Fessing Up

I haven;t really made this known on the boards - probably because I am so far behind in my study at the moment but, I am studying Animal Naturopathy

I guess I want to gauge people's responses and see what you think of natural animal therapies. The course is brilliant - but hard! I am doing it via correspondence through ACNAM

Dru was the one who said I should spill the beans so now I have.... :thumbsup:

Not quite sure why I haven't told anyone except a few people.... I guess I thought people would think it was all hocus pocus

At the moment I am not qualified to give advice and other than an odd post here or there on something I have tried with success I don't give advice. I am just not that far enough into the course to feel comfortable giving out alternatives therapies. But I am very excited with what I am learning....

Well done! My Lucinda ( Mast cell Tumour grade 3) is totally holistically treated. She is doing exceptionally well ( knock wood) 32 months past diagnosis.

All my dogs get supplementary care from my holistic vet. I believ that it is a big plus.

My elderly girl: The Divine Miss Sophie is 11.5 yo great dane x irish wolfhound. She has alway had severe problems with her rear legs. Holistic therapy plus some conventional therapies have kept her in good form until just recently

:thumbsup: OOOH Slowone, thats EXACTLY the course I've been wanting to do, I've decided to do a few of the certificate courses first, as the cost is prohibitive. They seem to be a quality college, how are you finding the study materials, do you think its worth the $$'s? Their website was very informative.

I'm a qualified vet nurse, and use quite a lot of holistic medicine at home. (I did quite a lot of a human naturopathy course many years ago.)

I hope you really enjoy it, learn heaps, and share your knowledge here!!

fifi

Hocus Pocus? No way! Good on you! I have a dog who exhibits severe sensitivity to ear cleaner (alchohol base or oil base). I use white vinegar (diluted) to clean her ears instead (although I don't like to actually put the solution in her ears - I can't see what's going on there and fear ear drum damage - I just saturate cotton balls and wipe around where I can, as far as I safely can). I think there is a place for natural remedies.

The NDTF course even has a section on natural remedies/medicines for dogs.

I think anyone shutting their eyes to any methods, be it training and/or medical related, are really losing out on knowledge that can be very useful in certain circumstances, for certain dogs.

After all, it's all about 'what works for the dog' and 'what is best for the dog' (IMO!)

So go for it slowone and don't let anyone hold you back!

Actually, I wouldn't mind doing a massage therapy course (I started one - distance learning - with Australian School of Petcare Studies, but I'm not impressed and I would like to pick one up in a 'hands on' environment. Wouldn't mind doing Bowen Therapy either .... just need to find the time and the money!)

So :thumbsup: to you, slowone!

Oops - edited spelling!

Edited by Erny

Fifi the course is realy really good. They have just put their prices up though so it is now quite expensive

The materials come bound togethor and then you also get sent texts with your materials. I am on module two at the moment and got the Merck Vet Manual and some great Aanatomy texts. I am stuck on my second assignment and procrastinating though..... Cell biology is hard!!! But if you are a vet nurse you would breeze through

The students have a discussion forum and some of the people who have been doing it for a while are amazing at what they know

:thumbsup: Thanks slowone, I dont know about 'breezing through' cell biology !!

its really inspiring that you are doing the full course, is it a degree or diploma?

I will just do a cert course or two for a while, then really want to get more into the physical therapies too, as Erny mentioned, and I agree - they really need to be learnt hands on.

fifi

What do I feel about Natural Animal Therapies... I think it is the way of the now and the future :thumbsup: hocus pocus me thinks not ..

Hang in there Slowone, you will be needed to help out the Fur kids.

Good luck with your course :rofl:

Good on you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have used homeopathy, acupuncture, herbs, flower essences, nutrition (including vitamin C saturation) etc. very successfully for more than 20 years, both for animals and humans.

Lately we even "went as far as" cranio-sacral therapy (after everything, including all allopathics failed!), and you guessed it: Bingo! :rofl:

I wish you only the very best. :thumbsup:

Edited by cate

Thanks everyone - Ok Dru so you were right *sheepish look*

Fifi - I am doing th Diploma of Natural Animal Care which will qualify me to practice as an animal naturopath. I am kicking myself for not enrolling in the Diploma of Veterinary Naturopathy because the prices have doubled since I enrolled.....

I breezed through module one and got 100% an did really well for assignment one of module two but for months I have been stuck on cell biology.... I am hoping to get it finished this weekend as I am so keen to move on to the next topic. A lot of vet nurses are studying from all over the world and they seem to find it easier than people like me who have no science background. We even have a girl who is studying her veterinary degree and naturopathy at the same time!

it;s nice to hear everyone's postive experiences with alternative therapies. I know that I use them on my dogs and the fosters with great success

Hope you do really well with the rest of the course slowone! we are all behind you, good thing you 'fessed up' eh?

:thumbsup: OMYGOODNESS! you are right about the price rise! I looked at enrolling at the end of 2004, started to seriously think about it at the begining of 2005, and just looked again at the fees :rofl: they have more than doubled since the begining of the year. Oh well, off to buy that lotto ticket!!

fifi

Feel free to email or PM of you want more details. The management of the college recently changed.... so did the fees....

If it makes you feel any better about the fees they do make you learn a lot! There is a lot I could say but better in private...

There is nothing wrong with natural therapies. There are a lot of us who use them for our animals as well as for ourselves. Good for you slowone.

BTW, even the University of Qld Vet School is starting to develop courses in more wholistic based medicine now although I think you have to be a vet to do them - haven't looked at the info in a while. Couldn't be soon enough IMO.