How Much Does It Cost

I own 1 golden retriever and 1 pomeranian cross chihuahua and they get feed dry dog food twice a week and raw meat the rest.They get bones everyday or every second day.They also get chicken carsses once in a while.All this costs me $30 every 2 weeks.I buy the beef bones and raw meat from the butchers and i buy the dry dog food from the supermarket along with the chicken carsses.My dogs are spoilt rotten Einstein also gets a new toy once a month.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Lenards Chicken shop.

I get my chicken pet mince for $6.50 for 10kgs. Just ask them and they will have it ready for you.

Chicken necks vary from $1.99 - $2.45 kg. Much cheaper than supermarkets and if you ring ahead and ask for bulk, they can do a deal for you.

I too find that if I buy the family chicken supply from them in bulk, they help me with the dogs food.

All in all it costs me about $30.00 a month to feed my lot of 4 dogs. And that includes all the vegies for their BARF, which I make myself. They also get yoghurt, fish, scraps and supermarket bones which I can pick up for $3.50 a 5kg bag.

I often search the supermarket shelves and any specials they might have for a juicy bargin. Often they are throwing out things that havent sold for some time but are still good. (tins only). Just gotta know 'what would be good for my dogs'.

The only problem I have is finding my beef supplier in Bendigo. I use the Lansell butchers there (next to the Warehouse) and he can only supply mince beef for $10.00 for 2kg. He did offer their beef for dogs, but I find that too fatty. Does anybody know one in Bendigo?? Would be most appreciated.

25 chicken carceses- $5

5 Kilos chicken mince pet- $4

5 kilos beef mince pet - $4

Supermarket bag lamb bones -$2

2 marrow bones cut into 4- $3

WTF :)

Chicken carcass' here cost about $2 PER KG!!! Pet mince costs around $3-$4 plus per kg, marrow bones cost about $4 each... where do you live??? I think I'll move there!!! :)

I live in Sydney and I pay:

$4 for 10kg of carcasses from a chinese butcher.

$1.20/kg of pet chicken mince from a chicken shop in a Westfield shopping centre - can be found cheaper, but this is convienient for me.

$1.00/kg for lamb necks - chinese butcher again

off cust the same.

another chenese butcher sells lamb necks for $1 each (less than a kg each)

And the are all cut to the size I want!

$1.50 chicken necks - poultry wholesaler

$1.69 chicken wings - 3 shops at westfields sell them for that much.

1.70 per kg Turkey Mince + $4.00 for the veges - we cook a stew with rice and pasta added due to personal preference and it is what our dogs do best on.

They are on FP response due to allergies which is $28 permonth.

Total: $0.70 cents a day per dog.

Edited by catzatsea

I really don't know how much the boys cost us foodwise, I don't want to know and don't really care!

Their groceries are the same as ours, with the exception that we don't eat their kibble, and they don't use our deodorant :)

Their meals are as follows:

brekkie - kibble

lunch - BARF patty (usually frozen, slows them down a bit so they don't gobble, and keeps them cooler)

dinner - chicken wings for Indy and necks for Keg. These from Lenards @ $2.50/kg. Coles is $4.50/kg.

Once or twice a week a nice big bone to gnaw on.

The BARF patties (more like balls, but patties is sooo much more tasteful :) ) consist of mince, couple of egg yolks and shells, tinned mackerel/tuna/salmon, grated carrot, broccoli, zucchini, lettuce, bok choy, snow peas, apple, strawberries, squirt of honey, teasp garlic, teasp kelp powder, teasp baker's yeast.

I don't put in tomato, grapes, capsicum and of course onion. If we don't buy it for us, then they don't get it ie we're not real keen on bean sprouts, so we just don't buy it. Indy is now banned from cheese as his farts REEK afterwards!

The kibble to date has been Euk Puppy as it's easy to get and no dramas with it, but when at the vets on the weekend they gave us a free sample of Hills Science Puppy. There's a special on it with a $20 cash back, so we bought a bag of that. I'm a bit suss about it now as the blurb that came with it is really quite anti-BARF without mentioning BARF - ie don't feed raw meat or bones!!! Seems like a ploy to get you to buy their stuff and only their stuff. So once this bag is finished we'll go back to Euk on principle.

