Man Fighting For Life After Mauling by Multiple Dogs in QLD Home

Deeds

It starts with the irresponsible people who choose to breed these cross breeds to sell exactly so someone can feel powerful having this terrifying looking dog on their property. And so many of them end up in the pounds too. Bad breeding is giving dogs a bad name to the general public. So many don’t like dogs because of some encounter they’ve had, when a dog well bred can be oh so good. Even the more ‘scary’ breeds can be well bred. As stated, true guard dogs aren’t designed to full on attack in a frenzy. 

I remember reading about a breeding program for a breed not usually considered to have aggression, their male they had planned to use as a stud displayed unusual aggressive tendencies so they decided to euthanise. They were never ever going to breed aggression into their lines. And the dog had a brain issue that kept the dog in a state of emotional pain. I always thought how brave that was of them and that they were strong enough to decide to do that out of love for their dog. Yet so many irresponsible people breed some dogs for aggression. 

• Like 3

There's not always choice when breeding them. People can be very sloppy when it comes to that.

Large mums have large litters and you can get a cute lge breed pup for $50 or just free handed over the gate because there's no buyers and too many pups. People choose to own them for so many intended reasons. Or just that they prefer big dogs.  

Identification with multi mix breeds is absolutely impossible which is why we use terms like Bull Arab, Staghound and Mastiff cross to visually identify them. The news always want an I.D. but fact is, it's practically irrelevant anyway after what they have done. It can't be pinned on any one breed this time. 

Rest in Peace to the dear man who brutally lost his life, and sending love to his family. :cry:    

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Redsonic said:

This is Kane Minion, the fellow who was killed. He obviously loved dogs.

d6548f1d797fb9b23940811ee3edfc09?impolic

ABC News Article

Yes, I had this come up on my facebook page.

with heaps of comments. i hit share. but only the news report came up, none of the comments?????  wish had copied and pasted them for you all to read.

Finally, now i understand why so many people keep dogs they know will kill someone

Pity, all the comments from the people who believe his death is his own fault, that people have the right to keep dogs that will kill . That the dogs "were doing their job and should not be put down". are not coming up if you click on the link? just the press release.
I am amazed how many have said on the fb page I "shared" were all in agreement.
That anyone who enters a property with "dangerous dog" or "guard dogs on duty" is solely at fault if they are killed.

Not the dogs, not the owners, even if they, as in this case left the front gate accessible and unlocked and the side gate open?????????????????

Why restrict access to guns then? I am sure this guy and all the others killed would have preferred a single shot to the head, compared to how they died.

His poor family. None of these people believe the dogs or their owners were responsible for his death.

Australia really has become another america.

some 40 years ago I watched in horror a video  I  stumbled on, of a dog catcher being torn apart by a pitt bull in america, as the watchers filmed her being attacked and voices telling her. "what you deserve for coming here where your not invited bitch!"

Well folks, its now australia's turn... its save yourself if its your turn some day if your in the wrong place at the right time for elimination. and that lot will tell your family, you "brought it on yourself" 

I suppose the comments I read that lot would be saying the same for the two dogs killed when they were put in a yard the two dogs next door could pull the fence apart to get to them and kill them. "they were only doing their job guarding their owners property".

stay as far as your can from any place with the warning up, particularly if the gate is  unlocked and catch open and they can get out.  Its your responsibility if your attacked.   

news to me.   How many of you agree with them?

can anyone explain to me why the person  holding a gun and pulling the trigger resulting in the shot killing the person aimed at, is charged with murder.

but the owner/owners\'s of a dog or dog's killing someone is not a murderer?  even less responsible if they have already warning on their gate that their dogs are "guard" or "dangerous" "dog" or "dogs". ?

Found the link.  No wonder so many people have been killed annually when so many replying to this 9 news post are right up front they believe their dogs  "are doing their job", if they kill someone who enters their property?

https://www.facebook.com/news.com.au/posts/pfbid0iQbFn1pzEcxfdtvLW1qgB7eS1LzFGxQGfrFrzvsD5h7JiHEa1HCcM4AqQjAEuK97l?comment_id=535011635154612&notif_id=1670221373188323&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Edited by asal

I wonder, given the picture with him and what appears to be an Amstaff or Staffy, if his previous experience gave him a false sense of confidence and he entered the property without heeding written warnings about the dogs or their physical warnings to him? 

I mean no disrespect to him, his memory or those who loved him by anything I’ve said above - it’s purely my musings and thoughts. It’s sad seeing his picture and putting a face to such a death. May he rest in peace. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ~Anne~ said:

I wonder, given the picture with him and what appears to be an Amstaff or Staffy, if his previous experience gave him a false sense of confidence and he entered the property without heeding written warnings about the dogs or their physical warnings to him? 

