Rawhide

Guest Tess32

Have heard that they can be inhaled or swallowed and get caught in the throat or swell in the stomach. Never fed them and never will not because of any health risks but why not just feed the real thing? Bones=delicious and nutritious!

Rawhide is the only thing that's getting me through teething ATM.

Olly gets both bones and rawhide, most in here will tell you it's a no no but I've never had issues with it and all my three chew it. In fact Olly is carrying around a particularly dirty piece ATM that's starting to get floppy :laugh:

Don't feed chicken ... the bones will splinter

Don't feed kibble ... it's not healthy

Don't feed pork ... it has bacteria

Don't feed bones ... your dog will choke

Don't feed mince ... dogs need to eat bones

Don't feed vegetables ... dogs are carnivores

Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't!!!!!

If we listen to everything that is said our dogs would never eat. It is up to you to make the responsible decisions for your dog. If you try rawhide and your dog has no problems, then go for it. If your dog tries to swallow it whole, then perhaps you should avoid it.

I give Dieter pig ears and raw hide - used to be every night when he was a teething (although he'd take a week to get through a pig ear when he was really little) - now it's really slacked off to about once a fortnight - I'll probably buy some tomorrow.

He has had a little choking problem and he now sometimes has to cough it back up so I make sure he eats them when I'm around. It is the treat we hide around the house that he searches for and then does a little victory lap.

It is a personal choice to feed rawhide, I dont...but mine is from a learning curve when Chief was a puppy, we had a piece get stuck & had a 9.oopm visit to the vets :laugh:

If you do feed it then PLEASE dont leave your dog unsupervised with it, choking is a big risk factor..

But they are not as digestible as the natural alternative - NATURAL RAW BONES...

Jacqui

Guest Tess32

What I have read is that the ones manafactured in certain countries are basically full of crappy stuff including arsenic.

I've also read that it can cause problems over time because it's not digestable so issues don't show up straight away.

I don't really what's true, but I also know you can't always tell what's good for your dog just by observing them.

Nat

Hi Nat,

I give my boy rawhide chews, he loves them. Bones are all very well but make a real mess on the carpet :laugh: I have never had a problem with them, with any of my 6 Collies over the years. I tend to go for the big rolled ones rather than the chips though.

Cheers,

Corine

Just today I purchased a pack of rawhide strips about 10cm long and 2.5 cm wide , chicken flavoured from Coles, they also have beef ones.

now I always watch my dog when she has any kind of treat or even when she eats her dinner and just as well that I did .

because she was quite hungry she quickly chewed on her rawhide strip, swallowing the last piece rather then chewing it all up , she was making a weezing sound so I turned and saw her gagging.

I was about to shove a few fingers down her throat to retrieve it when she coughed it up.

It was all sticky and to big to swallow but before I got the chance to pick it up she wolfed it down again , this time swallowing it ok.

The pack is in the bin , not taking the risk again :laugh:

I also checked out the rawhide sticks , they seems more chewable but they were made in China and I was worried about their contents , I think I'll stick to making doggy biscuits for treats.

Edited by Christina77

I buy bulk dryed pig ears and the rawhide bones when they are on sale at makro.

Have not had a problem with mine choking. Maybe cause I never have bought the flat strips.

Just because they are not digestable does not necessarily mean that they do not pass through the digestive tract. Chewing gum is not digestable...yet how many people out there eat chewing gum and swallow it... that would mean then that all those people would have full digestive tracts clogged up with chewing gum.

I have also bought dryed pig snouts. They are good for puppies/small dogs as they are not as large as pigs ears. I have also even cut the pigs ears in half to spread them out when I have had puppies chewing.

Too much bone also causes constipation, which is also not healthy.

Everything in moderation.

I never give rawhide anything anymore, I hate it.

We also advise all puppy owners against it as well. If they want something to chew, either a Nylabone, Chew N Kleen or a raw meaty bone.

In my experience with both our Bullies and Frenchies, they give it a quick chew then down the hatch it goes, or at least tries to, I have had too many chocking episodes to ever be comfortable feeding it again.

I'm told you can boil the rawhides - this softens them, so choking on them is less likely. ...... but then I wonder if that defeats the purpose of giving them to a dog to chew on. I guess that depends on whether you have a 'delicate' eater, or a vacuum cleaner like my girl! :thumbsup: