Pet insurance - who are the best ?

It really depends on the breed & whether they want basic cover to premium etc etc.
I have a friend with giant breeds & they use Woolworths & i can tell you they have had there monies worth from them.
It really just comes down to the whats & then picking .
Most have the same underwriter 

Should ad this is the first time i have ever opted for pet insurance very multi dog household & its never been a need for us & realistically still isnt but with prices of so many things going up & a large breed puppy we are using it especially for the first 15 months/2 years & after going through all sorts of choices ,looking at covers ,total amount etc etc i went with Woolworths too 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I carry my own insurance.  I worked out 4 years ago when I got my new pup, what the minimum monthly premium would be for two border collies & have been putting that away in a special account ever since.  One of my dogs is now elderly & probably wouldn't be able to be insured anyway, but I keep putting away each month into the account.  Even with deductions I have accumulated over $4000 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2023 at 10:54 AM, sheena said:

I carry my own insurance.  I worked out 4 years ago when I got my new pup, what the minimum monthly premium would be for two border collies & have been putting that away in a special account ever since.  One of my dogs is now elderly & probably wouldn't be able to be insured anyway, but I keep putting away each month into the account.  Even with deductions I have accumulated over $4000 

That is a great idea Sheena. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2023 at 7:54 AM, sheena said:

Great idea but sadly in this day & age it doesnt cover much depending on the issue .
The current cover i have on  my puppy gives me $30 000 cover per year ,8000 for hip/joint surgery etc for just over $700 a year .
We get breeder discount at our vet & they are independent clinic with awesome prices but even for them they had to rise prices & most vets arent after hr clinics anymore so you have to go to an emergency vet 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My best advice is to read reviews on product review, trust pilot etc. Most of the time the positive reviews are stuff like "The policy was so easy to take out", but the real truth is in the lower rated reviews for people who were unable to claim on insurance.

Just wrote about my previous dog who had lymphoma as we weren't insured back then. Basically it meant we couldn't afford chemo, but in hindsight we still did the best for him and glad we didn't put him through chemo. So there's that mindset as well. (More info on this post - 

We have Bow Wow insurance for our collie who we're really happy with. Actually took the advice from the pet food review website - https://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/pet-insurance-in-australia/#6-bow-wow-meow

We've had it for about 4 years now and they've been really good. We pay monthly and don't even notice the amount coming out (about $20!??). We wanted to be covered in case our nutty collie got injured. Our friend's collie had an accident with a door and another accident with a stick in the space of the last 12 months, and it's cost them $$$$s without insurance :/

• Thanks 1