Cobberdog ignorance

Amazetl

Forgive me for my ignorance but I’ve never been interested in labradoodles or oodles and have never read much about them specifically. I feel like I’m starting down a rabbit warren and maybe some people on here have more info. 

So they are a ‘labradoodle’ a lab x poodle. They are MDBA (master dog breeders association) approved but that means nothing in regards to ethical breeders who do the appropriate health testing on their breeding dogs. But what is the actual difference between a Cobberdog and a labradoodle? I read that they use more than just a lab and poodle to produce labradoodles but somehow the Cobberdog has its own dna. So what is happening? Is this something that will one day become a registered breed? Is it on that path at all? I know the history of the Murray River Retriever and how they are now a recognised breed and I would imagine there are some other non recognised breeds out there that they are trying and will one day be recognised? Interestingly, my time spent on the MDBA website made me click on what on earth the ‘Theodore’ dog breed in the making was. I had heard of Cobberdog before but not Theodore. They are a ‘cavoodle’. 

Anyway, just wondering on future of possible breeds and how that is working since I thought the problem with oodles is that they can’t get them to breed true. 

Hope it’s ok to talk about on here. I’m not looking for one of these dogs or know anyone who is, just really curious since the oodles are so popular right now and seem to be everywhere. But these ones say they aren’t just the regular oodles and are ‘pure breeds’ under the MDBA. And many people who come across that might think it’s registered because of that. 

Thanks everyone. 

Please remove if this isn’t allowed. 

Cobberdog, as I understand it  is a new breed.  It's several generations past the first cross and shouldn't show the random trait mixes of F2 and F3 generations.   MDBA has testing standards,  though I haven't kept up with them.

Any Lab poodle cross can be called a labradoodle, regardless of how many generations of crossing are behind it.

The Wikipedia article is good.

Edited by sandgrubber

I read that they will forever keep it a secret of what breeds they used so that it isn’t copied without care and becomes all popular. So does that mean that there is a chance some time in the future that the Cobberdog will be a complete recognised breed? If so, that would be great right for those who do want the labradoodle since it doesn’t seem to be going away, the oodle craze. If they could establish a new breed where it is bred with care and tested over generations, but I guess there will always be the oodle breeders still. Difficult. I wonder what will happen in the future. 

Well, this is how new breeds emerge. There is a high demand for very stable dogs with a poodle-like coat that don't have the high interaction needs that a lot of poodles have. A lot of the poodle-coated breeds already in existence (ie, lagotto, portugese water dogs) are working dogs, with working dog needs. The average joe does not want a working dog.

If you can consistently get a poodle coat in poodles, you will be able to get a consistent coat in Cobberdogs, if you selectively breed for it for long enough.

I'd compare it to the unfilled niche for personal protection that led to the development of the Dobermann, or the unfilled niche for tough working dogs that would thrive in Australian conditions that led to the development of the kelpie and ACD.

• Like 4

There is a cobberdog that goes to my dog park.  The owner told me they were bred as "assistance" dogs and he got the dog for his daughter who had a mild disability.  He told me that's what the cobberdogs were bred for.  

I have no idea whether this true or not just what I was told.  This was about 2 years ago and before that I had never heard of cobberdogs.

Cobberdog breeders didn’t like the reputation that Labradoodles were getting so they made their own name to try to distinguish themselves.

I think they may have added in more breeds, pointer being one. Unless I’m getting mixed up with the “Australian Labradoodle” people.

I’m unsure whether they’re working towards ANKC recognition, which requires a unique name (see also: Australasian Bosdog).

They say that they are distinct from the normal Labradoodle. I think I read that there were 6 or maybe it was even more dog breeds that went into it that they will never share. I read that they only need to be clipped twice a year and brushed throughout. I don’t have any experience with a labradoodle but I imagine they are clipped much than that?