Temperament: Sense of Humour

sandgrubber

To me, a dog's temperament is at least as important as appearance and health.  And to me, a sense of humour is a key aspect of temperament.   Clownishness and a relaxed and tolerant enjoyment of whatever happens make for a dog that's a joy to live with.   Stiffness and reactivity, less so.

I almost never see this trait discussed, but most people who have owned many dogs can say which dog had a sense of humour and which were more serious. 

Just curious to know whether I'm alone in this, or whether others have like views,  and whether anyone has set out to breed for this trait.

• Like 1

I love a dog with a sense of humour! Some really do seem to have one, my boy is such a one and it is just completely charming. I didn't breed him myself but I really hope some of his pups have the same attitude. My girl is a sweetheart, she's funny in a sweet way and makes me chuckle - but the boy makes me laugh out loud. The girl is the HAPPIEST dog I have ever met - if her eyes are open her tail is wagging, he is not like that, very friendly and all but has more going on up in his head and is definitely comical and plays for laughs!

• Like 1

Hailey and Apollo have a definite sense of humour. They will play with the smallest stick or leave, play zoomies, do funny things to make you laugh and continue once you do. This makes training them in tricks so easy.

Zeph, Apollo's great uncle was a serious dog, always a thinker and calculated in his actions. Loved people, so tolerated dressing up for things like nursing home visits or the dog lovers show, but sill serious. 

So yes, dogs definitely have a sense of humour :love:

• Like 2

I agree some have a sense of humour. Molly is a very comical little girl. She can act like a clown, and frequently does, but also has a serious side to her. Her mother, Zena though was the one with the biggest sense of humour. She would do funny things every day to make us laugh. And she could definitely grin and this would show even if I said something funny to her. Very un-  dog like. :laugh: 

• Like 2

It is funny to watch a  dog who enjoys itself  ,  my current dog ,  looks cute but really has the personality of a dead fish  , and he's getting worse has he gets older , he je's very intellegent , but really just waked up goes to his food bowl  eats and goes back to bed ,  when we settle down for the day or night he wakes up , jumps on  someones lap and goes to sleep again ,  , it is funny when  we watch him and count how long  from jumping on your knee to snoring  so loud you have to turn the tv up , on average about 20 seconds we have counted has low has 10  thats his record .  Love him but really  i say  we should of just got a noddy dog that goes in the back of a car .

Previous dog a Rotty , great dog  freindly  with everyone who came while we were there and introduced them , only though when they were introduced by familly , outside you could approach him , but on his home turf he was very very protective . , very very intense always in gaurd mode  , and could go from   0  - 100 in seconds ,   he had no patence    could be very reactive , and people  would get licks   if he was intoduced to them  , but were never ever allowe to play with him ,    i simply did'nt trust him not to go into reactive mode  at unpredictable speed ,,   suppose you could say he was more of a guard dog than  a social  dog , so i had to treat him accordingly  ,  great dog but   you just had to watch very careful when strangers were about .

Now my mates got a german wire haired pointer ,,   thats one funny dog , he's big ,  but  you look around and he's stood on the  kitchen table , what for , who knows just decides to jump on there ,  , you look around ,  and he's behind the curtain jumped on the window ledge and  keeps falling off he's too big ,    go outside and you watch this dog just zooming around and around and around , , its full of energy  and will not stop playing , climbs the kiddys slide and slides down  playing on his own ,      see's something he does'nt like 100 mph he's off   goes hides under there bed ,   until he decides he wants to come out  , will not drink out of his fresh water bowl ,   its the constant supply he goes to  , the toilet , ,   give him premium steak ,Naaw   he won't touch it , finds a dead bird devours it , funniest dog i've ever seen   ,  and a great companion and freind  ,  funny dogs are perfect .

Edited by coneye
  • Like 1

My breed is known for its sense of humour among those who own them. They seem to understand what is funny and how to make people laugh, and they switch from elegant and graceful to goofy clowns in a nano second. But they tend to keep it for their family, most I have owned don’t muck around in public or with strangers. Like their big toothy front-teeth flashing grins, jokes are for friends. 

• Like 1

Definitely sense of humour :laugh: OMG. So funny. I'm absolutely sure I'm not imagining things.

And a great way of saying they are p*ssed off with you. Silkies do the 'cold shoulder'. Are other breeds here great at shunning? 

They all definitely communicate with us. 

Powerlegs, yes I  agree some do let you know when you’ve annoyed them. One of Mollys sisters was a great one for that. A very moody miss. And one of Mollys sons is a great dog for getting back at you if you’ve p*ssed him off. The times I’ve dog sat him and  not let him have his way and yes pay back always came my way. Whether it be a hole dug where it shouldn’t, beds ripped apart ( and definitely not because of boredom) to even as bad as it was, pooping on my lounge. And I’m talking about a dog that was definitely toilet trained and knew how to use a dog door. He’s a bugger of an animal but such a loveable affectionate guy just the same. It did take a while I admit but I’ve got him sorted now and there is no more retaliation. But all animals in my opinion have such vast characteristics and definitely can communicate with us.If we actually listen to them. 

• Haha 1