I mean no disrespect to him, his memory or those who loved him by anything I’ve said above - it’s purely my musings and thoughts. It’s sad seeing his picture and putting a face to such a death. May he rest in peace. 

from the article, the owners had in the past locked the side gate when advised the date and time the meter reader was coming. he had no reason to expect they did not comply this time.

but as you say, he did enter. "so no disrespect to him" .  "he entered the property without heeding the written warning".  your assuming the dogs were already in the front yard when he entered?     

as the article states in the previous meter readings the side gate had been locked. Due to the owners notification of the time and date the reader was coming.   rather begs the question, Why did they not comply this time?  Why are they not responsible for leaving the gate open?    as was the case this time.

It is sad the these dogs have been put down for doing their job.

but really do we now live in times where people need to have dogs that kill, doing their job?

until today I was unaware that "guard dogs" are within their job description to kill anyone who by whatever scenario puts a person within their reach?  even when the gates are not locked or latched????????    

would you also say the same if they had come though the unlocked front gate.  (which he had expected to be unlocked from prior meter readings)  and killed him before he was inside the property line?

Edited by asal

Many of these people with aggressive dogs may well have got them as rescues and were well meaning in intending to give the dogs a good home.

The Rescue Shelters are absolutely full of Staffy crosses, Amstaff and Mastiff and Bull Mastiff crosses and Bull Arab dogs .  All looking for homes.

It’s easy to slip up over time even with a tight regiment, owners making sure the other has locked the gate for instance and then one day miscommunication and they both thought the other had, or they were just going out quickly and it didn’t cross their mind. Not saying that’s what happened here, but if you do need to manage your dogs in a certain way like that then at some point you’re going to make a stupid mistake. The fact that they usually locked that second gate makes me think it was a mistake and not on purpose. 

I know of people who don’t have a second fence and their dogs just are at the front, they aren’t allowed to lock the gate as per council law so that meter readers can get in there. It’s a no win situation. Some people don’t know that their dog is capable or being next level protective when they aren’t home. It is carelessness but not necessarily anything more than a tragic mistake. 

The meter reader was used to going in there with the dogs locked behind another gate, I assume he didn’t see them so went in and then they charged out of nowhere. But perhaps he did see them, thought he knew them and went in and for some reason one turned and it progressed. I think that’s probably unlikely though given the severity of the attack. 

So what is the answer? Make guard dogs capable of doing this illegal? Pull up the companies who on paper tell the meter readers that they aren’t to go into a premises with a dog at the front but then write them up for not meeting their quotas etc? Make sure that the front gate is locked when dog is out there and then get a note from your council saying that’s not allowed? Which is it? There’s so much miscommunication. I’m surprised something like this hasn’t happened before. I’ve read they have many close calls and bites though. 

I don’t know the answers. I know even my retrievers would bark at anyone strange coming in (though they don’t have access to the front yard), but that they’d never make contact. And even though a known ‘dangerous breed’ may attack, not all would. So is it fair to just ban them all? I don’t know. 

It’s a horrible thing that has happened and work safe is investigating and something will come from it. I don’t know what will solve this and prevent future attacks. It’s a frustrating difficult situation. 

The owners of such dogs should contact the Utility Companies concerned and ask to be informed what date they will need access to the property to read the meter so they can lock their dogs away or put them inside the house.

The Energy Company or any Company that reads the meter should inform such properties in writing when their contractor will need to enter the property.

I can remember receiving such letters requesting access when I kept my front gate locked for safety reasons.  That was prior to privatisation of our Utilities.

In any case most contractors when they can't get access or are worried about dogs usually do an average reading for that property.

7 hours ago, Deeds said:

The owners of such dogs should contact the Utility Companies concerned and ask to be informed what date they will need access to the property to read the meter so they can lock their dogs away or put them inside the house.

The Energy Company or any Company that reads the meter should inform such properties in writing when their contractor will need to enter the property.

I can remember receiving such letters requesting access when I kept my front gate locked for safety reasons.  That was prior to privatisation of our Utilities.

In any case most contractors when they can't get access or are worried about dogs usually do an average reading for that property.

