I’ve purchase a deaf puppy, what now ?

Deb2023

You had better research "same sex aggression". Bitches who don't get on must be separated for life, or risk serious injury or even death. 

From Behavior Problems of the Dog and Cat G. Landsberg, W. Hunthausen, L. Ackerman :

"prognosis is guarded to fair"

"female-female agression is ...more difficult to resolve than male-male aggression."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mairead said:

female-female agression is ...more difficult to resolve than male-male aggression."

When it happens it's bad.  Bull terriers of all types are more prone to dog aggression than other dogs.  On the other hand, YES, a companion is great for a deaf dog.  Maybe you can find an older SBT or AmStaff or the like needing rehoming or rescue, on terms where you can return the dog if the two don't get along.

• Like 3

Agree with the others . perhaps a boy would be a safer choice- or an older dog ? Two young bitches may indeed fight to the death over who's boss, or jealousy. Bitches can get along, but that situation is usually older dogs, and pups growing up with no doubt as to who is top dog . We have bitches, and dogs . The dogs fight every so often - brief, and then friends again . Our oldest girl (14) is still the boss, but the next oldest girl is always chivvying her , trying her out . 

• Like 2

Have to agree i wouldnt be looking at a female especially when your expectations are for it to be its ears ,confidience & getting along for life is a big reason for getting the second dog so i would be very much looking at a male & the personality you want it to role model & give this pup .

Have you had the BAER test yet ?

Yes plenty of bitches live happily together plenty more dont .
In near 4o plus years of multi dogs we have only had one drama & 2 girls who where best friends until one night & no way in hell where they getting over it & a breed that never has those issues .Just 2 girls in cow mode & for ever seperated .

Also be mindful that some dogs also dont gel with dogs with issues .So finding the right soul to be group leader is worth the wait & not the rush 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

Yes agree sorry to say, but quite possible another female will challenge when it starts to mature. Can happen in any breed. 
and they don’t really sort it out quickly and resolve it like males.

you have to separate them and then both just wait to pick up where they left of at first opportunity. Just never ends.

seems a few people have seen this.

a neutered male and they will bond closely for life. She’ll be the boss but will tolerate everything unless it’s a raw bone or something really important. 99% of the time she will put up with a lot. 

• Like 3

On 19/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Mairead said:

You had better research "same sex aggression". Bitches who don't get on must be separated for life, or risk serious injury or even death. 

From Behavior Problems of the Dog and Cat G. Landsberg, W. Hunthausen, L. Ackerman :

"prognosis is guarded to fair"

"female-female agression is ...more difficult to resolve than male-male aggression."

Thanks for your comment/advice, I totally understand about female-female aggression and the male-male aggression and it’s definitely something for me to consider with the Amstaff breed. I’ve owned Rottweilers all my life up until my first Amstaff 10+yrs ago and a couple of times with the Rottweilers I had 2 bitches at the same time,  they were raised together from young, ALWAYS in separate yards when any sort of food was given and training always started from day dot. Being such big strong dogs I knew the damage they could do to each other if things ever turned bad, maybe I’ve just been lucky to never have an issue having 2 bitches live together but it is definitely something for me to put more thought into considering Lexa being deaf and taking the Amstaff breed on there own merits as each breed is different just because it worked well with my Rottweilers it doesn’t mean it will with 2 Amstaffs.  Thanks again 

• Like 2

I never had a problem with 2 female GSD's together but they were all hearing dogs and could hear my growl if things were getting a bit wild, which stopped them in their tracks. So something to consider that your deaf dog won't hearing your warning to cut it out. 

• Like 2