear Ino, Glenn's son. Bottom of the pile, he was a supportive son to Glenn when the old guy was having troubles with his health, and would often show me a friendly greeting face. I've met a fair few monkeys in my time, but Ino is probably the very sweetest.

28002830389_48184947b5_c.jpgIno by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

40624573815_b926463723_c.jpgIno by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Edited by grizabella