Roughly about $5.20 a week :) Thats just for BARF supplies

bones about umm errr $2 - $4 usually lamb necks, chicken necks, lamb flaps etc

some fish... say $2.00 -

do have a bag of kibble most of the time in cupboard not at the moment though *mental note should pick some up* but a bag of that would last me months as i don't use it often.

so about 11.00 or so a week.

Small dog, a Westie.

Diesel is an 11 month old, entire male Border Collie, can be very active although also a couch potato at times. Over a week (although I shop once a fortnight for him) he costs me approximately:

$2.50 for 4x large chicken wings

$3.00 for 3x large lamb shanks

$5.50 for about 700g of beef mince (human grade)

Plus a bit (probably two cups) of Supercoat Energy per day... which usually seems to last for about three weeks... so that's $3 a week for dry food.

He also gets any leftover vegetables (usually stuff like broccoli, carrot, peas, snow peas, beans, bok choy etc.) and sometimes Mum will spoil him and give him a bit of leftover roast (pork, chicken or beef - no bones though). He also gets food rewards during training which is usually devon, cheese or those Nature's Gift treats which all up would probably cost me $3 a week as well.

So all up... that's $17 per week for food, if you don't count how much the vegetables and stuff cost (since they're being eaten by everyone else anyway).

25 chicken carceses- $5

5 Kilos chicken mince pet- $4

5 kilos beef mince pet - $4

Supermarket bag lamb bones -$2

2 marrow bones cut into 4- $3

WTF :)

Chicken carcass' here cost about $2 PER KG!!! Pet mince costs around $3-$4 plus per kg, marrow bones cost about $4 each... where do you live??? I think I'll move there!!! :)

I live in Sydney and I pay:

$4 for 10kg of carcasses from a chinese butcher.

$1.20/kg of pet chicken mince from a chicken shop in a Westfield shopping centre - can be found cheaper, but this is convienient for me.

$1.00/kg for lamb necks - chinese butcher again

off cust the same.

another chenese butcher sells lamb necks for $1 each (less than a kg each)

And the are all cut to the size I want!

$1.50 chicken necks - poultry wholesaler

$1.69 chicken wings - 3 shops at westfields sell them for that much.

Well I guess I'm going to have to find myself a nice chinese butcher :D :)

3 dogs

$30.00 per week for euk

$10.00 per week for chicken wings

$20.00 per week for mince

$10.00 per week yummys

$70.00 per week approx for 3 gsds walked daily

4 cats

$20.00 week for optimun fur ball biscuits

$7.00 week for tinned food

$5.00 week for extras

$32.00 per week to feed

I am not going to put horse feed here but I will say the hay is over $20.00 per bale, I would have a fit if I added up the feeding costs of all my animals, my groceries are cheaper. :o

Our 18mth old male Mallie is 45kg and exercises for about 20 mins each day ( He has HD).

He costs us $12.60 per week in food and $7.63 per week in meds for his hip.

Per day he eats:

2 cups of Supercoat - 65c

250g of fresh mince - 70c

100g of natural yoghurt - 20c

3x20g supercoat bones - 25c

1 Teaspooon Cod liver oil - 9c

1500mg Glucosamine - $1.00

I was only talking with another trainer about this today :o

It costs me $47 per week for the 4 greyhounds - just for the absolute minimum basics (not counting lambs necks, chicken necks/frames, or any additives).

I am not going to put horse feed here but I will say the hay is over $20.00 per bale, I would have a fit if I added up the feeding costs of all my animals, my groceries are cheaper. :laugh:

LOL isaviz!!

Having Horses and Dogs is a killer hey! Lets not talk about how much the horses cost!

I refuse to add up our feed costs for all of them :banghead:

It may not be good for OHs blood pressure.

Seriously though, it would be nice to have access to the good deals you can get down in the big smoke!!

And yes the humans are far cheaper to feed :angel:

I feed Belle 3 cups of Pro Plan a day and 2 sheeps hearts and that works out to about $10.00 a week.......

(but this whole calculation has gone straight out the window at the moment though as she is pregnant and eating us out of house and home......for example yesterday she managed to polish off 6 cups pro plan, 4 sheeps hearts, 1 meat pie, 5 dog biscuits, my daughters left over beef stew from dinner and the contents of both of the cats bowls.......lol......i think she is eating for 20.....)

But normally when she isnt pregnant its about $10 a week...

Kellie :scared: