Hot Spots

I don't think that there is anything to establish that certain breeds are more prone to them...but my own anecdotal evidence indicates to me that it would seem that dogs which have a double coat are probably more prone.

For treatment....have had super results with Preparation H (or any of the treatments for haemorrhoids). They have an antiseptic effect as well as anaesthetic effect which helps to stop the scratching.

Other people recommend Listerine and other products.

I have also found that since putting Apple Cider Vinegar in all drinking buckets I have not had a hot spot problem.

Usually allergies (flea/grass etc) trigger the spot, causes a lesion then the dogs scratch and lick at it which may lead to infections. Ive found that they usually crop up in warm areas , neck folds, behind ears etc).

Labs and GR's are supposedly more prone, Rotties seem to be prone too.

Edited by Dru

allergies seem to be the main cause. I had a dog who was very prone to hot spots, but a change to a natural diet resulted in none ever again for the rest of her life.

Stress and a lowering of the immune system caused by other illnesses/infections may bring them on occasionally too, I think. Basically they are a sign that the immune system is under stress. The skin is the weakest point, so often problems manifest themselves there as the body tries to work things out of the system.

Keeping the area well aerated (and shaving it if possible) and washing regularly with diluted vinegar seems to work as well as anything else I have ever tried as a treatment, and better than most.

My little fella has a couple of hot sopts atm right on the top of his head.

The vet said it was a mixture of his double coat and the recent wet weather. Which doesn't suprise me as he likes sitting in the rain!

We are using "Dermcare Malased" put on twice a week, leave for 10 mins and then wash off. You can use it as any every day shampoo as well... but at 25 bucks a bottle I think I will use cheaper alt.

Kat

We are using "Dermcare Malased" put on twice a week, leave for 10 mins and then wash off. You can use it as any every day shampoo as well... but at 25 bucks a bottle I think I will use cheaper alt.

Kat

The Malaseb is just about the best stuff you can use for hot spots so worth every cent :rofl::rofl: I wouldnt use it as an everyday shampoo, it does get a bit too drying with overuse.

The dog I am caring for at the moment has this pink oil stuff to go on top of the actual sores, and neocort to go on the shaved area, as well as tablets twice a day - not sure if the tablets are for the hot spots or not.

He does have lots of skin problems (not to mention weight problems) so the allergy makes sense

My Rotti x Lab tends to get hot spots on a regular basis...sometimes he'll go weeks and weeks without one and then one will pop up out of nowhere. But to get rid of them i clip the spot and will use saline and ACV and they are gone within a matter of days, then it's just a matter of the fur growing back..lol.

One of the last ones he had took over his entire cheek but i think that was started by the two dogs having a bit of rough play, he got a scratch/something, and it went from there.

The lab i had when i was a kid also had problems with hotspots and the vets gave us this fluoro yellow cream to use....the spots used to take a lot longer to heal with that stuff then Harm's do now with the ACV or saline.

ETA - he has had a few changes of diet and the frequency of hot spots hasn't changed.

Edited by KitKat

Pugs are also candidates for hotspots. One of my boys gets them on the odd occassion but usually only in the warm sticky months of the year.

His are caused purely by the the heat and humidity. He gets them in the folds around his neck. They take ages to settle again and for the hair to grow back after treatment.

Edited by Puggles

Ralphy has 2 at the moment. 1 on his neck and 1 on his back.

He was prescribed Neocort (sp?) cream to apply twice daily as well as wiping them down with warm salty water or a swim at the beach.

His is due to an allergy, so we are on an elimintation diet at the moment to find the triggers.

It's funny. because when i moved from Syd to Melb i started to get really itchy, and i broke out in ONE exhema spot...this one spot moved around to different parts of my body. :rofl:

I too had developed an alergy, to a grass mix here in Melb.

Like mother like dog.

Have you noticed how ruthless vets are in shaving around hot spots? No wonder the hair takes ages to grow back!

The item I swear by is called Dermacool and comes in a spray bottle. It apparently anesthetises the skin while helping it heal. I trim the hair of the hotspot right to the skin and spray Dermacool. Usually I can see healed skin by the next day.

It's also a lot cheaper than going to the vet each time for something you can sort out fairly quickly.

I have found with GSD's it mainly bought about by allergies and mine get hotspots when fed certain foods and will have a flair up within 24 hours and the hotspot to die, within 24 hours of the food not being fed.

Fleas and enviroment are another cause.

Hot spots, like the eyes is a great indication of how well the dog is on the inside.

Some goldies are proned to them and I think depending where you live, eg the heat etc.

I have used Alpha Kerry Oil for the last 18 years, it is fantastic you only need a little on the spot. And there is no need to trim any of the hair. In a couple of days the scab just lifts off the skin

Poor Ralphy copped the clippers last night that were as old as dinosaurs!

At least Ralphy has a short coat - try it on a German Shepherd coat - you can see the patch for miles!

RM - Who is Charlie-Chuckles ?

Charlie Chuckles is a Labby currently in foster care with Rozzie. We have adopted him and are waiting for his arrival in a week or two :rofl:

Hi we have had excellent results using Tinea Spray Powder. This has worked well on our Saint when he has had them caused by licking, wet dry wet dry. Potatoe products and probably many more can cause them too. But we have found that by treating it like tinea and using the spray powder we get good results with minimal hair loss which is handy when you are showing.

Hope this helps Chris

We havent yet had the chance to introduce the 2 of them yet, as we are in melbourne and charlie is in Mudgee NSW, so their first introduction will be when charlie arrives.

They may have to share the couch for now..LOL

RM (sorry for the topic change!) - how old is Charlie? How old is Ralphy? I wonder what your garden is going to look like with 2 labs tearing through it! I hope the introductions go well - we were thinking getting a second dog was a mistake but a week later they decided to stop killing each other and get on!