Man Fighting For Life After Mauling by Multiple Dogs in QLD Home

Deeds

Have you seen the huge sign on the fence and all padlocked up looking? This is a terrible terrible tragedy and apparently the dogs usually were behind a second fence in the past when meter readers would go in but so brave or wild that someone would ever trust and go in there when the gate and the sign looked like that. The owners weren’t home at the time. I don’t know if the article was wrong to begin with because so many are saying why didn’t the owners go and help. 

In a way I’m surprised that there haven’t been worst attacks on delivery people etc in the past as so many houses do have front fences with dogs in them and you’re going into their territory. This should have been preventable and so so horrible it’s happened. 

• Like 1

It could take two years before the coroner investigates, that is about the waiting time in NSW. In NSW people with security gates can get their meters read remotely.

Still, dogs loose that were capable of what Ian Dunbar calls Level 6 bites (highest level) - anything above Level 3 causes severe injuries and is poor prognosis for dog's rehab. 

My understanding of a lot of dog behaviour is that they will bail the person up, bark them off the property or hold them down but not bite. What guard dogs are meant to do apparently. Why did these dogs go so much further? Were they known to display aggression? If so, why weren’t they required to be contained appropriately? 

Why do some dogs make contact and not just nip or a few bites pushing you off the property but actually go into a frenzy? Why??? Is it something with the particular dog’s brain? All dogs of size are capable of holding a person where they want without ripping into them. This was a grown man too. 

3 hours ago, Amazetl said:

Have you seen the huge sign on the fence and all padlocked up looking? This is a terrible terrible tragedy and apparently the dogs usually were behind a second fence in the past when meter readers would go in but so brave or wild that someone would ever trust and go in there when the gate and the sign looked like that. The owners weren’t home at the time. I don’t know if the article was wrong to begin with because so many are saying why didn’t the owners go and help. 

In a way I’m surprised that there haven’t been worst attacks on delivery people etc in the past as so many houses do have front fences with dogs in them and you’re going into their territory. This should have been preventable and so so horrible it’s happened. 

I could have sworn it said owners were home when I first read it so you may be correct - an error they rectified. Not saying the owners should've done more either if they were home as they could have been seriously injured too trying to intervene. In either scenario it is a traumatic event.

• Sad 1

Very true that is can be worse in a pack and the dogs can make one another go to a next level, but I just still wonder why people have those sort of guard dogs to begin with as if someone does get hurt you’re liable. It’d be much better to have traditional types that chase off, bail up or hold down. 

They are reporting one is a Rhodesian Ridgeback cross (cross with what though?!), the other something called a bandog Bullmastiff, not a breed but a cross between a Pitbull, American Bulldog or Neapolitan Mastiff, or Mastiff. The third I’ve read wasn’t involved, another story it says it was seized but they aren’t identifying that one or talking any further about the third one so not sure. 

• Like 1