Should I Be Worried

Im so sorry this has happened to you Busters Mum.

There is a good chance that if he was vaccinated when he was very underweight (which the vet should not have done - only very healthy dogs should be vaccinated) that the vaccine actually gave him the virus. Sorry if this sounded harsh :thumbsup: its just that it really infuriates me when vets vaccinate unhealthy dogs. They should know better.

Hugs to you and I hope he pulls through ok.

Jen

Thanks Jen. He was underweight but I suppose in fairness to the vet, Billy was bouncing around and seemed fine in every other way.

Two other dogs that were rescued from this pound around the same time have also now been diagnosed with parvo but as they are only 4 months old they have almost no chance. We also found out that a dog was pts the day after I got Billy so we suspect parvo there as well.

I still haven't lost hope for Billy.

Edited by Buster's Mum

There is a good chance that if he was vaccinated when he was very underweight (which the vet should not have done - only very healthy dogs should be vaccinated) that the vaccine actually gave him the virus.

Sorry, but that isn't right.

The vaccines for Parvo, either live or killed can not GIVE a dog the actual virus regardless of the weight or general health of a pup.

Being that this vet clinic is also the impounding facility for the area, the pups would have already been infected with Parvo virus prior to vaccination and desexing.

Putting an underweight pup IMO (regardless of whether it was happy and playful at the time) immediately out of its impound time, under a GA is not only foolish but a waste of the financial resources of a Rescue. I can't figure out why or how the pup was approved/passed as being fit for surgery.

For a dog/pup, being impounded creates/induces stress.

Stress lowers the immune system.

Putting a pup under a GA can lower the immune system for a short period. (all mine get a small shot of Amoxil at the time of surgery anyway).

So you have an underweight, stressed pup being given a live vaccine for at least 3 different diseases (depending on which vaccine is used..... increase potential for problems the more the pup is vaccinated for at the time), then put under a GA, then put into a new environment with different food, people and dogs and you've got the prefect level of high stress/highly compromised immune system trying to fight off a deadly disease!

I classify ALL pups as immuno-compromised until they have settled in here for at least 7 days and any pup under 12wks is automatically given a low dose course of Amoxil for 3 days to help boost the immune response to anything they may have picked up in the pound.

I vaccinate all pups on the day of arrival into care with PARVAC, the killed virus as it is safer to use on immunosuppressed dogs/pups and has virtually no negative side effects. If they have been infected with Parvo prior to coming into care, it may bring the disease to the fore quicker, but often, it kicks in an immune response and can actually help the pup fight the full blown disease if it occurs several days after being in care.

I mean no disrespect to the vet or to the level of care the pup has received BUT sadly, whilst Parvo quite likely would not have been avoided, the pup never got a proper chance to build his immunity or his body up so that he had a greater chance to beat the disease.

I sincerely hope that he survives. Poor little bub.

There is a good chance that if he was vaccinated when he was very underweight (which the vet should not have done - only very healthy dogs should be vaccinated) that the vaccine actually gave him the virus.

Sorry, but that isn't right.

The vaccines for Parvo, either live or killed can not GIVE a dog the actual virus regardless of the weight or general health of a pup.

Sorry Cordelia, but it is right. Vaccines CAN and do cause the disease they are designed to prevent. It has happened countless times with humans as well.

Even a lady I know had her dog contract Distemper from the vaccine because her immune system was low and she should not have been vaccinated.

I can dig up more info if you like, but I have done a fair amount of research on the dangers of vaccines after Kirra had her reaction.

Jen

I vaccinate all pups on the day of arrival into care with PARVAC, the killed virus as it is safer to use on immunosuppressed dogs/pups and has virtually no negative side effects. If they have been infected with Parvo prior to coming into care, it may bring the disease to the fore quicker, but often, it kicks in an immune response and can actually help the pup fight the full blown disease if it occurs several days after being in care.

This scares me a bit Cordelia. :thumbsup:

I hope I am misunderstanding what you have said.

Are you saying you vaccinate even if the dog appears not to be in good health?? The vaccine manufacturers do state on their labels that ONLY healthy dogs are to be vaccinated. So vaccinating suspected unhealthy dogs is against the manufacturers directions.

Jen

the killed virus as it is safer to use on immunosuppressed dogs/pups and has virtually no negative side effects.

I have recently read some information that Killed or live modified vacs are sometimes worse for immune suppresed dogs because of the agents that are incorporated into them to keep the viable... I'm sure if you did a google you could find the information...

Dan

This scares me a bit Cordelia.

No need to be frightened for my pups Jen. :thumbsup:

Are you saying you vaccinate even if the dog appears not to be in good health?? The vaccine manufacturers do state on their labels that ONLY healthy dogs are to be vaccinated. So vaccinating suspected unhealthy dogs is against the manufacturers directions.

Did I say that? No I didn't. But perhaps I should explain myself a tad better anyway.

If a pup is obviously unwell, particularly with vomiting and diarrhoea when I arrive at the pound to pick it up....... it stays there and is euthanased.

I'm not going to risk the numerous other pups in my care for one already displaying possible symptoms of Parvo virus and it would be careless and irresponsible of me to do so (imo).

If I suspected a pup or dog was unhealthy, it would depend entirely on what symptoms it was displaying at the time before I made an educated decision for or against either bringing it home from the pound or vaccinating once in care.

Very rarely would I choose not to vaccinate.

(NOTE: again...i use PARVAC which is the killed virus and is safe for use in pregnant and lactating bitches, underage pups who have been/are being hand-reared, as well as being recommended for use in otherwise compromised pups if need be). ie: if the pup has been in contact with Parvo Virus within a day or so before coming into care but is still healthy in all other ways (including healthy weight), then I would vaccinate, watch and pray.

Please note that Parvac is allowed to be given by people other than a Registered Vet whereas C3 and higher vaccines are not due to the increased risks of reactions to live vaccines.

Sorry Cordelia, but it is right. Vaccines CAN and do cause the disease they are designed to prevent.

We shall just have to agree to disagree on that point. I have no intention of arguing about it. :worship:

Yesterday Billy was still not very well and we were really wondering how much more he could take. This morning one of the vets walked in and Billy was sitting up wagging his tail at her. He was even showing interest in food so they gave him a teaspoon of food. He is now on some sort of glucose solution and a food gel which I think they said was Nutrigel or something like that. They have told me that if he continues like this then he can come home tomorrow.

We chose the name Billy after a very good friend of ours who is a real fighter and it looks like his namesake takes after him.

Thankyou all so much for your good wishes for Billy. I'm looking forward to giving him the kind of life he deserves instead of the one he has had so far.

:laugh:

They have told me that if he continues like this then he can come home tomorrow.

Thats fantastic news BustersMum......lets hope he continues to do well, and you should be so proud of yourself for giving this little guy a second chance, despite his sickness. :thumbsup:

First of all thankyou to everyone for your good wishes and kind thoughts.

Billy is now home and although he has lost quite a lot of weight he is doing really well. He has improved so much today now that he is eating and his appetite is huge so I have to be really careful to take things slowly with him.

I think he is also enjoying being spoilt with lots of cuddles and a nice warm comfy bed.

Edited by Buster's Mum