Labradors Pup

Dazalenco

Hi All

please help

i am about to buy a lab pup

unfortunately I will be at work when the pup is 8 weeks old

my parents who I live with who will have the pup while I’m at work could pick it up

but I want to pick the pup up and have a week with her before I go back to work

so the pup will be 10 weeks old before I can pick her up

do you think this a bad idea and bad for the pup going forward with training and bonding

Thanks

First off make sure the breeder is happy to agree to this .
Personally i wouldnt worry about the week off infact we encourage our buyers to keep the routine as to what it will be in the future so if your going to stay home for the week dont fuss so much that its world is turned upside down when you go back to work .
10 weeks isnt a problem but that 8/10 weeks needs to have some skills being taught so depends what the breeder will do if holding it longer 

• Like 4

happy times ahead :)
 me - I wouldn't take time off - pup needs to get used to your everyday routine ASAP :) Spending a week being with puppy will then cause him/her to suddenly wonder what happened when he/she is left alone :( TWO big changes in a week or so is a lot with which to deal . Just have a timetable worked out - make sure you have EVERYTHING needed, and stick to your normal routine :)Pup will adjust accordingly . 

• Like 3

I' bought a couple of dogs where the breeder would'nt let them go till 10 weeks , them breeders were adamant  it may be ok for 8 weeks with small dogs but big dogs must be 10 weeks ,  and both them dogs were house trained when i picked them up ,   both  had there whelping box inside like a big garden shed ,  with access to a grassed  run ,   both breeders said they follow mum out  to  do there buisness and thats what trained them , ,

• Like 1