They do Deeds, I filled out an Energex on-line form that is easily accessible on-line, they say that they contact you when the meter reader is coming

https://www.energex.com.au/home/our-services/meters/meter-read-alerts-for-dog-owners

756763238_Screenshotfrom2022-12-0604-58-22.thumb.png.16091d8b38e283493d69f89e86d5b637.png

But, when I was contacted the email said tomorrow but the meter-reader came that day, I also received a text but it was on the day following the reading

So maybe the property owners had a much-the-same notification, who knows, here's the email (I removed my details)

image.thumb.png.5b7c4dabf414756bd22866820af47328.png

Hello,

We are scheduled to read your meter tomorrow in xxxxxx

For safety reasons our crews will not enter the property if there are unrestrained dogs. Please ensure that dogs are properly restrained and separated from any work area: either kept indoors, on a firm leash or behind a secure barrier.

For more information about our Safe Entry policy visit energex.com.au/safeentry.

If we are unable to read your meter tomorrow due to unforeseen circumstances, we will send you an updated notification.

Regards,
Energex

• Like 1

I think this process is going to need to be much stricter after this. Meters that can be read without entering the dogs turf would be ideal but not always possible. Alternatively a text to technician from owners advising all safety measures have been taken for the visit. If not they get an estimate read. There is too much at stake for humans AND dogs to not lessen the risk now.

First time ever at my house I was expecting a gas delivery when noone was home. Had to lock the dogs in (summer so not ideal) and leave the side gate unlocked. Even left a note on my front door for the gas guy so he'd know. If I had text to technician option I would've felt safer sharing that info. There's got to be a better and safer way.

I guess I’m lucky. This house has been fitted with what they call a demand metre. The demand part is the way we use/get charged for the power we use but the readings are all done by Bluetooth. No more metre readings in person. All done from the office apparently. Molly would never be a problem and also at present she is left inside when we go out but at least we don’t need to worry that she’d bark or even run out the gate if it didn’t get closed properly. We were told all houses will eventually be fitted with these metres but hey maybe if people are concerned about their dogs they could look into this. Much safer option I feel. Even if it does cost a few dollars I think I’d rather spend that than worry about “what if my guard dog seriously attacked someone.”

• Like 1

I read that they did have the notification set up so why then were they not home and why did they leave their dogs out when normally they would lock them behind a second gate? I think something like they have been told it will be on this date and then they come on a different date. Apparently meter readers often go ahead so that they get more done and get their companies off their backs. 

Poor guy especially with him being a dog lover but I was thinking the same thing as Anne and with three dogs together they will likely behave differently than if it was one on its own, it’s a horrific situation but there was probably human error by both him and the dogs owners, while I don’t believe my dogs would attack anyone like this there’s been a couple of times when I’ve left my three bigger girls in the car for whatever reason with the windows down enough for them to get fresh air but not stick their heads out, I’ve heard commotion and come to find someone trying to pat them through the window while they’re  going crazy, one of them would be completely fine but the other two I wouldn’t trust not to bite in this situation, I would be devastated if myself and dogs got in trouble for someone else doing something so stupid, I know it’s a bit different to dogs killing a person but a dog only has to bite a main artery to have serious consequences.

• Like 1

Yes and if just one starts acting aggressive it can ‘excite’ and switch the others onto it too. There are so many variables to know how to prevent this going forward. It seems laws/policies etc are already in place but there is miscommunication or people and companies being irresponsible still. 

I have one dog who does the bail up. Only a retriever but still very ‘scary’ to someone who doesn’t know dogs as I’ve witnessed a few times when I’ve had different family members who aren’t into dogs visit. They ignored what I would tell them and thought they could just walk right in and not care to even say hi to the dog. So dog barked deeply, not aggressive though as in no growling, and kept them at bay unable to get past. But I doubt they’d ever make contact. However given certain circumstances all dogs are probably capable of attacking, just many aren’t as capable or as quick to full on attack and not stop. 

fact is just two dogs can egg each other on into the pack mentality.

with entirely greater attack results.

although I remember seeing a neighbours pack of pig dogs come after and hold one of his pigs when it escaped from his place and came into mine.

they surrounded it snapping and snarling at it   and the two leaders grabbed an ear each and held it till he came and trussed it up and into his ute. none of the other dogs piled in to tear it to bits 

That is horrific and I think certain breeds are more prone to doing things in a pack like that than others. We’ll never know for sure but I imagine one dog on its own is not goign to be doing that sort of aggressive behaviour, at least not to that level, not in the circumstance that has happened. Why these people had multiple dogs that had potential to do this, which they knew to some degree did as they had put them on the warning lists to meter readers, I don’t know. Why do they want more than just the one dog with that power behind them? Or were they rescue dogs and the people just really love rescuing them? Who knows. But packs of dogs, of just two or more are something else. 

Even small terriers, some are terrier enough to go after anything and everything small but others only do that stuff in packs and are much more successful.