UPDATE ON SOOTY

Loving my Oldies

My precious Sooty is going steadily downhill, but we have regular vet visits to ensure we are doing everything that needs and should be done to give her quality of life.  

Her back legs are deteriorating and she now has dementia quite badly.  She is still a good weight, eats and drinks well, albeit she needs to be hand fed.  

We still have good times and she still enjoys bopping around the front garden, but she needs a lot of comforting as her dementia presents itself in anxiety and seeming inability to move from the spot she is in.  We have lots of cuddles and I regularly bring her into bed with me these nights as once she gets distressed in her bed at night, that is all that can comfort her.  She generally sleeps through the night.  

Here are some selfie videos (no idea how I managed it LOL) that I took giving her a midnight snack.   I am so happy to have these videos to remind me of our loving moments.  

• Like 10

Stussy (recently turned 14) has started eating poo - hers (avoids Jonah's even though they eat the same thing). It's like she doesn't remember she already got fed (we are now at 2 meals a day and 2 snacks a day because of weight loss). I actually caught her tonight eating only 15 minutes after she'd had a big dinner! Doggy dementia sucks!

I also had a big wake up call with her only about a month or so. She's always been a tough nut and liked rough house kind of cuddles, kisses and scratches but a couple of months ago when she started to deteriorate mentally I noticed she was avoiding me on the lounge and bed in particular. If I touched her she'd get up and move. I suddenly realised how gentle I am with Jonah compared to her so I lightened all my physical interactions with her and we are back in love again! I think she was starting to feel vulnerable around me because I was being too rough on her old body without realising. There is just so much to be mindful of as they age and you have to constantly be looking for clues. I hate that their minds fail them before their bodies too. I'm glad Sooty finds comfort in your care. X

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

Stussy (recently turned 14) has started eating poo - hers (avoids Jonah's even though they eat the same thing). It's like she doesn't remember she already got fed (we are now at 2 meals a day and 2 snacks a day because of weight loss). I actually caught her tonight eating only 15 minutes after she'd had a big dinner! Doggy dementia sucks!

I also had a big wake up call with her only about a month or so. She's always been a tough nut and liked rough house kind of cuddles, kisses and scratches but a couple of months ago when she started to deteriorate mentally I noticed she was avoiding me on the lounge and bed in particular. If I touched her she'd get up and move. I suddenly realised how gentle I am with Jonah compared to her so I lightened all my physical interactions with her and we are back in love again! I think she was starting to feel vulnerable around me because I was being too rough on her old body without realising. There is just so much to be mindful of as they age and you have to constantly be looking for clues. I hate that their minds fail them before their bodies too. I'm glad Sooty finds comfort in your care. X

Mix some pineapple with her food LG, it's supposed to work on stopping poo eating

• Like 1