Should I Be Worried

My rescue dog I got on Monday night will be sitting here fine then suddenly start panting like he has just run a 4 minute mile. It will only go for around 5-10 seconds then go back to normal. He is sitting on my lap while I am typing and has done it about 4 times in the last couple of minutes.

He is really under weight and was desexed on Monday night. He is eating like a horse and walking around fine so should I be worried?

Edited by Buster's Mum

Check his gums and make sure that they are red.

I would be ringing the vet and asking - even if it is just for peace of mind.

His back end might be getting sore if he has just been desexed and it might be stressing him.

Edited by Ci

How long have you had the dog?

What (approx.) breed is he? (Assuming he might be XBred?)

Does this happen after eating?

Does he seem disorientated when he's running his circles?

Sorry just reread and noticed you got Monday night so we won't want to know that again :rofl:

Edited by t-time

Last night he wouldn't eat dinner and began vomiting at 8pm. I checked on him at 3.30am and he had not been sick since 11pm when I went to bed. By 6.30 he had tried to drink a lot of water and it just came back up.

I took him to the vet's first thing and he tested positive for parvo. The test came back quickly and with a strong reading.

After what he has been through this week his chances are 50/50 at best, he is underweight, was desexed Monday and has heavy sneezing which could be kennel cough.

I feel sick to my stomach for this poor little bloke and for my other boy who is now sneezing more than usual. Buster has been fully vaccinated but I will be sick with worry for the next couple of weeks in case he has caught anything.

I was trying to save this poor little guy but might have put my own healthy dog at risk...I feel sick.

How terrible for you.....................I hope he makes a speed recovery.

What did the vet say about your dog, if your dog has been vaccianted against it shouldn't he be OK?

Edited by Ci

Thanks again everyone and Dogbesotted that is so generous of you thankyou so much for the offer.

The little fella is hanging in there with only minor vomiting and a tiny bit of diarrhea. He is not on a drip as they are managing to get him to hold down some water so they are injecting him with anti-nausea and pain relief meds. He doesn't seem to be in any pain which make the decision for treatment much easier. I don't know if I could cope with the thought of him suffering.

I'm not getting too carried away as he can still go downhill but I can't help but hope he pulls through and I can bring him home . The vet is a lovely man who is very patient with me even though he knows I will be calling him everyday first thing.

Thankyou all so much again and I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Buster's Mum

Desexing so soon after release from the pound can in fact bring Parvo into full blown disease much quicker due to the stress of it all.

Not forgetting that Parvo tests commonly show a false positive.

Odd that they don't have him on a drip regardless. NBM is always advised until they are over the worst so the gut can rest properly.

Hoping he'll pull through and be fine. Good Luck.

Under what circumstances would a test show a false positive? This was one of the questions I asked. Seeing he had been vaccinated on the Monday I wondered if we were getting a false reading because of the vaccination but the vet said no.

I also thought it strange he wasn't on a drip but I guess I have to trust the vet as he has saved many dogs with parvo which is why we went to him.

Oh no! This is awful, I feel for you. You must be so upset, you were trying to do the right thing by the rescue dog and also your own dog. I can't think of anything more worrying. I thought the vaccination would mean he was safe, didn't it work?

I am thinking of your poor little rescue boy. of luck./

Yes my boy is vaccinated but there is still a slight chance he can get it so I'm keeping an eye on him.

Billy has now been put on a drip as he has got a little worse. He is still sitting up wagging his tail whenever the nurse goes in the room so hopefully this is a good sign. The reason the vet didn't put him on a drip earlier is because he was still fairly alert and may have tried to pull the drip out.

What a little fighter he is.

Id he has recently been vaccinated with a live virus against parvo, the test will be positive.

Hope he makes it. What breed is he?

Stress can bring it on

Also be aware, if he survives, and it is parvo, he will SHED THE VIRUS FOR FOURTEEN DAYS.

Just a quick update as I am really upset atm. Billy took a turn for the worse last night and it is not looking very good at this stage. This was not the news I was hoping for and I am just not prepared for it. He isn't even two years old :thumbsup: . I'm still praying for a miracle.