Coat Condition

Hey I was wondering how does everyone here keep their dogs coat nice and glossy, I heard that raw eggs and olive oil are good ideas but i thought I ask some experts! So what do you think :thumbsup:

Hey I was wondering how does everyone here keep their dogs coat nice and glossy, I heard that raw eggs and olive oil are good ideas but i thought I ask some experts! So what do you think ? :thumbsup:

I feed my two sardines in oil, and thier coats are exceedingly glossy. I call them my Pantene dogs!!! :thumbsup:

I don't know if the raw eggs contribute to the glossiness, but I feed them that a couple of times a week too.

I groom my boy often - a brush every day and a GOOD brush at least every second day (takes about 15 mins with the way he looks at the moment :thumbsup: ), also give him sardins, tuna, mackeral (he loves it) usually in oil or in springwater. Yeah, not sure about the eggs but he gets one every now and again :rofl: I also dont bath him often at all.. actually cant remember the last time he was bathed :rofl:

Edited by katetk

Yes, sardines, mackerel, tuna are all excellent and the occasional raw egg doesn't hurt either. I also give mine avocado if I happen to be eating one, they contain a lot of good fats and my dogs (all except one) love it. Don't give too much though, it can make the poo a bit soft if they OD on it!

Anything with your Omegas 3, and 6 in it will certainly help with gloss and condition of hair. So all the stuff everyone mentioned here so far, eggs, oily fish and fish oil and apparently chicken necks and wings and the like are also good for Omegas too.

just be aware of the size of your dog when considering giving just oil on top of their usual diet though because of risks with their pancreas being able to process oils and fats. so if someone recommends a particular dose - just check for what size dog they are suggesting it for first! like Lily111 has suggested above - it goes on dosage per body weight of the dog.

Anything with your Omegas 3, and 6 in it will certainly help with gloss and condition of hair. So all the stuff everyone mentioned here so far, eggs, oily fish and fish oil and apparently chicken necks and wings and the like are also good for Omegas too.

You need to supplement with Vitamin E if you are going to give these things or the fats will go rancid in the dogs body.

Someone (can't remember) on another thread (can't remember that either) talked about a study that was done giving supplaments to improve coat condition. Apparently condition improved to a point but then retutrned to it's origional condition. Sorry I can't give you specifics, hopefully somone can provide the details?

Hate to be a wet blanket here but I hope you all know that you shouldn't feed dogs raw egg white?? Dogs cannot digest the proteins in egg white which destroy biotin. Cooked are ok, or just the raw yolks but egg white itself is a no-no.

On the subject of coats, my old mentor used to say that good coats are BrED for, fED for and carED for!

Edited by ellz

If you feed the entire egg it's ok ie, white and yolk.

Um, actually it's only ok if the egg is cooked. Raw egg white in ANY quantity can be very bad. (One of the reasons egg white is often given as a way of making dogs vomit after having ingested poison or foreign bodies)

It's fine to crack an egg, separate the yolk and throw the yolk AND the shell into the bowl (if your dog is happy to crunch at it anyway) but one of the first things I was told 20 years ago now is that raw egg white is a no-no even with the yolk!

Edited by ellz

but one of the first things I was told 20 years ago now is that raw egg white is a no-no even with the yolk!

Maybe things have moved on a bit, now Ellz .... with more recent studies, I think we've come to realise alot of things about dog diets that we didn't know before.

Generations of dogs (wild and domesticated) have eaten raw egg whites, along with the yolks, when they rob them from nests (eg. ground birds).

However, my understanding of it is that egg whites have an enzyme inhibitor, which can make it difficult for a young pup, or old, or sick dog (eg. pancreatic probs) to digest.

Also, egg whites contain Avidin, something that binds with the vitamin biotin (something to do with the VB complex), and this makes it unavailable to your dog. But this shouldn't be a problem if the remainder of the dog's diet contains sufficient quantity of biotin. Even the egg yolks themselves contain a good amount of biotin.

So, except in cases where you're dog cannot tolerate it, whole eggs, yolk, whites (and yes, shells) are great for your dog.

Edited by Erny

Interesting, thanks Erny....interestingly though...since posting I've been googling a heap of websites on the subject and the majority actually endorse what I have always been led to believe, times a-changing or not.

I do stand corrected if I am wrong....but I will continue to recommend that my puppy people not overdo the raw egg white ... oh... and duck when I suggest to my vets (and I see a few for different things, some for vaccinations, some for surgeries etc etc) that they all go back to vet school to correct what they've told me!! :)

Good coats = a healthy balanced diet, 1 rebound tablet a day, regular brushing, bathing in a quality shampoo, lots of excerise.

I also believe that my dogs are happy and have plenty of attention and this overall well being is reflected in their coat condition. :)

I also believe that my dogs are happy and have plenty of attention and this overall well being is reflected in their coat condition.

Yep, that's what my mentor meant by brED for, fED for and carED for! :):mad

In all honesty, think about it in "human" terms. When you feel good, you look good as well!!!

And don't Staffords STRUT when they feel good and KNOW that they're the antz pantz? :(

recommend that my puppy people not overdo the raw egg white ...

I think "OVERDO" is the right word, Ellz. But as they say .... "everything in moderation". :mad

Sources for my info come from Dr. Ian Billinghurst's "Give your Dog a Bone" and Dr. Pitcairn's "Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats", both of which, coincidentally, are recommended readings by the "Barf" diet crowd.

Hhhmmm, what's that I see in the distance? Vets ducking ????? :):(