Jump to content
sheena

autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

45 posts in this topic

Excellent to hear.  Did the vet confirm what it was?  Was it a snake or poison?  

 

If if it was a snake what can you do to prevent the snake from returning?  It’s awful to be fearful of it wandering around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sheena   
12 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Excellent to hear.  Did the vet confirm what it was?  Was it a snake or poison?  

 

If if it was a snake what can you do to prevent the snake from returning?  It’s awful to be fearful of it wandering around.

They are treating it as primary  autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

No secondary cause apparently....just the way he is :(  Not sure if it could be genetic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sheena said:

They are treating it as primary  autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

No secondary cause apparently....just the way he is :(  Not sure if it could be genetic

Is it fully treatable so that she doesn’t relapse?  Like meds for life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sheena   
16 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

Is it fully treatable so that she doesn’t relapse?  Like meds for life?

He is still not out of the woods & from my understanding, from a friend whos dog had it, he will need to be monotered for at least 12 months & not sure about the meds for life, but I would imagine so.  It is my daughters little dog, not mine.  At the moment he has been sent home with meds & has to go back in for a blood check every day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snook   

I hope he's continuing to improve and is coping okay with the blood tests. I hope you and your daughter are holding up okay under the stress if it all too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tassie   

It's really encouraging that he's hanging in there … but yes .. really stressful all round.   Fingers and paws continue to be crossed for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tassie   
3 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Is it fully treatable so that she doesn’t relapse?  Like meds for life?

Depends a lot on the type, and the dog's response.   If they're thinking primary .. then it means maybe no outside cause .. just the dog's own immune system doing something it shouldn't be doing and attacking the dog's own red blood cells.    You'll find out more by doing web searches.   It's a seriously nasty disease .. survival levels are getting somewhat better, especially when transfusions are available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tassie said:

just the dog's own immune system doing something it shouldn't be doing and attacking the dog's own red blood cells.   

Its weird that this happened so suddenly where the immune system just shuts downs.  So scary for both the parents and the fur baby.  I would be in tears.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogsfevr   

I would also be sure to look at Titer testing instead of vaccination in the future & be very mindful of any flea/tick meds being used

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sheena   
13 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

I would also be sure to look at Titer testing instead of vaccination in the future & be very mindful of any flea/tick meds being used

Yes I agree.  Last night his blood count was up to 30 :party::party:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sheena  it’s been a while we heard from you about your grandson.  I assume no news is good news.  How’s he doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sheena   
10 hours ago, teddybeans said:

@sheena  it’s been a while we heard from you about your grandson.  I assume no news is good news.  How’s he doing?

Hi Teddybeans, cooper is going well.  His last blood count was around 40.  The ongoing cost for his treatment is a bit of a drain on my daughters finances, but she is hanging in there, now that she has come this far.  He is on a few drugs, but the one she would like to find an alternate supplier for, is the Atopica 50mg which the vet is charging $125 for 15 tablets, which last for just 15 days.  A bit of a Google shows she can get it cheaper, but the problem lies in trying to get the prescription off the vet :(

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tassie   

Good to read this update @sheena.  I've been thinking of your daughter's lad too.   Definitely a good sign that his count is still going up.    It's a shame about the Atopica though.  Could she not have a heart to heart with the vet about possible cheaper sources?  Very disappointing if the vet would give her a script.   How long does the lad have to be on the meds?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she makes sure it’s the same product, purchased from an Australian veterinary pharmacy, and offers to pay a script writing fee, that may allay any concerns (and cover their costs).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snook   

Great to hear he's doing so well. :)

 

As Papillon Kisses said, a lot of vets will write a script if you pay a script fee. I'm not sure what regular vets charge for it but Justice's vet behaviourist charges a $25 script fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sheena   

My understanding is that he has to remain on the Atopica while ever he is on steroids, so not sure how long that will be.  I will tell her about offering the vet a script fee.  Thanks everyone for thinking of him :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×